Need Information About A Pulse Induction Purchase Decision!

7 hours ago, kac said:

Very good video. My quesiton is if you gb out nickels and square tabs I think you will lose trimes as the register close to those targets. Other coins in that period like flying eagle cents and the small gold coins would be lost too.

Here is a White's TDI Signal Chart that Reg Sniff made that may answer your question: TDI Signal Chart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:50 PM, JohnnyRox said:

Hey, I'll be the first to ask...how did you get it to do that?  

Thanks

On 10/17/2020 at 10:33 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Wow, I can't begin tell you just how impressive that all sounds.  Shouldn't we be the ones who are asking the questions then?  :smile:

Since it seems you got your TDI question answered I'll pile on dragging us off topic...I too want know just how you managed to setup the Nox to get that kind "depth" on that quarter?  You can't possibly tease that without sharing at least a snippet of your vast Equinox knowledge with us.  I'm a slow learner, still picking up things nearly 3 years after getting the Equinox.  Would love to learn more from someone who has completely mastered it.  So throw us a bone...

For JohnnyRox and Chase Goldman,

15 x 12 coil
Field 2
Sensitivity = 25
Manually crank up the ground balance to 99
All Metal
Recovery delay = 1
Iron Bias = 0
Multi Frequency Seems just as deep and is probably superior to 4khz

Anyways, When you get the quarter all the way back to the 22 inch mark Start out passing it extremely slow. If it wont double beep, Slowly increase the speed you are passing your target until it does double beep. I've noticed that even with Recovery Delay set at 1, Sometimes a FASTER sweep speed is required to make the target double beep. That's just the way it is. Think about that when you pass a target up because you cant get a double beep.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, Sandheron said:

As the machine only has one physical recovery speed(3), I would like to know why increasing the recovery speed setting reduces depth when all that is happening is that the machine is clipping the audio as you go up the scale? 

For Sandheron,

I dont know why it reduces depth, But the slower you set the recover speed, the stronger a lower conductor such as nickel will wrap which will mask targets such as silver quarters. With a recovery speed of 1, a 3 inch nickel will mask a 5 inch silver quarter that is 3 inches away from the nickel. Notch hunting with slower recovery speeds will also mask signals and you will never know it. If your a notch hunter and your playing with recovery speeds, then max recovery speed is what you should be using, otherwise your going to mask really good targets and your going to miss a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stupid question... If you can hit a quarter at 22" then why do you need to buy a pi to find a trime at 12"?

I could be wrong but aren't most PI's weaker on silver vs lower conductors? Short of ignoring mineralization with a PI they aren't a whole lot different in depth than a well tuned IB right?

7 hours ago, kac said:

Stupid question... If you can hit a quarter at 22" then why do you need to buy a pi to find a trime at 12"?

I could be wrong but aren't most PI's weaker on silver vs lower conductors? Short of ignoring mineralization with a PI they aren't a whole lot different in depth than a well tuned IB right?

the settings I used to do The air test to hit a quarter at 22 inches is basically only good for beaches and places with fill dirt. I found a barber quarter  at a baseball field that was built in the 1990's. They made the foundation of the field with old dirt. Then they put a tarp over it and dumped about a foot of baseball field dirt over it. No mineralization at all. My air test settings hit the deep stuff in those situations. 

I dont know anything at all about PI machines. Thats why im asking questions about what i should get.  I want to be able to get a large cent that has been in the ground for 200 years at 17 inches. That should be strong enough for my needs. That will probably hit a 10 inch trime but i dont know since i have no experience with PI machines.

Super deep like Steve said the GPX but that is big bucks.

Usually coins are less than the clay line around here unless the ground has been moved for foundations, irrigation lines, drainage etc then old coins can be deeper. The trimes I have found had very little worm activity to make them sink one being in a pine forest and other on a hard pack sand/gravel bank of a lake. Neither of which a pi would do better than any of the machines I have and used to find them. The only places my PI does far better for me is on a local river with high natural iron and the beach.

How deep is your clay line?

Having used my simple PI there are more places I wouldn't take it because it is more of a dig all machine and though that sounds ok, give yourself a couple hours digging all....

On 10/21/2020 at 7:37 PM, kac said:

Super deep like Steve said the GPX but that is big bucks.

Usually coins are less than the clay line around here unless the ground has been moved for foundations, irrigation lines, drainage etc then old coins can be deeper. The trimes I have found had very little worm activity to make them sink one being in a pine forest and other on a hard pack sand/gravel bank of a lake. Neither of which a pi would do better than any of the machines I have and used to find them. The only places my PI does far better for me is on a local river with high natural iron and the beach.

How deep is your clay line?

Having used my simple PI there are more places I wouldn't take it because it is more of a dig all machine and though that sounds ok, give yourself a couple hours digging all....

I know i need more depth than the equinox 800 VLF can reach. I know this because I live on the actual militia Training grounds that the soldiers trained on before during and after the War of 1812. The very end of the training ground is my house and property. In my yard, I've pulled out extremely deep musket balls, flat buttons, and large cents. But my yard is a problem yard because the house that was here before mine was built belonged to a captain during the War of 1812. It was demolished to make my house in the 1890's When they dug out my cellar they just piled it all up in my yard, so i got like 2 feet of dirt before i get to the good dirt. ALL the period stuff i found was on the edge of my lawn where there is a slope leading down to the road. The targets were all 10 to 13 inches on the slope. I used a tiller and ground down about a foot and half for my vegi garden and then i was able to get a period flat button. I even have 2 water Wells in my basement.   that dirt obviously got piled up in the yard too. 

The public park is also part of the training grounds. I had heard that the place had been hit pretty good over the years by several people but its very obvious that they machines they used couldn't hold a candle to a equinox 800.. I've gotten a lot of silver out of the park. SO MUCH that im absolutely convinced that there has to be older stuff that is much deeper. I cant get passed 1880 coinage in that park. Most of the early stuff was IHC's. But plenty of barber and mercury dimes and a few quarters have come out of there. The stuff wasn't very deep either. About 6 to 7 inches on average.  Was just easy picking for the 800. Nothing period has come out of the park to date. Nothing at all. Not one musket ball or flat button. No early coinage, nothing. I see brick in the ground in the park beside my house, but the big park doesn't have any.  The dirt is original. I test dug a hole about a foot and half deep and its just hard packed dirt after 3 inches of top soil. The dirt is so hard during the summer time that i wont dig unless it rains. It kills the grass and you cant fill the hole in properly. Lots of silver came out of the park. So i know the good stuff is deeper.  i know where all the erosion dirt went and were all the clay is.  You can tell when your digging. SOme places do have more top soil and can tell its because it eroded off a different part of the field. 

I already dig absolutely everything. I dont care what the vdi is. So a PI machine is ok with me. I dont need a vdi.I want deep consistent  beeps from targets that i can dig up. Because right now, i have already cleared out ALL TARGETS WITH ALL VDI AND EVERY SINGLE DOUBLE BEEP OUT OF THE RICHEST SILVER PRODUCING SPOTS IN THAT PARK AND NOW I CANT EVEN FIND A TARGET TO DIG WITH THE EQUINOX 800. ITS CLEAN.  No excuse for a deep large cent to have not been found there. None at all. Someone else didnt find it because there machine would have been to weak to find it. The proof is all the silver ive pulled out the park. The stuff has to be deeper.                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• Like 2

Larry,

Sounds like you are going to be a perfect candidate for an AQ relic machine! Only problem is it's going to be at least a few years away before it is even built! But i know we have several hardcore relic hunters here that can steer you in the right direction! Too bad ML doesn't make a larger coil, since you know the Nox so well! You may want to look into sacrificing a coil, to get the chip out for one of the ones being made! There's a few threads on here about that on Phrunt's posts! I don't have any idea how much more depth they would get, but it may be worth looking into!👍👍

My point on a PI is unless your Nox is losing depth from mineralization, coil for coil size you probably won't see that much of a difference in depth. Pi's are very sensitive to iron, tiny bits will sound pretty big so fragments of iron nails and other stuff will drive you crazy while high conductors like tiny silver are not as responsive to a Pi.

Comparitively if you had a 12" coil on a PI that hit a dime at 12" and an IB with a 12" coil that hits a dime at 12" in air tests. In the field the IB will lose more depth due to mineralization vs the PI that will hit close to 12" so use that as a rough idea.

There is the Blisstool that does go pretty deep and is a low frequency in the 7khz range that might nudge out the Nox at depth with the larger coil it has but I don't know by how much.

Anyone use a GPX for coin and relic may want to chime in on what they get on depths on tiny deep stuff.