1 hour ago, phrunt said:

What kind of rock would behave this way?

Try seeing how your QED reacts, and vary the pulse delay if it responds at the lowest delay.  My sister found a large (~8 kg) rock which appears to contain a lot of graphite and reads right around 40 on my Fisher Gold Bug Pro (break between ferrous and non-ferrous, as you know, but others may not).  It even makes the Garrett Carrot sound off, but my White's TDI/SPP (locked at supposedly 10 microsecond delay) is quiet as a mouse when waved near it.  (Yes, it's turned on!)  However the QED reacts, that won't prove it contains a lot of graphite, but it's one more clue.

You didn't mention the density but called it a rock.  My sister's specimen has a specific gravity close to 2.7, which screams 'rock' as opposed to similar much lower density burnt wood, etc.  Another clue is that graphite conducts electricity.  You can also try putting an ohm meter on it and seeing what it reads.

• Like 1

I didn't bring it home with me, it's still sitting on that rock, it was hard, very much a rock.  I smashed it with the pointy end of my pick to see inside it.   I'll have to go back as I accidentally left my little box I found there too, I left it on a rock and was intending to collect it on my way out and forgot.   I think I'm now done at that spot too though, I'll have to explore further afield, like JW yesterday, he was in the same general area but further away and he managed 2 nuggets.  His biggest one at 1.38 grams looks like a sausage 🙂

1854523643_sausagenugget.thumb.jpg.591e7f3f8447d56cfb0b7c7a6754e91a.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting rock and it sure made the NOX scream in the video.  I found a couple graphite nodules in hears past tat read as non ferrous.  At a site in Oregon, there are quite a few grey/black rocks that fool many detectors, even when ID'ing. 

The rusty tin tell you there was activity in the area back in the day and probably from another early prospector.

Nice to see a piece of gold come home with you.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By PeterInSa
      Volume Limit on the Z, from the Manual..............
      The Volume Limit sets the maximum volume for target signals. When detecting, the sound produced by a target can be very loud. Adjust the Volume Limit to ensure that loud targets do not hurt your ears. The Volume Limit has a range of 1-20, with a preset of 12.
      And of course a lower Volume Limit will reduce the difference between small and big targets.
      When using the WM12 and headphones I have the volume limit at 7, reason being I have Tinnitus and do not want sudden loud sound to make it worse. Am wondering does this low setting have an impact on any other function of the Z. I can still find very very small pieces of wire/gold.
      Thanks
      Peter
    • By davsgold
      I was sent this video, the x-coil runs very nicely in the wet ground, just remember these coils are not water proof so don't submerge them.
      I'm not sure if the nugget was stuck down deep or kept sliding back into the hole from the water, but anyway what impressed me was how well the 10" x-coil was handling the wet ground.
      Anyway I just though I would share the guys video with you all.

cheers dave
    • By Allen M
      Hello I live in Las Vegas anybody have suggestions where I can go. I have a equinox 800 and I believe I have problems with it. Have not found any gold and getting frustrated with very little help from Minelab. Need ground I can test it out on tkk on se if there is a problem with it. 

any help would be appreciated 
    • By calabash digger
      How does the new Apex stack up to the Minelab 6 inch coil????

• By Xergix
      I don't know which site these photos were taken from, I don't know if you have already seen them, I must say Ukrainian technicians are really good at modifying metal detectors, but my question is : why ML didn't think of such a thing ?
      Single keyboard for all commands, no mechanical keys that can break easily, all  reach of your thumb finger, simple!

• By Steve Herschbach
      Anyone who spends much time comparing targets with a Equinox and a Vanquish knows that a Vanquish will hit most targets an Equinox will hit. The performance is closer than people may want to imagine for most normal metal detecting, making Vanquish a genuine value.
      Vanquish came out with a different set of coils than the Equinox, to the chagrin of many Equinox owners, since they are not compatible.
      What is interesting is that the Vanquish coils are quite a bit less expensive, even in cases where they are physically larger than the Equinox coils. Part of this may be the windings and tolerances possibly being different. Vanquish coils seem thinner and lighter, and being able to keep the price down on them is critical to keeping the price of the detector down also. However, it is a mistake to think retail price has anything more than a loose connection to manufacturing cost. The rule is charge what the market will bear. And true story for anyone that wants to bother with the research - accessory items for expensive detectors often cost a lot more than the same accessories for lower price detectors. This is because most people who spend a lot on a detector are willing to spend more on accessories. Just ask any car dealer who sells both inexpensive and expensive cars.
      So while I do not know the exact details, the fact is Vanquish coils sell for les because they have to. Nobody is going to buy an accessory coil if it sells for as much as the detector itself. This adds to the value proposition however. Not only does a Vanquish get very close to Equinox performance for a lot lower price, but the accessory coils can be had for quite a bit less.
      I kind of get now why Minelab did not make a set of these coils for Equinox. Would Equinox owners be willing to pay about $100 more for the same coils across the board (even though they would be different coils)? People will say, no, just sell me the coils for the Equinox at the same price. But Minelab can't do that - it undermines the Equinox detector and accessory price structure. If that seems unfair, let me remind people the 11" round coil for the CTX 3030 sells for $349, a good $120 more than the 11" coil for Equinox! Minelab may have decided to simply avoid that can of worms by keeping the lines completely separate and distinct as far as the coils go.