I once transcribed the journal of a 21 year old farmer from Quincy MA who sailed from Boston in January 1849 for the gold mines of California.  It's called James White's Journal.  It's free on Apple iBooks and $2.99 on Kindle.  It's the real deal.  No romanticism.  Just what it was like.

• Like 6
On 10/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, GB_Amateur said:

However I'm sure there are many in the state as well as geographers and historians who would take exception to the second sentence.  California is far more than simply good farmland, independent of its (historic) gold wealth.  A better subject of speculation, IMO, asks what percentage of its current residents are even aware of those two traits.

I absolutely agree with you. It is unimaginable that we would have failed to develop so great a part of the country. And, like you point out, I'm sure many people who live in Oakland are unaware of what gorgeous countryside their city has been plopped down on.

16 hours ago, oldmancoyote1 said:

I once transcribed the journal of a 21 year old farmer from Quincy MA who sailed from Boston in January 1849 for the gold mines of California.  It's called James White's Journal.  It's free on Apple iBooks and $2.99 on Kindle.  It's the real deal.  No romanticism.  Just what it was like.

That sounds like a fascinating read. I may confiscate my girlfriend's device so I can read it. Link's here for anyone else who is interested.

• Like 1
On 10/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, mn90403 said:

KellycoDetectors,

I've seen this same post on another forum.  I hope when you post this information on each of the forums because you are seeking business it is not just a 'boiler plate' presentation.  You may find that you will be losing goodwill for your brand here if you do that.

Now, if you are someone who wants to interact with Steve's forum readers and get involved in the discussions you will build a following just as the many other dealers already here do.

Please consider this before you flood us with social media marketing strategy.  Some of us may object.

Mitchel

Spot on. Every sales job out there now is for "Digital Marketing". Sounds like they hired some digital guru who said " let's flood every MDing site out there". It is for this specific reason I will not buy ANY from this company. 

Hey @King-Of-Bling, @Swegin, @mn90403! We talked with Steve about interacting here in the forum, and sharing some of what we consider to be our best content on-site.  We got the green light.  If you aren't interested in what we're posting, that's okay.  We can also post the whole piece if desired (like @Swegin mentioned).  But we didn't want to "flood" things here b/c we weren't sure how long to make these posts.  It's a work-in-progress as we figure things out.  And don't worry, this isn't a monologue with us just posting and not responding.  You can see that we do respond (look later in this thread) i.e. we're trying to make this a dialogue.  Appreciate your collective patience, and see y'all here in the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Since we're talking about community involvement and sharing, I should tell you that we've just released a bunch of previously-unpublished guides to where to actually detect. Have a look: https://www.kellycodetectors.com/pages/metal-detecting-site-locators-by-state/

• Like 5

Last I looked I'm the only moderator on these forums. I have basic rules governing behavior, which in general say be polite and respectful. A couple responses here don't seem to fit that mold. On the other hand, our new member has done nothing against my rules. The was some relevant content posted, with a link to a continuation of that content.

There are no dealer or manufacturer sponsors here. However, I do not prohibit dealers or dealer representatives as long as they play by my rules, and do not get obnoxious over doing promotional efforts. Too much, and it does turn into spamming. My rules for dealers here.

On the other hand, saying you linked to Kellyco to complete the content due to being afraid of exceeding limits.... let's not be disingenuous. I'm a straight shooter, and appreciate the same in others.

As KellycoDetectors is learning, anything perceived as outright in your face sales these days is as likely to backfire as not. Dealers get there best success here by being helpful and answering questions people have, not through direct sales efforts.

Dealers can have some great access to information and knowledge worth sharing, and as long as there is a benefit to the members from a dealer presence, all is well. If the sole goal is to make sales pitches, it won't last. If this turns into spamming, I will deal with it. For others who have zero tolerance, it is simple to ignore users if you choose to not see their posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I for one will never give a cent of my money to people who knowingly sell scam devices and ripoff the very people they want to be a "community" with and I will definitely point it out the same as I would if a Nigerian Prince showed up here trying to gin up business.

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/okm-bionic-x4-long-range-gold-metal-detector

That's the cheap one, they have one they are trying to get $30k out of made by the same company, which I can only assume is also based on such ridiculously bogus tecnology as "long range gold ion detection" and "Bio-Energy-System" which uses the power of the operators body to find long range gold.

Shameful in my opinion, Kellyco.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't disagree about that Jason, and frankly I'm glad you brought it up. I also avoid doing business with anyone that sells LRL devices. We are not alone, and Kellyco would do well to swear off doing this. It might make a few bucks, but it is also costing them sales. I won't say I've never done business with Kellyco, but all things being equal I'll go elsewhere when possible over this one thing.

Just an FYI for everyone... any dealer presence on this forum does not mean I support said dealers. I try to stay neutral. I generally avoid the subject when people ask me to recommend a dealer, and the fact is if I need gear I'll get it from my old shop in Alaska unless they just can't get it for me. So now you know where my loyalties are. :smile:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Last I looked I'm the only moderator on these forums.

Absolutely correct and I for one don't want your job.  I greeted KellycoDetectors when they joined and wondered what would follow.

We normally have a name and then a company with other forum members.  I've seen in the replies a reference to 'we' but I don't know 'who' is responding.  I didn't see a name on the profile and the posts I read are not signed.  Just wondering who in Kelly Co we are chatting with.

Mitchel

• Like 2