Garrett Acquires White's Electronics!

2 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Funny you should say that, considering the political leanings of that company (White's).

I hope my use of a well-recognized slogan doesn't result in a political discussion (or worse).  Steve has made it clear that's not what this site is about.  I don't know anything about White's political leanings, nor that of any other manufacturer, and I'd prefer maintaing my ignorance in that area.  I consider detectorprospector.com kind of a club where everyone gets along.  The best way to muck that up is to talk politics or religion.

My bad, and I'm changing the original post.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

Absolutely not true.

This is the fact my friend, If you want to know more, did a little searching and you will see.

I wish you all the best to you!

The Garrett company has a great opportunity to make great pur manual detector. Hope they hear my suggestions.

In the beach, the White’s won,

In the bad ground the White’s won,

In the moon, the White’s won,

No company that can match White’s.

Hamid

22 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Maybe some of the patents might help Garrett achieve something that was restricted, who knows.

I think that is the main reason Garrett did the deal! It Also would be nice to absorb some of their tech wizards! If they are still available! And could add something that the patents could not!!👍👍

• Like 1

Why did Garrett buy Whites? .....
Americans have realized that if they are to maintain their position in the global detector market ... they must simply "Globalize" ... and thereby keep the cost of manufacturing and the difficulty of developing and distributing detectors to markets at an acceptable level ...

Whites owns a sufficient number of patents at  PI and Multi VLF..= Garrett to save a lot of time and money on developing similar and proven technologies ... and thus gain time, for example, for possible innovation of these technologies.

Whites and Garret have a strong tradition in the USA, still very many ACTIVE users ... / made in America / according to me, while Garret focuses more on basic/middle class hobby detectors but also on detection equipment for state organizations in terms of security and protection ,, a. .. Whites again produced a large number of detectors focused on a higher class of hobby detectors, as well as detectors designed for gold prospecting ... where I also have a good experience

Many of these customers are large enough for Garrett / Whites to continue to successfully produce and sell their detectors.
and Garrett undertook to maintain both Whites Detector Service Centers in the United States at the Whites Detectors Warranty Service.

And that's a good step from Garrett.

The next few days will show what Garrett / Whites' next corporate policy will be like ... the merger of these companies has given Americans hope ... that new Whites detectors can be a reality ...

PS ..of course ... not only Americans will appreciate such a move ... but also many Whites users around the world ..

• Like 5

Almost forgot,

Good Morning Simon!!🌞  👍👍

I wish them the best with this. Hopefully we will see a hybrid using the best of tech from both companies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

That must be why they were such good sellers 🙂

Maybe the purchase was just at a price that was too good to refuse, it took a long time for the sale to take place it's not like they jumped on it.  Maybe they played hardball and let Whites think nobody wanted them and took them out for a bargain price at the end.  Really the only likely purchasers were First Texas and Garrett, and First Texas didn't seem overly interested.  The next few months will be quite telling if Garrett start selling any of the White's models.  I can't see any big metal box machines surviving it. 

If the only machine that survives is the 24k/GMX rebranded as a Garrett with a Garrett colour scheme it's probably all they needed as they didn't have a matching machine in their own line up, probably cheaper to buy the design and production capability off Whites in a fire sale than it was to design it themselves.

Saying things like they should dump the TDI and put the ATX into a TDI body.... it doesn't take buying out a competitor to put a detector into a new housing.

I think people thinking Garrett are going to revive old models like the V3i or use their dated technology in a new housing are dreaming, if they weren't selling for White's they're not going to sell for Garrett and putting that old software onto new hardware, yea right... may as well start all over again.    Maybe some of the patents might help Garrett achieve something that was restricted, who knows...

You never know what kind of benefit Garrett could derive from the source code related to the v3i. If they are working on a high end multi frequency machine it could help a lot. 

I think expecting them to revive old detector lines that didn't sell well enough to keep White's afloat is pretty foolhardy.  It's probably a coin flip for them to keep some newer designs [24k/GMX].  Garrett seems to be really good at marketing.  Perhaps they can apply some of that expertise to White's products but marketing 20-25 year old detectors would be a real challenge. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, gravityrules said:

I see this as good news but I do not expect we will see many, if any, of the existing Whites products continued. 

If Whites has a large stock of existing parts I suppose it's possible Garrett could make 'commemorative editions' or something like that if it made financial sense to do so. 

I have no idea if Whites had anything in the development pipeline or archive that may be of interest to Garrett.

There is a lot of product overlap and I expect Whites viable products are more expensive to produce than Garrett's.

MXSport/GMXSport/TRX PP have direct competitors in Garrett's lineup.

I don't know where MX7 would fit in.

Perhaps TDI and GoldMaster 24K have their own niche in a combined lineup?

V3 lineup is completely unsustainable and without a feasible upgrade path.  As I understand, it is based on out of production processor, display, firmware platform, battery system etc and the effort required to port than to modern 'similar to' would be cost prohibitive)

So I don't think this is about 'products' for Garrett ... more about keeping all things 'Whites' out of the hands of someone who could destroy the Whites 'legacy' in the process of leveraging whatever current value is there.  It's telling that 'legacy' was the word used in both press releases.

This was my response on the Garrett forum along the same lines of thought:

Didn’t expect this but glad to see it. Thought they would just quietly disappear forever. 

What are folks speculating on this? First Texas like merger of independent brands, one more premium than the other?  Just keep the newer form factor detectors, out with the analog metal boxes, more competitive pricing, great service from Garrett?

I mean what is there to gain otherwise? The loyal customers that would have gone elsewhere eventually? Only Merica choices are now Garrett and Fisher. Their multi tech was licensed at some point from Minelab is my understanding and Garrett already has their multi flex in the Apex and hinted  future AT series?  Crap site? Some weird dealer agreement that seems to hurt flexibility in sales from what I have read?

Not saying these are equals but as far as product line and price point:

AT Pro Pointer = TRX 

Ace series = Coinmaster, Treasure Master/Pro, MX7

AT series = MX Sport, GMX Sport

SeaHunter /ATX = TDI....

Apex = ?

GTI 2500 (LOL, they still sell this?) = V3i/VX3 (cool but doesn’t sell well, outdated packaging)

A few months back Carl Moreland made this post, prediction:

"I suspect they will attempt to sell the assets, including patents. If not, the family will continue to own the rights. The only patent I believe that has any value is the one I wrote on truncated half-sine. Others either have little value, are easily circumvented, or are near expiration.

Cost of manufacturing hasn't really been an issue for White's. Their labor market is exceptionally cheap and they do most everything in-house. What has hurt them the most is sales/marketing. They hung onto the distributor/dealer model for too long, and when they finally decided to go online & big-box they just didn't have the people and structure to do it right. The second thing that hurt them was engineering turnover. It created huge gaps in products and in the ability to continue innovating. "

• Like 4

difficult to understand why they figuratively just "sat on their asses"
for a long time when they apparently possessed the assets to do something
about it. i was "weaned" on whites equipment, and find it ''disturbing"
that they just ''gave up" and quit!  no fight left i guess!  i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.