Speaking of bottlecaps. The Apex loves them, yea you can tell them by backing off the heel or toe of the coil when using iron audio. But it's little help if you have lots of trash in the area. Fisher CZ's love them too. I don't know about Whites multi frequency, never used it. But the Minelab machines pretty much have them figured out. I never had an issue with the Sovereign, Explorer or eTrac picking up bottlecaps. The Equinox you can raise the iron bias on and the Vanquish I don't remember it liking them either. So there's another thing Garrett needs to figure out with multi-frequency. Even some concentric coils have issues with bottlecaps. I know my Racer 2 with the 7" concentric still has an issue with them. 

• Like 2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had one on loan for a few minutes and decided to run it in my test garden .Here are the results.....  

We have grounds that have been pounded to death too. Most of the parks have been reworked over the years so if there are deep coins they are too deep for any detector as drainage systems have been put

This is what I am always puzzled by, people who say they'd use something sub-par when they have the option to use something FAR better.  Sure for day or two for experimenting or a bit of fun or for a

2 hours ago, kac said:

Honestly with the weakpoints on the Apex, if it had an all metal mode I would swing one. People forget that for the most parts coins and jewelry aren't always hidden in iron or masked out. It is usually only when your in old areas that have been hunted to death that you need to start pulling every little trick you have to find the things others missed short of digging every beep.

This is what I am always puzzled by, people who say they'd use something sub-par when they have the option to use something FAR better.  Sure for day or two for experimenting or a bit of fun or for a specific purpose, but as a primary machine why not just swing the best performer you can get for your situation then not have to worry you're missing much.  This will likely mean having multiple detectors for different tasks, would the Apex qualify for a position in that line up?  The thing people seem happy about with it is that it works on the beach, but not as well as other beach capable detectors.

I understand if the decision is financial, I don't understand if it's because you like a certain brand name, or the continent it's built on, or the look and feel of the machine like a nice pair of shoes.  The Apex does look quite nice, but it's not the best looking machine on the market, and It's what's on the inside that counts. 🙂

XP gets a lot of good reviews from people, mostly about it's trash handling which is something I really don't need to care about, I also hear it has substandard target ID performance.. something I really do care about.  That and my phobia of wireless coils have kept me from getting one.  If I felt it would be even slightly better for me for my purposes I'd have one.

I'm sort of stabbing myself in the chest as I'd say my Ace 350 has a position in my line up.  It has a Nel Tornado coil on it, and while it has no Target ID just notches that their range is too broad to be very useful unless you like digging a lot it has proven itself to be one extremely deep detector with that coil.  Maybe it's the low frequency, or it's super slow recovery speed, maybe it's the coil but it's found me small silvers that really surprised me.  I wouldn't use it as the primary detector to go over an area but I think it's worth going over the area after it's been done just to see if you can squeak out anymore silvers at depth.  I've liked the Nel Tornado on it so much I've considered buying it a Nel Big for the same purpose.  At the moment the Apex would be useless for my purpose as it's not even remotely deep.  Maybe once Nel makes coils for it, if they do then that might improve.   Nel will likely build coils for detectors they think are popular enough to give them good coil sales, is the Apex in the category?

• Like 5

Brand recognition, Brand reputation,  Made in USA with ease of use for the new users and previous Ace users seems to be the target audience.

I agree there are other brands that do perform better in that class but the bigger picture is the majority of finds are not super deep, not in super high trash areas or masked out by the random iron nail, staple or other ground anomolies. Most new users or people buying machines in that category may not know the difference, understand it or even care, they just want to have a few nice bells and whistles, not break the bank and go out and have some fun.

The critical videos though show valid points are more relevant to the seasoned detectorist like many of us.

I have a Nel Big, it's not pleasant to swing but does go deep in average ground. Best I got out of it in my areas was a couple silver dimes in the 14" mark. Hardly worth the shoulder pain for me.

31 minutes ago, kac said:

I have a Nel Big, it's not pleasant to swing but does go deep in average ground. Best I got out of it in my areas was a couple silver dimes in the 14" mark. Hardly worth the shoulder pain for me.

It's only 920 grams for a 15x17", you've been spoilt swinging VLF's, try swing a GPX or GPZ for a while and you'll know what shoulder pain is 🙂 The stock 11" Commander coil for the GPX is 840 grams with cover, and then add the weight of the bulky GPX to it! The Gpz 14x13" stock coil is 1360 grams with coil cover and it's low connector rod and the GPZ itself makes the GPX feel light.

Virtually all coins worth finding here are super deep, that's kinda been my point all along, the Apex would not cut it here.  I guess that's why people can never agree when it comes to detectors and detecting, too many variables and nobody is really wrong as what suits them is the right thing for them.  For someone in mild compact hard soils the Apex maybe near perfect.  For me in my mild but soft damp very deep soils I doubt I'd find much at all worth finding with it.   Nobody is wrong, the more information people get the more informed their decision can be on their purchase. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1
13 minutes ago, kac said:

I agree there are other brands that do perform better in that class but the bigger picture is the majority of finds are not super deep, not in super high trash areas or masked out by the random iron nail, staple or other ground anomolies. Most new users or people buying machines in that category may not know the difference, understand it or even care, they just want to have a few nice bells and whistles, not break the bank and go out and have some fun.

Well you haven't hunted around my area then. The only good stuff that is left is the deep and masked targets. The parks around here have been hammered since the 70's, I don't even waste my time on a shallow target in a park. The last silver dime I dug at a park was 7 inches deep. Ghost towns are the same story, hunted to death since the 70's. If you don't have a metal detector that can separate that well, you might as well stay home. Relic sites are bad too, the only stuff left is the deep and the masked.

Now if I did a lot of research and found a place that hadn't been touched that's different. About 10 years ago I located an old resort area about the size of a football field that nobody had touched and had a filed day with my Explorer 2. In one day I pulled out 3 Morgan Dollars, 7 halves, 20 some odd quarters and I don't even recall the number of nickels, dimes and pennies. But after 3 hunts things were getting scarce. About 4 years ago I decided to take my Whites TDI back to the site and pulled another 15 or so quarters and numerous nickels, pennies and dimes. But those kind of sites are rare anymore.

Now if you're talking a stroll in the park looking for modern coins, then I get your point. Most new users are probably in that category. But I personally really can't think of place around here I could go and find older stuff that isn't deep or masked. I wish I did because it would be an absolute joy to hunt a place like the above again.

• Like 3

We have grounds that have been pounded to death too. Most of the parks have been reworked over the years so if there are deep coins they are too deep for any detector as drainage systems have been put in. Also can't dig that deep in parks anyways.

I have patches of old woods I find many good coins and I agree the heavily hit areas with iron masking is where there are still a few coins left. I spent the majority of my hunting this year hitting those beat up spots and have done pretty well, hand full of large cents, shield nickel, couple of KG's, another trime and a few gold rings. I haven't been out much this year due to the heatwave we had.

The new comer or person buying a machine in that category isn't typically aware of those hard to find coins. I believe that they would get discouraged looking for old coins in those circumstances with any machine as not having the experience to pick through.

Like I said the majority of the users here are well seasoned and would be disapointed or find the short fallings of any machine made.

• Like 5

Majority of targets in my soil on relic sites are 7 inches or deeper.....So the statement Kac made about the majority being shallow does not apply to my area.  I have found quite a few virgin home sites over the last few years.....guess where the MAJORITY of targets were located???? In the thick iron....Dug 27 military buttons from one site myself.

• Like 1

If depth and masking were truly important, you’d all be swinging at least a GPX 5000 and digging all targets. Otherwise you are not getting near max depth, and are letting countless targets remain masked. Most everyone is compromising one way or the other, and nobody swinging VLF should get too high and mighty about depth in particular. The minute I put down one of my big guns to use a VLF, I know max depth has gone out the door. :smile:

• Like 1

Them big guns are expensive Steve!! Can you get us the forum discount!!😁👍👍

• Like 1

That would be interesting to take that to the last site I hunted....It was the servant cabins on a 1700s era plantation. There was machine gun iron for at least a 100 yards by 75 yards in a area. That would have kept you busy for the rest of your life digging all those signals but I know if we did we would be surprised at how many masked non ferrous targets would be in there.  

I have sifted a few sites and found numerous deep non ferrous masked in the iron... Time, effort ,and reward...not gonna give up my VLF anytime soon....

• Like 2