When Finding Bigger Gold, Is It Best To Not Show It Off?

14 hours ago, madtuna said:

" Please don't take offense Steve, but we just found 3 little sub grammers and it might be the start of a patch so we'd rather keep it to ourselves"

It was on a spot I pointed out to them!

Greed is an evil thing and I have lost what I thought were friends over gold/greed.

What is amazing is guys like you and I want to help people become successful and my staff/I enjoy being around clients/friends when they dig their 1st gold.  Sorry you had to go through that.

• Like 5

Aye madtuna and Gerry, seems we go down the same track with time, I have put onto gold a fair few in my years watched with alarm as some have exploited this with bad behavior, but now when I`m asked to put someone onto gold I simply reply "after you put me onto gold". It sorts the genuine out but is a hard cynical stand although I admit in the past it has been very rewarding putting people onto gold especially first pieces, the look on their faces usually says it all. A quandary for sure.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 1:33 AM, madtuna said:

I had a forum member start ringing and emailing me 3 months before his annual trip to the gold fields, carried on like the friendship was more important than the gold.  Every conversation included how we must go detecting together.

hej Steve

Good to see you well.Maybe we catch up one day- it would be just to have a cold beer.Take care and stay safe.

GoldEN

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, Norvic said:

in the past it has been very rewarding putting people onto gold especially first pieces, the look on their faces usually says it all. 

I have found this to be one of the most fun aspects of detecting. Helping people get on gold. That became even more important after I had two people in particular who were incredibly generous with me in helping me with some wonderful finds. They didn't have to do anything, we would be the same friends whether they helped or not, but they chose to help. I feel honored if I get a chance to pass their kindness forward. Yes you always risk losing 'friends,' but usually I think most of us can tell who is trustworthy and who is not. 

If anyone is interested, this is a short recollection I wrote after the passing of a legendary detector operatorAREA 51, RD's Story pdf .pdf here in Ca. It also involves losing a friend over gold. 

(the pdf below is okay to download)

RD and Area 51 (new).pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

If anyone is interested, this is a short recollection I wrote after the passing of a legendary detector operator....

Enjoyed the read, thanks.  What year was it that he happened upon your group and told this story about his Area 51?  And did he tell you the year he made that discovery?

We met him in (I think) the early 2000s and his discovery was sometime in the 1990's.
There are people here who knew him better than I did - Rob Allison is one - and maybe if he sees this, he can be more specific and fill in some more details. It was pretty famous at the time.

• Like 1