• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had one on loan for a few minutes and decided to run it in my test garden .Here are the results.....  

We have grounds that have been pounded to death too. Most of the parks have been reworked over the years so if there are deep coins they are too deep for any detector as drainage systems have been put

This is what I am always puzzled by, people who say they'd use something sub-par when they have the option to use something FAR better.  Sure for day or two for experimenting or a bit of fun or for a

It seemed to do alright on shallow targets, the coil is the limiting factor for me, too small for my deep coins with that detector, it'd be near useless here without a much bigger coil.  I was happy with the target ID's on the shallow coins in your video, seemed more stable than I expected judging by other reports.

• Like 4

Nice test. Looks like it will be a pretty descent coin shooter with that size coil. Might work well for most woods hunting as well. Big fields it seems a bit shallow. Be nice to see what coils roll out for it.

Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 2

I did an other outing 2 days ago with the Apex , a field near a small town . Inland detecting . Sandy low mineralized soil. I confirm what I have already said , I find the Apex audio unpleasant with its too chirpy sounds and some lack of target signal accuracy.  🤨   

Ok I find targets with the Apex , but I would have expected more from a relatively expensive machine at 600 euros , so at the moment I am clearly disappointed with it. My Deus / Vanquish do much better on the same areas, especially on deep targets or in high iron trashed areas  .  For info I have been detecting around 9 hours with the Apex up to now  

On static depth tests the Apex is ok , but in the field it is an other story ...  I also heard other negative feedbacks over here in France  . However I keep the Apex for the moment , waiting for a Garrett fix /download  . If nothing happens during the coming weeks I will sell it.

Would be of course interested by other Apex users feedbacks ... btw I am a little surprised to see so few feedbacks about the Apex in the field in this forum up to now ...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It is a beginners detectors....that is all it is. I am not a beginner and no way shape form or fashion would I WASTE my time in the field with it. It is a good place for someone to start in the hobby to see if they like detecting.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If I was a beginner I would go for a Vanquish 340 or 440.  Less expensive and easier to use than the Apex from what I could see during these tests ...

• Like 4

After using mine about 25 hours on tests and in the field (which included parks, ghost towns and relic sites) I decided to sell mine (resale isn't great). I don't like the audio, recovery speed is subpar and depth is way worse than the Vanquish. The Apex was OK in a park environment with low trash but 6 inches on a coin is about all I could get in my soil. 

palzynski I agree with you that static tests are OK but out in the field the Apex is quirky and unstable especially in trash. It really has a hard time locking onto a target in trash.

I would recommend it to someone who only hunts modern coins in a park or maybe the dry sand at a beach. If you're an advanced user I would steer clear of it. There are other metal detectors in the same price range that perform much better.

There are some people that really like the Apex, I'm just not one of them. I really can't see me ever saying I think I'll grab the Apex today instead of my Equinox, Deus, Simplex, etc. Would I take it over an Ace 400? Yes 

• Like 3

So outside of Garrett's fan base the thing appears to be a flop!  That fan base just has to be shrinking, surely they can't just put up with it for the sake of a brand name and jump ship.

I really don't understand someone that would punish themselves swinging a sub-par detector just because they like its brand name.  Detecting is a lot of work and takes up a lot of time, you want the best chances you can get to put all those hours into finding a good target or two and not leaving them behind for the next guy swinging a cheaper multi frequency detector and pulling up the stuff you're missing 🙂

I can understand a financial reason for swinging it, like not having the money for a better detector, but then, shopping around to a different brand can resolve that.

I will probably get one at some point I'm sure for a bit of fun and to compare it in my soils, I'll wait for some other clown to buy it and buy it off them cheap second hand when they dump it as the retail price in NZ is nearly that of an Nox 600 and I sure cant justify that price.  Hopefully by then it has aftermarket Nel coils then it might improve a bit on depth.

I'd love to know from people who have bought it what was behind the decision to buy it, was it more curiosity to see how it goes or was it some other reason.   I'm sure it sells well, good marketing and a nice looking package at a reasonable price from a well established and known brand means sales especially to new detector users.

I really like the look of the Apex, certainly one of the better looking detectors.

• Like 3

For the casual user and those that have one of the earlier ace machines it might not be that bad. I think for the price point they should include the wireless headphones and wireless pinpointer to be competitive with other machines in it's class. For what it is it I think it's a bit on the high end of the price range. Still for the most part it looks like a pretty solid and dependable unit and should work well in moderate and low trash areas. Garrett does have incredible support to back it up too.

• Like 5
  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to Testing The Garrett Apex In My Test Garden