Minelab Repair, Pa

dewcon4414

Last week my battery conked out.  The Nox ran on the charger..... but not the battery.  I called Keith Leppert my dealer out of Fort Bedford Metal Detectors, where by the way ML repair is, and asked him what i needed to do.  He gave me a phone number and they gave me an RMA to send the machine in.   When i took the machine apart ... i noticed stress cracks in the plastic mounts that holds the bolts in on the pod.  She added that to my battery issue.   They received it on Friday and i got a message from John who said they would get right on it, but because of the Virus there could be a delay but to please be patient and they would let me know.   3 more Emails on Monday from different people lol.  Thanking me for choosing  ML, my machine was repaired and heres the tracking number.   Never said what they did....... so i contacted Kieth late in the evening.  Next morning he said they replaced the pod.  Thats a high five to ML in my book.  They have just been awesome to me on this machine.  Keith as a dealer ...... great to deal with, id highly recommend him any day.  He will spend the time talking to you about hunting as well as a machine if you have the time ...... he takes the time.  Plus..... the ML repair shop is right there. 

I happened to check those bolt mounts because two friends had they pods break completely off the shaft.  Keith said the after market shafts maybe the issue.  Apparently the OD on some maybe to small.  So people are over tightening them.  Also if its to small it wears the CF enough they get re-tightened.   Keiths word of caution .... take care in tightening those bolts.

• Like 6

On 10/14/2020 at 3:03 PM, dewcon4414 said:

I happened to check those bolt mounts because two friends had they pods break completely off the shaft.  Keith said the after market shafts maybe the issue.  Apparently the OD on some maybe to small.  So people are over tightening them. 

Lets just say it for what it is.  The 3/4 pods we know of now that came apart have all been used by beach hunters.  We WILL see more!  This is exactly why I do not use my detector as the grip. 

• Like 1

Im confused as to what you use as a grip if the pod is the grip?   We also have to understand .......Aluminum vs CF.  Size can vary, but im not of the opinion it has much to do with size.  Im more incline putting metal into hardened plastic with the torque some of us put on that pod with constant use in the water is the cause.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

m confused as to what you use as a grip if the pod is the grip?  

This is a preliminary picture. The finished version has a large plastic washer on top and the pod is closer. I can hit all the keys with my fingers. 

Nox Shaft.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FloridaSon said:

thats a really good idea. Is this a through bolted DIY handle?

Not bolted. But clamped on. These are called "bicycle handlebar ends" and can be bought at different outlets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Bicycle-Handlebar-End-Mountain-Bike-Handle-Bar-Ends/254712805750?hash=item3b4e10f976:g:VLgAAOSw3uxfVwJm

There are lots of different styles. I like the straight ones and open on the end so I can pin a piece of wood into it and put a plastic top on it. This allows your hand grip to be soft and give more control of the sweep. Also I add a nice foam grip to this! 

Been using this for years, very kind to your poor over worked hands! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, dewcon4414 said:

I happened to check those bolt mounts because two friends had they pods break completely off the shaft.  Keith said the after market shafts maybe the issue.  Apparently the OD on some maybe to small.  So people are over tightening them.  Also if its to small it wears the CF enough they get re-tightened.   Keiths word of caution .... take care in tightening those bolts.

Minelab seconds that caution on tightening those pod mount bolts....there’s an instructional on Minelab’s site for replacing the Li-Ion battery in the Equinox, and for the step on mounting the pod back on to the shaft, Minelab states to tighten those mount bolts with a torque no greater than 1 nM (newton meter), which is equivalent to 8.85 inch pounds or about .74 ft lbs of torque....that’s not a lot of torque!  I suspect Nox owners are tightening those bolts 3-4 times the recommended torque.

058302F1-CCFE-472C-BD67-10D8CB48920A.jpeg

• Like 3

Shame we have to do a mod for this .... but i suspect anyone using the machine in the water ... especially with the large coil should consider this.  Salt water enters that area where the battery is thru the shaft hole..... plastic, well it gets brittle and we put a lot of torque on it.   Thanks for the mode ... i like it.   Especially since i have no idea apparently what 1.0 Nm is lol.  I just grab a driver and get-er tight.

Midlake.... am i seeing those handles kind of flat in the WRONG direction?   Good for bikes....but seems the wrong angle for us.