I'm awl in on that coin.  Have you had it appraised?  This type of personalization may make it more valuable.  That is what I'd tell them at an auction.  It is not wear.  It is one of a kind.

• Like 2

Good play on words !  No i have not had it appraised and don't think i ever will . I cannot bear to sell any of my finds , my wife and child will deal with that when i am gone . To me all my finds are a story i can hold in my hand , and they represent many hard hours in the bush .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mn90403 said:

This type of personalization may make it more valuable.  That is what I'd tell them at an auction.  It is not wear.  It is one of a kind.

Uh, Mitchel, did you forget to include a smiley face, like this one?  :biggrin:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Stunningly beautiful !   How many gold coins total do you have now ?

Thanks Tom . This one makes four now with three of them inside the last twelve months . I have had an amazing run of luck with my mates giving me some funny looks !

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hunterjunk said:

Thanks Tom . This one makes four now with three of them inside the last twelve months . I have had an amazing run of luck with my mates giving me some funny looks !

Yes, and those mates should be calling you "sir" and "studmuffin" by now !    3 within a year is amazing.  That's like a golfer hitting a hole in one @ 3 times in a single year !    Congratz !

• Like 3
21 hours ago, rudiger said:

Well done, what an awesome find. Are you using a stock coil?

Yes the 11 inch is my bush coil . Drives me nuts with all the sticks that get caught in it but there is no real alternative . I use the 15" in open grassed areas . The 6" drives me nuts , just takes to long to cover any ground . Wish they made a solid 10" for the Nox .

21 hours ago, Hunterjunk said:

Yes the 11 inch is my bush coil . Drives me nuts with all the sticks that get caught in it but there is no real alternative .

Have you seen this:

• Like 2

Thanks for that GB . I have seen it . A couple of years ago i molded up a snap on one . Worked ok but collected rocks and dirt on top of the coil . Was also a bit brittle , when i hit a rock it cracked up . A thin solid coil would have me handing over my cash quickly !

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By relic ray
      Yesterday I and some friends were detecting a very old park. There were 3 flour Mills there dating back to 1850. I found a bell dating to Sept 8, 1863. Likely a bell to one of the flour Mills. The bell is almost 5 inches in diameter. I also found two dimes, 1907 and 1876. The 1876 has a CC mint mark ALA Carson City.
      Finally a few weeks ago in a different park I found a 1909 half dollar. 
      All of this with my new Equinox 800. 

• By dogodog
      My day started by taking my wife to breakfast and a trip to a local greenhouse. On our way back we drove by a place I have wanted to hunt for a while and couldn't because the owners were just not to friendly. But low and behold I noticed some new house development signs. I did a quick title search and found out it was sold and being developed very soon. So I grabbed my stuff and headed back to this 1830's house. Today was the first day since I got the 800 I could spend more than an hour and a half detecting. My first two hours were a pretty much a bust except a cool silver plate spoon and my wife texting me to see if I found anymore jewelry? (NO) I was getting a little frustrated and decided to focus on a small strip of grass (three feet wide) next to the driveway and an overgrown pasture. After five feet  I got an OK 28-29 signal that was kind of bouncy. First good coin popped out a 1905 barber quarter (yes) Things were looking up. I jumped across the driveway and hunted near a rather young pine tree. Two swings and boom a 24-26 and out comes a 1919 mercury. Things are getting interesting. I stood up after digging the merc, swung again got 23-24 at 9 inches out comes a coin that had me wondering what the hell is that. after a little quick cleaning I realized I had a 1832 classic head 1/2 cent. But this was no ordinary 1832 this has an over stamp with a cross and the initials FZ. It seems that it was stamped early in its life. I'm wanting to know if anyone has ever found a coin with stampings? I have found a lot of good coins, but this has now become my favorite. The day came to an end and I had to go and enjoy some burgers on the grill. 
      Almost forgot the spoon, Its an american airlines made in the 1930's with the shape of a dc-3 and the words flagship on it.

• By F350Platinum
      This morning was as windy as yesterday, 30 mph with gusts to 45. It was supposed to settle down and stay kinda cool, so I decided to jump in the waders and hit the river.
      Never saw so much beach before! The tide was way out. I knew low tide was after 12 further down the river so going a couple hours earlier would do.
      Even the old V8 engine block was out of the water today.
      In 5 hours I did pretty good. Got some trash but nothing too trifling, a couple of pull tabs and a beer can or two, some fishing tackle, shotgun shells and some odd bits of lead.
      Bronze bead or roller of some sort, it is not hollow. Nice fancy rivet with a sun pattern, even the shank is patterned. Thin brass device holder of some sort, looks like it had an insert, either stone or cloisonne. Not sure what the copper circular object is but it is thick, heavy and appears to have snapped off something.
      1918 Buffalo nickel, undated Buffalo, wheat and IHP with no dates. I had to break them out of their encrustation. The Buffalos were 9/10, the pennies both 14.
      And the find of the day, I was surprised:
      Solid brass Brown Bess musket buttplate with engraving. At first I thought it was for an Enfield but it's too big. Dates from mid 1700s to mid 1800s.
      Either this place was hit hard for silver or I need a PI detector. 😀 Nickels and pennies are everywhere, there's gotta be some silver coins here.
    • By F350Platinum
      Nothing special today but still productive. I'm thinking the steamboat unloaded passengers on one side (the high pilings), and cargo on the other (ramp).
      Hacked around the "passenger" side but didn't go too far out. The sand got kinda loose, and once gave way. There was a 26 ID object in the pilings, dug out out with my pinpointer and trusty composite shovel, when I got it out it ID'd a 31, it's on the left in the trash photo:
      It's just some sort of aggregate rock, haven't done anything with it yet. The license plate was a 36, again I thought I'd hit the jackpot. 😵 Even the Comet can lid was a solid 22 😀
      The finds:
      Odd brass object, some kinda strainer or lamp thing? Here's the back:
      1892 IHP, it was totally encrusted, but carefully peeling away the black brought forth what was left. Unidentifiable wheat penny, no date. Came out as is. IHP was a 19/20, wheat was a 21/22.
      There is a small area all these coins are all coming from, I'll keep hitting it. I think it may be where people were swimming. Might rake or dig it down a bit to see if there are any silvers there. 

• By Kaolin washer
      What did they feed the pigs ?  restaurant waist, what got in with it ? some of the tips  

• By F350Platinum
      Finally got a chance to hit the steamboat landing on the water today. A coincidental lower tide and great weather made an opportunity for me.
      It's a beautiful place, but fraught with risks from the poison ivy ground cover to the soft sand/muck in the river. There are places here that look solid but you sink immediately should you step there.
      Really didn't find much but didn't expect to. What I was more interested in was getting used to the gear and the conditions, I was wearing waders and using my scoop as a "stabilizer" as well. There are pilings, underwater holes, even saw an engine block out in the river. I only went a little above knee deep today. The water is clear but silts ahead of you as you walk. Water parallax makes it a bit difficult to locate where to scoop, but lifting the coil straight up after pinpointing helps.
      Found some pretty cool stuff, the steamboat mooring line cleat and the old blue medicine bottle were my favorite trash, the cleat was a 36. Thought I'd hit the jackpot. 😀
      I worked my way over to the area I found some completely corroded Indian Heads just before I quit, I was only there about two hours. Got a 9/10, and scooped this very corroded "V" nickel, sadly not enough detail to provide a date. Identified it by size and the bust that was barely visible.Going back soon! They're planting the fields so woods and river are my only local diversions.