Minelab Part Question? What Is This Piece

idahogold

Greetings" to All, from 32f Idaho! Need a replacement 1 of these for a GPX4500, and cant find the name of the piece to search for a replacement...don't need and endshaft w/ eye attached, just looking for a "universal eye" or oem minelab eye to mount to a custom shaft. What's this called in detector lingo??? Any help w/ the name or where to get one would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!!! Ig

Lowershaft02.thumb.jpg.123cb5e86284df3d7aa908070c1e49e6.jpg

I would be calling their service center to check if the part number has changed.

Then I would be asking for the part.

• Like 1

In Australia there are at least two aftermarket parts manufacturers that produce end pieces that don't break so easily.

Sandy Shafts and Detect Ed are two companies that produce after market upper and lower shafts with stronger coil fittings. I have used both and had no breakage, where as the original ends had a tendency to break when large coils were used.

Reg both of those make complete custom upper + lower shafts & neither appear to sell their custom rod ends separately? They may if asked?

The Sandy Shaft lower rod end is custom made to suit GPX type coil ears (new type is tighter to prevent coil movement) & the Detect Ed lower rod end is custom made to suit Equinox coil ears (probably still fit GPX coils but sized to prevent wear/breakage on Equinox coil ears).

Coiltek lowers (Doc's I believe in USA or vise versa) have a different rod end also but they don't seem to be available separately either which is what the OP wants for his own custom shaft.

Surprised to hear of the Minelab ones breaking. They're pretty solid. The shaft usually splits or the locknut fails as the two weak points when using big coils?

• Like 1

Got a collection of broken ends in the shed. I even have a couple that I have repaired using epoxy and Kevlar. Split shafts bound with Nylon thread and soaked in epoxy. DetectEd lower shafts fit GPX and QED coils just fine. Minelab locknuts are rubbish. Most of the breakages occurred using Minelab prototypes with huge heavy coils. So heavy they used to bow the stems. Hence damaged shoulders, elbows and wrists.

In the old days White's used to call that piece a clevis. Not sure what Minelab calls it.

• Like 2