On 10/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, calabash digger said:

Head to head shootout ..... Ace Apex 499.00 Basic ..Wireless 579.00. Vanquish pro pack 2 coils, batteries, and wireless headphones 499.00. Which is the best bang for the buck in todays market???

Hi calabash digger ,

I had the time to rewatch carefuly your video today. Actually I obtain the same results as yours on my bed tests, the Vanquish is deeper than the Apex with better audio signal on targets . Just one question it looks like you used a V10 coil on the 540 during this test right ? I just asked this because the 540 pro is delivered with a V8 and a V12 , and not the V10...

Concerning the iron separation test( coin + nail ) , it would have been interesting to compare the ApexVanquish results with a fast detector like a Deus/Orx or a T2/G2. Probably the Deus/Orx or T2/G2 would have outperformed both the Apex and the Vanquish ...

BTW thanks for this excellent video ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 12:07 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

All Vanquish models have the same “engine” under the hood, so the less expensive Vanquish models will do just as well as the 540 if outfitted with the same coil. The Vanquish 340 with 5x8 coil is $199, and the Vanquish 440 with 7x10 coil is $279

Coil to coil, the Garrett Apex (6x11 coil) at $424 matches well with the Vanquish 440 (7x10 coil) at $279. The Vanquish 540 has a larger 8x12 coil and so gets a depth edge with the larger coil.

The 340 has the same 10” coil as the 440 per their comparison tables. May even be more compelling than the 440 as compared to the Apex in coil size. Pinpoint and some tone and segment resolution is where they get you. I kind of wish the 340 did come with the smaller coil for tot lots and benches. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

On 10/17/2020 at 6:07 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

...  The Vanquish 340 with 5x8 coil is $199, and the Vanquish 440 with 7x10 coil is $279 ....

4 hours ago ; nickeldNdimed said:

The 340 has the same 10” coil as the 440 per their comparison tables. May even be more compelling than the 440 as compared to the Apex in coil size. Pinpoint and some tone and segment resolution is where they get you. I kind of wish the 340 did come with the smaller coil for tot lots and benches. 

Yes I confirm the 340 has the same V10 coil as the 440, and not a V8  , probably a little error from Steve ... 

Actually I find the V10 much more polyvalent than the V8. It has better depth perfos on coin sized targets and more ground coverage and it is a light coil ( 360g ). This excellent V10 coil is one of the reasons of the Vanquish 340/440 success story ...

• Like 2
8 hours ago, palzynski said:

Actually I find the V10 much more polyvalent than the V8. It has better depth perfos on coin sized targets and more ground coverage and it is a light coil ( 360g ). This excellent V10 coil is one of the reasons of the Vanquish 340/440 success story ...

Do you find any other benefits other than weight to the v10.  The v10 is the coil I don't have, I have v8 and v12 obviously, should I bother getting the v10 too? Is there any reason I'd find it better? I don't care about weight, to me after using the GPZ and GPX a lot the Vanquish feels like I'm swinging a feather.  So other than weight, how would I benefit from a v10?

I got the Pro Pack with small and large coils. In a lot of my detecting I bounce between small coils and large coils, looking to optimize either small item sensitivity (small coil) or depth (large coil). The V10 is the compromise coil, offering a balance of both. That also means it excels at neither. Yet the first thing I did was order a V10 coil. But I can’t make a good case that if you have a V8 and V12 coil that you need the V10 also. Those two coils cover most any situation. I have to admit getting the V10 was mainly due to the coil being cheap and wanting to have all three coils.

minelab-vanquish-540-v10coil-herschbach.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my thought on the V10 and you feel like you really need it. If you already have the 540 pro pack, why not just by a 340. It's only like $80 more than just the coil. Then you have all the coils and a loaner for friends and family.

BTW that's exactly what I did  bought a barley used 540 pro pack and a new 340 for less than the 540 pro pack new. I wasn't ever impressed with Vanquish in trash but I will have to say, it's a great beach and park detector. Hence the reason for picking another one up. I even have fun running the 340 in the parks, it's deep and simple to use. Really don't feel like I'm leaving much behind either.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Do you find any other benefits other than weight to the v10.  The v10 is the coil I don't have, I have v8 and v12 obviously, should I bother getting the v10 too? Is there any reason I'd find it better? I don't care about weight, to me after using the GPZ and GPX a lot the Vanquish feels like I'm swinging a feather.  So other than weight, how would I benefit from a v10?

The V10 has less iron masking than the V12 this can make the difference in iron trashed areas. Also it is easier to pinpoint than the V12 which requires a pinpointer almost all the time...

However if you look for medium/big coins at depth in low iron trashed areas , the V12 is a better coil because it goes a little deeper than the V10 on big targets . 

btw I agree with Abenson , the Vanquish is a very good machine for parks and beaches. I would say also for woods/forests  as long as there is not too much iron trash. In European open fields with a lot of iron trash it is an other story,  it is outperformed by faster monofreq machines like the XPs , Fisher , Teknetics , Tesoro etc ..  This is why very few people use a Vanquish for detecting in open fields over here ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1