It looks like you are comparing Apex MSRPs to Vanquish MAPs.  Ebay is always a quick and reliable way to find MAP's.  From what I can tell from there, the two fully loaded models are the same price.  The difference being that 'fully loaded' includes two coils for the Vanquish vs. one for the Apex.

• Like 1

Vanquish 540 with V12 coil $369

Garrett Apex with Viper coil $424

Garrett Apex with Z-Lynk headphones $492

Vanquish 540 Pro Pack (adds second coil and wireless headphones) $499

Detector to detector the $369 Vanquish 540 is $55 less expensive than the Garrett Apex. Keep in mind the Apex has built in rechargeable batteries for the price. The basic 540 comes with four AA batteries. The Pro Pack includes four rechargeable AA batteries and a charger.

All Vanquish models have the same “engine” under the hood, so the less expensive Vanquish models will do just as well as the 540 if outfitted with the same coil. The Vanquish 340 with 5x8 coil is $199, and the Vanquish 440 with 7x10 coil is $279

Coil to coil, the Garrett Apex (6x11 coil) at $424 matches well with the Vanquish 440 (7x10 coil) at $279. The Vanquish 540 has a larger 8x12 coil and so gets a depth edge with the larger coil.

• Like 4

I find in normal detecting scenarios for coins the Vanquish basically replicates the performance of the Equinox, so what you're seeing there in your mild soil test garden is exactly that, the Vanquish performing similar to the Equinox.  It's a shame you couldn't crank it's sensitivity right up on the day as that top notch sensitivity is amazing for depth but I guess you didn't need to, it destroyed the Apex anyway.  It is a shame you didn't use jewellery mode, I don't know why but for me it's the secret weapon of the Vanquish, I understand you picked Relic mode as you were trying to get depth, you didn't need to do that, it has the depth anyway but at least the modes on the Vanquish mean something, they're not just disc patterns 🙂

Something that people might be missing too is the Apex has a 2 year warranty, the Vanquish has a 3 year warranty, an extra year is pretty good.

Something that hit me in your rant at the end was about how some young kid with pocket money they've worked for a year for mowing lawns or something or elderly person using their social security money might be buying one of these detectors which is a big financial hit to them and there are undoubtedly Garrett "people" over promoting their products indicating they're far better than they actually are, and they get away with it as the people are unlikely to ever personally see the difference so they believe what they see. 

It is disappointing that this takes place so often with metal detectors  It's not Garrett directly saying their gear is fantastic, it's the people that are in some way associated with them by free gear or whatever it is.  I don't see Nokta, XP or Minelab doing these artificial promotions all over Youtube and social media like Garrett appears to be involved with, the guys in their fancy Garrett hats and T-shirts with their free Apex saying how great it is, they probably even have Garrett underwear!

I think Garrett were a little bit careful with the marketing of the Apex, I am sure during development they were constantly comparing it to the Vanquish, they knew what they were releasing so they kept their claims about it to a minimum instead letting the "promoters" be the deceptive fall guys doing the marketing.  I even watched an Aussie promoter in his Garrett hat doing a very dodgy video about it with silver coins in Queensland near the beach that was posted on the forum, you could see right through him and his marketing.

• Like 4

Maybe the acquisition of the Whites IP will goose Garrett into developing/releasing something compelling.

They have improved on some elements of the ergonomics and desirable features (frequency selection, form factor, wireless, rechargeable batteries) over the stale AT series with the APEX design.  Now they need to work on performance, especially recovery speed, tones, and ID at depth and utilize more sophisticated signal processing to really take advantage of what Multi has to offer.  They can use their leverage, production infrastructure, and market share to potentially make it more affordable than the imports.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Maybe the acquisition of the Whites IP will goose Garrett into developing/releasing something compelling.

Well, they went from having an AT Gold to now having one of if not the best gold prospecting VLF detectors on the market in both a land and waterproof version so I hope they continue with it and even develop it further with some of their technologies like their wireless audio.  I hope they keep the TRX as it complements the Carrot being more sensitive to small targets but as Geotech said it's difficult to manufacturer so they may dump it.

Difficult gear to make has to cut into profitability.

I think the reason the aftermarket guys never bothered to make Gold Bug 2 coils was how difficult they are to make, they look like fireworks going off in them, it couldn't be cheap to manufacturer, thanks to strick for the X-rays.

725694635_GoldBug2coilx-ray.thumb.jpeg.5ab8a46313f23bc5671d4e53e98ac064.jpeg

Maybe White's older multi frequency patents if they exist will help them with the AT Multi frequency replacement.  I want Garrett to succeed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, phrunt said:

and there are undoubtedly Garrett "people" over promoting their products indicating they're far better than they actually are, and they get away with it as the people are unlikely to ever personally see the difference so they believe what they see. 

It is disappointing that this takes place so often with metal detectors  It's not Garrett directly saying their gear is fantastic, it's the people that are in some way associated with them by free gear or whatever it is.  I don't see Nokta, XP or Minelab doing these artificial promotions all over Youtube and social media like Garrett appears to be involved with, the guys in their fancy Garrett hats and T-shirts with their free Apex saying how great it is, they probably even have Garrett underwear!

I think Garrett were a little bit careful with the marketing of the Apex, I am sure during development they were constantly comparing it to the Vanquish, they knew what they were releasing so they kept their claims about it to a minimum instead letting the "promoters" be the deceptive fall guys doing the marketing.  I even watched an Aussie promoter in his Garrett hat doing a very dodgy video about it with silver coins in Queensland near the beach that was posted on the forum, you could see right through him and his marketing.

Yes it is never a good idea to hide the reality. It wont be long before the Apex new users realize that the machine is not the fantastic machine promoted in the videos . This is already the case over here in France , my seller told me that he already has a lot of negative feedbacks on it . Probably because European users often detect in high iron trashed areas where it is the most difficult for the detectors  .

Garrett should spend more time on the product itself than on the marketing , I think that they released the Apex too early,  they should have done more testing , this by experienced unbiased users .. I hope  that they will quickly improve the perfos of the Apex ; audio , tones , etc ... with a software update.  Wait and see ..

Concerning the comparison with the Vanquish yes on mild clean soils the Vanquish is better than the Apex. However the Vanquish is not a perfect detector especially on high iron trashed areas where I find it difficult to use compared to a Deus/Orx or F75/T2 for example.

• Like 5

Yea if you watch the Apex introduction video by Garrett it states the Aoex is the pinnacle of affordable metal detection. That it has fast recovery speed and excellent detection depth. These kind of statements are what mislead buyers and the testers play right along with the hype instead of giving a unbiased review. Obviously users are finding the Apex doesn't live up to Garrett's claims. I have no issue with it being a mid-priced detector but it also should be marketed that way as there are quite a few lower priced detectors that perform better. Garrett should have stuck with marketing the improved looks and modern features and left the other stuff out IMO.

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By calabash digger
      I decided to go to my local dealer and buy them..... here is a look at all three...

• By calabash digger
      Testing all three on some deep targets...

• By calabash digger
      How does the new Apex stack up to the Minelab 6 inch coil????

• By calabash digger
      I had one on loan for a few minutes and decided to run it in my test garden .Here are the results.....

• By abenson
      So having used and test the Garrett Ace Apex for a bit now. I've come up with some things I do and don't like about the machine. If anyone is on the fence about buying one this might help you make up your mind.
      I think Garrett is heading in the right direction with all the modern features they have included on the Apex. Here's what I really like about the Garrett Ace Apex.
      1.    Wireless headphones
      2.    Backlight display
      3.    Rechargeable battery
      4.    Easy to navigate menu
      5.    Easy to read display
      6.    Great sleek look
      7.    Light weight
      8.    Ground balance capabilities
      9.    Weatherproof design
      10. Adjustable frequencies
      What I don’t like and why, yea I know you can’t have everything you want with a $425 machine.
      1.    Lack of accessory coils-IMO the 6” x 11” Viper coil is too big for trashy sites and not big enough for clean sites.
      2.    Iron audio-IMO the iron audio on the Apex is pretty much worthless. It’s too loud even on 1 and the machine can’t reset fast enough and drowns out good signals close to iron when iron audio is used.
      3.    Notch discrimination-notching out 5 segments at a time is too many. With the Apex already struggling at depth and in iron, you need to be able to notch out one number at a time so you don’t lose targets in iron or make them even more jumpy when the target is deep.
      4.    Lack of adjustable tones-5 tones on this machine doesn’t work well, especially in iron trash. The iron tone and the very low conductor tones are too close in sound. Yea you can hear the difference but since this machine pulls down target ID so bad in iron, a 2 tone option or even a 3 tone would be much better so there is a distinct separation of the audio.
      5.    Lack of usable search modes-Really all you get with the Apex is set discrimination patterns, not search modes. When you change modes you simply notch out different segments you may not want to dig. Depth and separation remain the same, many other machines on the market both more and less expensive change the recovery and depth in relation to the mode you choose.
      For those of you that have the Apex or even if you don't, I would be interested in what your thoughts are on the Apex.
    • By palzynski
      TESTING THE GARRETT APEX 
      -------------------------------
      I have followed for the Apex exactly the same procedure already used for the other detectors that 
      I have tested in the past : a) static depth tests , b) field tests . 
      For info I live in the North of France, the soil is low to moderated mineralized there . 
      The iron trash varies from medium to very high. I have used the Apex inland only  ( no beach detecting )
      During this test, I will compare the Apex with the Vanquish and Deus/Orx that I know very well
      and which are in the same price category ( Apex 600e ,Vanquish 540 pp 550e, XP Deus Lite/Orx 650e )..
      The Deus/Orx are a reference over here. And the Vanquish is a very good machine . 
      So all what needed for a realistic comparison ..
      1) First impressions :
      ----------------------
      The Apex is very well built , I like the thin control box which is much more compact
      than the Vanquish control box. The lithium battery is a plus. The shaft has a little outdated
      design I would have preferred a telescopic shaft like the Vanquish , but it is easy to mount and 
      seems robust.
      The Apex weights 1,17kg without the coil cover , 1,23kg with the cc , so more than what indicated in 
      the manual ( 1,13kg ).
      The Apex 6X 11 coil weights 400grams without the cc , it is a little heavy compared to the Vanquish V10 coil
      which weights only 360grams. The Apex coil shape is a little unusual , long and narrow , almost rectangular ,
      but this has the advantage to provide an important ground coverage par sweep compared to circular or even 
      elliptical shapes.
      The Apex is easy to use . The manual is short , only 25 pages this is a good thing.
      The wireless headphones are very well build, they have no noticeable latency. and they worked well during the test.
      I just noticed a few drops out but nothing dramatic

2) Static depth tests :
      -----------------------
      2 depth tests have been done , one using a big copper 10grams coin at 28cm ( 11 inches ) depth , the other
      using a small 3grams bronze coin at 15cm ( 6 inches ) depth. See pics below.
      I have always used the MF mode during this test.
      As I expected the Apex does not hit the big 10grams copper coin at 11 inches , so the Apex does not go
      as deep as for example a Vanquish plus the V12 coil. This is due to the small width (6inches ) of the Apex
      coil and it is quite logical.
      However the Apex hits the small 3 grams coin at 6inches , the same result as the Vanquish and Deus
      so a good result.
      I noticed at this moment that the Apex audio signals on targets ( coins for example ) are quite sharp. 
      Actually I found them too sharp , as if there was a little iron in all the coins that I was testing. 
      The Apex audio is a little unusual and I would have preferred softer signals actually ..
      So conclusion of this part the depth tests are ok , the Apex audio is a little surprising with these
      sharp signals on targets , but probably just a matter of a few hours detecting to get used to it ..

3) Field tests :
      ----------------
      I have tested the Apex at 3 different locations, where I always go when testing new detectors :
      - a plowed field which has been occupied by a camp hospital during the 1st WW. 
        So quite a lot of iron trash ,plus aluminium fragments , etc .. and interesting things like buttons,
        buckles , etc ..
      - a wood near a small town containing medieval artefacts among a very high density of iron trash
      - others fields near a big town

Total detecting time : 8 hours

3.1) plowed field :
      -------------------
      I went 3 times in this field with the Apex. 
      During the 1st outing everything went ok . Actually I do not like the Apex
      audio ,I find it not enough accurate compared to the Vanquish/Deus and too sharp on targets as I said
      above . And the Vanquish VDIs are much more accurate that the Apex VDIs ..
      Then I started to have serious troubles with the Apex .. 😬
      During the next outings done in this field there I have been constantly bothered by FALSE SIGNALS.
      The Apex was randomly beeping while no target under the coil. There are power lines quite close to the field
      but I have never had such pbs pb here with other detectors Equinox , Vanquish and Deus.
      During the 3rd outing in this field I have even decided to leave the area after 15 minutes because it was impossible to detect due to the erratic signals. 

3.2) wood :
      -----------
      The outing in this wood has been more positive.I had very few false signals there and the Apex did a good job
      in this area infested by little ferrous. I even found a nice medieval buckle missed by the other detectors. I have appreciated
      the 11X6 coil which has very good separation abilities . As I said I am not a fan of the Apex audio but it worked  ... at least in this area. 🙂
      btw it has rained during all the outing , so difficult conditions , and I had no pb with the high hygrometry , a good thing

3.3) other plowed fields :
      --------------------------
      During this outing we tried 2 fields
      In the first field I had the same pb as above , false signals again ..  There was a gsm antenna not far ,
      perhaps this could explain the pb . But not justify it , because other detectors work very well here ..
      It went better in the second field where I found 2 coins. My friend found 3 coins with his Deus .
      So quite a good result for the Apex here..
      One more thing I do not like with the Apex , the backlight activation. To activate it the menu button must be pressed 6 times,
      then the + button 1 time ,. Total 7 times ... Same thing for desactivating it....
      On the Vanquish 540 you just have to press one time the dedicated button it is far simpler ,
      I usually just need the backlight a few seconds to check the VDI , so the Apex backlight is 
      almost unusable for me ... The Apex should have a dedicated backlight button ..

CONCLUSION
      ---------------
      At the moment I have decided to stop the Apex tests because of this important 'false signal" issue . 
      This is not normal that the Apex cannot be used at places where other detectors work perfectly well. 😒
      I have never experienced a pb like this actually. I do not know where it comes from, EMI or others ...
      I have informed my dealer about this pb and he will contact Garrett. 
      I hope I will have news on this soon.. and a solution to fix that pb , so that I can restart the tests. 
      btw I have tried all the settings to get rid of the "false signals" issue , reducing the sensitivity , 
      ground balancing , changing the channel , etc ... With no results up to now ... I think that the pb is more 
      related to the Apex electronics/software or coil design ... Future will tell