Rye Patch, Nevada

I’ve heard of folks hunting the Rye Patch area of Nevada.  How do they gain access?  Do they have their own claim?  Are there Open to the Public areas?  What about Local Prospecting Clubs?

Thanks!

Walt

Walt,

I don't know why you haven't gotten a reply sooner but I'll take a stab at it.  I first read about Rye Patch many years ago on Chris Ralph's site here:

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/majuba_mtns.htm

It is still one of the best ways to learn about Rye Patch.  Now that you know where it is then you can look at many, many other threads and pictures of gold found there by searching Rye Patch on this forum.

I know this will help.

Mitchel

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Walt,

I don't know why you haven't gotten a reply sooner but I'll take a stab at it.  I first read about Rye Patch many years ago on Chris Ralph's site here:

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/majuba_mtns.htm

It is still one of the best ways to learn about Rye Patch.  Now that you know where it is then you can look at many, many other threads and pictures of gold found there by searching Rye Patch on this forum.

I know this will help.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel!  Looks live you live in the place of my birth.  I love detecting that beach.  I don't know how long you've been there but I used to visit my Grandmother every summer.  They had an Amusement park on a pier near Venice called Pacific Ocean Park (POP).

41 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

Thanks Mitchel!  Looks live you live in the place of my birth.  I love detecting that beach.  I don't know how long you've been there but I used to visit my Grandmother every summer.  They had an Amusement park on a pier near Venice called Pacific Ocean Park (POP).

POP now lives on the Santa Monica Pier.  It is posted on the Ferris Wheel.  They have a small roller coaster. 

Here is the park you were talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ocean_Park

I've been here since 79.  The Ocean Park Pier was already gone.  I just read about the auctioning off all the rides and things.  I had never read the details of the old park before.

When I look at those pictures I can see there was a lot less sand than now.

Walt, people generally hunt the odd land sections at the majuba placers, as the mineral rights are held by a big mining company- Newmont I believe.   The even land sections are mostly claimed- old claims.  I once paid the guy at the pizza joint to hunt his land there.  But Im not sure what the latest status is.

• Like 1

Wes, does that mean that Newmont (or whoever the mining company is), doesn't worry about the surface finds so much? I had once heard they like it if you let them know where you find stuff…but that was awhile ago.

The past ten time I have been to RP I saw 2 people in total. The place is basically given up, unless some special events are taking place in form of sporadic outings/learning courses. I try to stay on unclaimed land, but honestly, nobody cares where you are detecting, really (which should not be an invitation however to not care)

• Like 2

One older guy from Florida who read about the wonders of RP but who was kind of lost, and one lady who was frantically looking for buried gold from a dead friend....

13 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Wes, does that mean that Newmont (or whoever the mining company is), doesn't worry about the surface finds so much? I had once heard they like it if you let them know where you find stuff…but that was awhile ago.

It appears that way Flak, Even when RP was popular, they never posted signs regarding mineral rights.

I believe someone in wspa contacted them some years back,  and they had no issues with detecting at the time and were pleased someone actually asked.  Also Hycroft gave us the ok on their holdings over by Sawtooth. Its always nice to have a good clear conscience when finding gold.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WesD said:

Its always nice to have a good clear conscience when finding gold.

Couldn't say it any better than that. Thanks Wes.

• Like 1