Thought I blew up the post with my wimpy post, well said.

That is good to know on the HF coils that you can't normalize the id scale.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am one person who has owned and used a Deus, ORX, Multi Kruzer, Nox 600 and Nox 800 enough to know which ones I have confidence in for the places I hunt which have hot rocks, moderate to high minera

So you’d consider the Deus instead. These omissions on lower price machines are not accidents, but carefully chosen. You will find myriad lower price models that lack one or two features a serious det

If you're not sophisticated like me ūüôā the simplicity of the Vanquish is great, it's a turn on and go detector and I like that a lot.¬† I think it's Target ID's are slightly better than the Equinox alth

That was probably one of the best comparison's I've ever seen Chase!!  I will try and commit this to long term memory! (And print)!! Definitely useful as reference material, when things get cloudy!

Thanks!ūüĎćūüĎć

• Thanks 1

I think it is an interesting discussion from a detector nerd sense and when considering detector features but not sure it really plays into day-to-day detecting much from the standpoint of having to commit it to memory. 

I only put it up there because of the repeated "dissatisfaction" I hear regarding the 50 segment ID scale of detectors like the Nox vs. 100 segment scales [not in this thread but elsewhere on the forum].  It illustrates that one is not necessarily "better" than the other because of the combination of accuracy, precision, and stability which can vary and "more numbers" can actually be a drawback on certain detectors that don't filter well. 

I also find it interesting that I hear a lot of people complain about compressed scales but are perfectly happy to work with 5, 3, or 2 tones vs. 50 or Full tones.  You typically get A LOT more information from audio nuances than numbers on a screen.  Tone purity, duration, variation, how the tone rises and falls tell you a hell of a lot about the target.  A lot more than you can get from a 2 digit number on a screen.  I hunt mostly by tone and use the screen as just another data point or to back up what I am hearing.  I don't care as much about the specific number as I do about the range it falls in (ferrous, mid conductor, high conductor) [that's why I never bother with memorizing TID charts] and how stable a repeatable the number is and whether I can manipulate my coil swing into a wiggle to lock onto the desirable tone/TID.  It is almost as if (but not quite) having 50 tones is more important than having 50 numbers.  Could I get away with 5 numbers.  Maybe, if the tones were good  but a 50 seems perfectly fine to me and 100 doesn't seem necessary.  On a different note, I think 2-D 4 digit TID on the FBS+ machines (CTX, eTrac) is very useful because you are getting a conductivity number AND a ferrous component.  These two numbers together tell you a lot more than conductivity alone and enable very sophisticated discrimination patterns.

Also  to be clear in 50 tones on the Nox or full tones on the Deus, I couldn't tell you the difference between a nickel and pristine pull tab from tone pitch alone (where pitch defines tone ID) but I might be able to better tell you if the tab were bent and causing tone ID bounce (Nox flutey tones) or distortion (Deus full tones) vs. 3 or 5 tones on the same machines combined with a visual target ID to make a dig decision, if that makes sense.  In other words 50 tones + 50 visual TID segments is more useful to me than 5 tones + 100 visual ID segments.

That is not to say you can't get that nuanced audio information from 2 or 3 tones, you can, depending on the detector - but if you want as much info as possible, I think having the choice of more tones or highly variable tones on the right detector gives you that more than target ID numbers.  In fact, I like to use VCO pitch on my Deus and Gold mode VCO (or even pinpoint tone on the Nox) on my Nox which gives zero Tone ID info but plenty of info about the nature of the target (depth, shape (symmetry), and footprint (size)).  In that case visual target ID becomes "more" important in a sense, but I am still looking for ID ranges rather than precise numbers.

The key is getting the right combo of audio and target ID working together to help you make the dig decision. 

To tie this back to the original thread topic, the Equinox and Deus, for me, have the ideal combination of tone options and visual ID information, and I have not seen that optimal combo on really any other detector that I have used, and I have sampled many brands of detectors.  Maybe that's why I use those 2 detectors the most.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Say on the Nox the nickel is varying between 12 and 14.  This would equate to a variation of 51 to 63 on the Deus.

OK, I reread the full post and it makes sense.  I disagree on a few minor points (mostly about definitions, though) and those aren't worth bringing up since it doesn't really add to the meaning/value of the topic.  But the above (quote) has me confused.

In your post I recall that the full scale range of the Eqx was 50 values and for the Deus, 100 values.  Wouldn't that mean that 12-->14 on the Eqx (which in theory for a continuous scale is anything between 11.5 and 14.5 -- a 'distance' of 3) should be a distance of twice that = 6 on the Deus?  So if the Deus sweetspot for USA nickel is 57, the nickel should show up between 54 and 60 (inclusive)?

IMO, the two things that are important are repeatability and resolution.  Repeatability because you want a particular target to give the same value every time, regardless of variables (e.g. properties related to its exact location) and resolution to allow you to separate/distinguish different type targets.  As long as you do those two I don't feel that more is needed.  But, yes, things like stability can lead to poorer repeatability and worse resolution.

I completely agree with you on hunting by audio. Majority of my hunting has been with my Tesoro and have far more hours on that machine over all my other machines combined.

The only time not having a normalized id scale is if the user is using a 2 tone, 3 tone or 4 tone and had customized their tone breaks for a particular frequency.

As an example if I had set my tone breaks on my MK so one tone crackles on a beaver tail and the  next breaks on a degraded zinoln then I change frequencies then those breaks no longer work. Idealy it would be nice if the manufacturer moved those custom breaks as the user changes frequencies.

If a machine is too hot for the conditions you will get jumpy tid's. That shouldn't be confused with poor precision of the machine or innacuracies of the machine itself but rather poor or uncalibrated settings from the user to the surrounding conditions.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kac said:

The only time not having a normalized id scale is if the user is using a 2 tone, 3 tone or 4 tone and had customized their tone breaks for a particular frequency.

That is an excellent point.  I am personally lazy and do not futz with customizing tone breaks which is another reason I normally go with 50 or Full tones or pitch. But that tone break customization ability makes a case for using 3 or 5 tones and I get that works well for many folks.  I will use 5 tones in a pinch, especially on the beach, but still never futz with the default tone breaks.

• Like 3
On 10/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, GB_Amateur said:

In your post I recall that the full scale range of the Eqx was 50 values and for the Deus, 100 values.  Wouldn't that mean that 12-->14 on the Eqx (which in theory for a continuous scale is anything between 11.5 and 14.5 -- a 'distance' of 3) should be a distance of twice that = 6 on the Deus?  So if the Deus sweetspot for USA nickel is 57, the nickel should show up between 54 and 60 (inclusive)?

Chuck - You are right from a math standpoint but the scale is not exactly linear across the entire range, especially when you throw TID high conductor compression into the equation associated with jamming the high conductor TIDs into a fixed 100 point scale when the TIDs want to increase with operating frequency.  I found that using a ratio of 55/13 to "fudge" the TIDs in my example actually gave more realistic TID numbers (i.e., numbers that I have actually seen in the field for the targets I was talking about) than if I used straight linear match 55/23 (i.e., 13 +10 for the iron range).  I don't know why but I think it compensates for the non-linear nature of the scales, especially since I am comparing a normalized scale (Nox) vs. an un-normalized scale (Deus).  Anyway, I think it illustrated the points I was trying to make if not true to algebra.  But that just goes to show that TID just has so many variables that it is hard to compare different detector scales on an apples-to-apples basis.  So scale "linearity" also needs to be thrown in there as well as the other attributes (accuracy, precision, repeatability).

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Stu
      I've found all these lumps of lead over a number of years and kept them together, and I just found them again in a box in the corner of a dark cupboard - and thought it worth a post. Here in England we luckily haven't seen any real internal military fighting since the English Civil War (c1640's) so most bullets and musket balls we find all over the place were from hunting, practice or just recreation (not from battlefields). From the time of Elizabeth I (c1570's) the focus has been local training and good practice just in case anyone decided to invade. In Victorian times local militia units, rifle companies and training took place pretty well everywhere.
      These finds, are often not obvious and thrown in with the junk lead - I think are really good examples of what they are.  They also come in a massive variety of annoying smaller fragments. The Minie bullets I have phrased as mushroom (fairly obvious why) and shoot-through. A shoot-through from where the base of the bullet, after the bullet hitting something soft?, has pushed through the soft hot lead and turned the bullet inside out. There may be some technical phrase for these things, but in my mind this is what I call them if ever found. A pancake is a flat one, fired at something hard, and normally having an imprint of sandstone brick, or rough hewn granite - the common stone for dry stone walls, or gate posts for the well off farmers of old.
      The silver coin is a Victorian sixpence. It has been used as a target and suffered the consequences - but probably from a later jacketed .303 bullet as tiny bits of copper are embedded in the silver after the massive force of impact obliterated it.   

• By Jason China
      I bought a Nokta Makro Pulse Dive, but I won't snorkel, I need to buy goggles and snorkel, what else? I have no experience, but I am willing to work hard to learn, only by using Pulse Dive can I avoid crowds, and that is, what kind of bag to use in the water to reduce drag to collect!
    • By Joe D.
      Hello all,
          I went back to the lake where i found a 1935 Walking Liberty Half, at the beginning of the year! I believe that coin was a fluke find, as none of my other coins found there even come close to that date range!
         Today, i went to another shallow water area where jet ski's tend to hang out, while people rest, or work on them! I had no expections of this spot, other than it has been on my "to detect" mental list for awhile!
          I was there about 3 hours, and only worked about a 5x20 foot area against the shore, but the targets were layered and plentiful! I unfortunately did not get any old coins or gold, but the amount of targets in this small area kept me plenty busy! 
          I used Park 1, with sensitivity at 23, in a depth from few inches to about 2 feet! I was digging most every signal, and got very good at telling what denomination the coin targets where! And for many, i used my pinpointer for the final recovery, as most where under four inches in depth! I was really hoping for some lost jewelry, but no luck this time out! 
          It seems that no one has bothered to detect this spot, due to the amount of targets i found in such a small area! While these are not very worthwhile targets, they are typical of my area, and provide some good practice with the Nox!
      ¬† ¬† I'm sure i can get a few more good hauls from this spot, as there is still quite a bit that is still unsearched! Maybe a little gold the next time out!ūü§ě¬† ūüĎćūüĎć

** I wanted to add my thoughts on the bullet below! I'm a hunter, but by no means a bullet expert! So you ballistic's guy's, please chime in!!
      ¬† ¬† I believe that this bullet was fired in the air, and landed in the lake intact! I'm almost certain that there are rifiling marks around the base that show it was fired! (two are visible in pic)! Not sure of the caliber, but it's on top of a quarter for¬†scale! Let me know your thoughts!ūüĎćūüĎć

• By phrunt
      My daughter had a friends party to go to this weekend, it's currently a long weekend not that it changes my life but it means a lot of people are off on adventures and doing small breaks, I figured seeing I was going to be right near the beach to pick my daughter up from the party I'd take my detector for a quick hunt.  I only had a couple of hours and I didn't think I'd find much, although I think it's a nice beach it's not overly busy and as we are just in spring the hot beach weather isn't quite here yet, although today was 25 degrees celsius which is 77f in the old money so it was pretty warm.  A few surfers were out but not much in the way of beach goers hanging around on the beach which was good.
      I had my pooch with me as he seemed to be itching for some time away from the house but my wife mostly looked after him, he came and did a bit of detecting but he was just getting in the way.

I parked near a giant concrete whale for a look around then moved on, the area didn't look like a good detecting spot, too many people around for my liking as there was a playground nearby.

A bit further along seemed alright, parked down near the beach but had to go exploring the hill to see what was about.... my dog dragged me up.

the beach is covered in pebbles and shells, it's also typical of a New Zealand beach with a lot of black sand, the Nox was a constant -9 on the entire beach.  I was hoping this big bit of drift wood might have something under it from people sitting on it, but there was nothing..... I also wasn't finding any junk anywhere.  I was wondering if my Nox was just struggling with the black sand.  The ground balance was fine on it though, it wasn't an issue unless I went to all metal then it was always -9.

Next Stop! Antarctica!
      I found I had to ground balance a bit as the concentrations of black sand were pretty obvious.
      I did a bit more explorirng and found an area that looks like the tides go into it moving the sand around.

and had my first good target in the bottom channel of it.

Not even sure what coin it is ūüôā
      My next coin was in a similar area further along, I wasn't overly gridding or doing anything fancy, just walking along exploring.

This area looked like the water had washed it out, like sluicing from gold miners ūüôā I have no idea how to read beaches, I was probably more thinking prospecting than beach detecting.¬† You'll notice all my dig holes in the above photo, all coins.

Often quite deep too ,and all old, no modern currency all coins from some time ago.

an old Shilling, not sure if it's silver but very likely as most years of shillings were.  It's ID was right for a silver shilling.

Next coin.

A Florin, also an old coin, 1950.  I might be the first person to detect this area, or the first person with a detector good enough to see through all the black sand to get these deeper coins, someone had obviously gone through and cleaned up any modern shallow finds as I wasn't finding modern coins.
      I was finding Target ID's were terrible until I had them out of the dig holes, the black sand really messed with ID's so I was just digging all targets, often hunting in pinpoint mode as it worked better than normal modes, especially now I knew there was old deep coins.

This one was quite deep too, I found it in pinpoint mode, I had no idea what I'd found at the time, a coin I'd never seen before.

It's from French Polynesia.

A nice bit of Paua Shell (Abalone)

Nothing down near the water, most the coins I found were in that sluiced out looking channel that I guess the tides washed out.
      Time to go pick my daughter up....   The time went way too fast as I was having fun.

All except the bright silver coin are old currency, no longer in circulation.  The only junk I found the entire time were the two sinkers.

And the French Polynesia coin.

It's 100 French Franc's from 1984 with a mintage of about 500,000 and some info about it here https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1356.html
      French Polynesia is a French overseas collectivity in the South Pacific between Australia and Chile. Its main island is Tahiti and its population is 270,000.
      Might of been a good place to use the Fisher Impulse AQ.... no junk, plenty of finds, lots of black sand...... Only problem is I don't have one, yet.....  I might try the QED there next time.  This time I wasn't even armed with a sand scoop or anything, just my prospecting plastic scoop, I was very under prepared for a beach detect, at least I had the F-pulse with me as it handles the beach well, much better than my Carrot AT.
    • By mn90403
      We had a blow over the weekend and I was there.  A huge cut was formed at the beach.  I had new personal bests in total rings (10 for a day), gold rings (5) and quarters (64).  I took a break to eat during the evening so I have two 'sessions' at the same beach.  It was good enough to return with my sore back.  It was a target rich environment.

The total for all change was $24.03 which is also a personal high for change.  I have found $20 bills on the beach in the past.

These are the rings by session.  More after I went back and the tide went out a bit than the first go.

The L ring was the first ring I found it is 14k/3.2g.  The other ring is 1.3g/18k.

The green ring is 1.9g/14k.  The black ring is 5.5g/titanium Legend of Zelda ring.

The crusty ring is 3.5g/.925.  The yellow stone ring is 3.8g/18k.

This is a little 'old' ring and a cheap 'love' ring.

The ring on the left is 16.9g/18k but I question it.  The ring on the right is silver and is the last ring I found.

The reason I 'question' it is that it had some green corrosion on it you can see in the first picture and now when I go to clean it the pocks appear even with the gold color.  Perhaps that means it is a high copper ring?  I also think it is 'old' but some of the edges don't look like it has worn that much in the wet surf/sand where I found it.  Comments are welcome.
      Mitchel

• By FloridaSon
      After a recent multi day erosion event, Equinox owners racked up on musket balls and other relics. The majority of detectors were the NOX. Then with a few degrees wind shift it’s all over until the next time.