Garrett Acquires White's Electronics!

16 hours ago, gravityrules said:

I see this as good news but I do not expect we will see many, if any, of the existing Whites products continued. 

If Whites has a large stock of existing parts I suppose it's possible Garrett could make 'commemorative editions' or something like that if it made financial sense to do so. 

I have no idea if Whites had anything in the development pipeline or archive that may be of interest to Garrett.

There is a lot of product overlap and I expect Whites viable products are more expensive to produce than Garrett's.

MXSport/GMXSport/TRX PP have direct competitors in Garrett's lineup.

I don't know where MX7 would fit in.

Perhaps TDI and GoldMaster 24K have their own niche in a combined lineup?

V3 lineup is completely unsustainable and without a feasible upgrade path.  As I understand, it is based on out of production processor, display, firmware platform, battery system etc and the effort required to port than to modern 'similar to' would be cost prohibitive)

So I don't think this is about 'products' for Garrett ... more about keeping all things 'Whites' out of the hands of someone who could destroy the Whites 'legacy' in the process of leveraging whatever current value is there.  It's telling that 'legacy' was the word used in both press releases.

I also will take a wait and see attitude about the buyout. My concern is the buyout is more about keeping any of Whites IP out of the hands of competitors rather than continuing the Whites legacy. And really what does "continuing the Whites legacy" really mean when Garrett says that.

I don't think Garrett has much interest in restarting production of Whites products. Most have direct competition with existing Garrett products.

Also will Garrett provide long term support for existing Whites customers and equipment? Will they manufacture and provide replacement parts?  Or will they just use up the existing supply and call it a day? They have already said for repair service contact Centerville not them.

Many questions need to be answered before I will say this is great news.

• Like 3

Let's hope they at least cherry pick some of White's best design ideas.  Ideally, I'd love to see a V4i.  Short of that, a Garrett design that uses the best ideas from the V3i, like true simultaneous multifrequency.    

• Like 4

Well that is some great news. Great to hear we can keep the machines in use with their coil on the ground.

Just this morning got a great pic featuring the grandkids whilst exploring the beach.

How do you beat that 😉

IMG_2956.JPG

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Liondogs said:

I also will take a wait and see attitude about the buyout. My concern is the buyout is more about keeping any of Whites IP out of the hands of competitors rather than continuing the Whites legacy. And really what does "continuing the Whites legacy" really mean when Garrett says that.

I don't think Garrett has much interest in restarting production of Whites products. Most have direct competition with existing Garrett products.

I'd say we have the spectrum covered now.  All they way from Garrett will "take White's back to their heyday" to "they just want to make sure they're buried as deeply as possible so as to never be heard from again."  Do you think they are sharpening the stakes to drive into the vampire's heart?

• Haha 2

My thinking is that no more big box machines. Just use their multi frequency tech and put it in their machines. No real interest in heavy single frequency machines anymore. Good for Whites owners if they honor the warranty on machines already sold within the warranty period. And maintain some parts for other machines. 

• Like 2