Another Gold Coin With The Nox

Awsome finds! Is that a broken cup, or bowl surrounding the other objects! And is that a gold ring in the upper right? 👍👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Awsome finds! Is that a broken cup, or bowl surrounding the other objects! And is that a gold ring in the upper right? 👍👍

Turned out it was a broken teapot . If i find a lot of pieces of a pottery item i sometimes take them home and glue them together . I found i hadn't picked up enough of this one to bother . Maybe the old miner smashed it in temper when he realized he had lost his Guinea !

There is a ring there and it is stamped 18k , but must have only been plated as it's all brass now . May have been tossed when the owner found out he had been duped .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Geof-junk , the Guinea must have been carried as a memento or insurance policy as it has not been circulated . Minted at 8.4 grams and still weighs that . Note though the 4 little centre pop marks on the neck line and one on top of the head that have been done with something like a sharp awl . This coin has been personalized , probably in case of theft .

By luck and many hard yards i have now found 4 gold coins in 9 years of detecting , 3 of those in the last 12 months with the wonderful , if leaky , Nox ! Reckon i have used all my luck now .

• Like 5

What an awesome find- congrats! Even with the "awl" marks that coin is a beauty!

• Like 1