The iron ID in multitone and mute mode is highly dependent on settings of ATS and degree of discrimination selected. It struggles with rusty bottle caps and rusty Bobby pins.

With the increadibly reactive audio, linear iron - like nails etc. are even readily ID’d even in all metal. Of course that long nail with it’s double response might just be a gold chain! With a VLF discriminator, the same nail would ID as iron - but might be masking a gold ring! That situation would not happen with the AQ - you would hear both of the targets.

No perfect detector exists

• Like 8

The iron ID in multitone and mute mode is highly dependent on settings of ATS and degree of discrimination selected. It struggles with rusty bottle caps and rusty Bobby pins.

With the increadibly reactive audio, linear iron - like nails etc. are even readily ID’d even in all metal. Of course that long nail with it’s double response might just be a gold chain! With a VLF discriminator, the same nail would ID as iron - but might be masking a gold ring! That situation would not happen with the AQ - you would hear both of the targets.

No perfect detector exists

Amen...

16 hours ago, vive equinox said:

we all agree on choosing the right tool for the conditions ... however, I don't forget that one of AQ's main advertising arguments was some iron discrimination ability. it would seem after reading the owners' reports except maybe the jag, that it's just a deeper PI 🤔.

Like all things, the AQ is only as good as the operator's skills and their ability to put themselves in the right place.. The discriminant mods are not perfect but as one builds there skill levels with a PI the amount of trash dug can decrease. And you are correct!..One of the best features of the AQ is deeper than anything out there and that in itself can be used as a discrimination tool...dig deep targets only and skip the shallows.. (One of my favorite)  I've had the AQ for about 5 months now and still so much to learn. How much trash do I dig? A few hunts..

20200725_192850.jpg

21D.jpg

21d.jpg

21Q.jpg

20200904_210205.jpg

20200915_220027.jpg

21L.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Wow Joe!  That certainly shows how you are adapting to the AQ. Your trash to good finds ratio is amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the AQ should be known as “My Uncle Harold” - half seriously - (cross threading here - my story about my uncle in the cold winter of ‘43 in the North Atlantic - with only his ears between his ship and those who would destroy it). Primitive sonar in the early 1940’s was used by its most able operators to defeat a threat. OK, enough of the WWII drama - but seriously - a tool has capabilities and an adept user will exploit those to return amazing results. Having said that - no tool is perfect - guaranteeing amazing returns to the least trained or adept operator.

That’s life.

• Like 4

thanks for those pictures joe. assuredly  you made great hunts ! 

I don't quite understand the translation: dig deep targets only and jump shallows? how do you proceed? personally I have pulltabs which are from 0 to 3 meters deep ... see for example my hunt last night, this pulltab waste is typical here, it is so on almost all my beaches. .

I remember a big storm that removed all the sand from a small beach, we were on the hard bottom and there were still plenty of those damn old pulltabs glued to the rock..

CCD39D1F-7AF3-431C-85C0-560E162E39F5.jpeg

B052678E-7EC7-4D92-95AD-4F8DA17947FF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes... I see a lot of pull tabs in your hunt but for me the final gold reward makes it all worthwhile. Until aluminum can be rejected we will all have to dig it. 

The Jag never digs ferrous... 

But there will always be some weird finds that will be dug.

But its ratio is low. I have seen it dozens of times, if not hundreds of times in the beach with him.

I can't seem to reach his ratio. It is a matter of self-confidence.

We have to convince ourselves that we are doing better than a VLF or BBS would do with our ears.
I saw hundreds of gold rings not detected by VLF and BBS due to their shape their carat placed on the sand surface.
When we have seen this it is also difficult to trust them.
Certainly we do not dig any more iron but we lose a lot of gold ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The Gigmaster just received his new machine. He is a good detectorist and will figure out the AQ when he gets a chance to get used to it. I am new to the AQ also, but have used it enough to know iron most of the time. I dig it to reinforce the idea that it is actually iron. That way I can get confident to pass on those type of signals. For straight pieces of iron, the tone and mute mode works well. For bobby pins you have to circle the signal and you will get a double beep from a certain direction to tell you it is a bobby pin. For bottle caps and lobster trap pieces, I still dig them. But location is key to success as well. If you have a lot of broken up aluminum cans and light metal targets, you have to focus on the audio more. Aluminum will keep you busy digging if you let it. So I move to a better section of the beach where the aluminum is washed away and the heavier targets are left. If most of the iron is discriminated, then you have the best chance for deep lead, nickels and of course gold!!! I don't think it's just deeper PI, but rather a better PI. But it is still a PI and it will have some of the negative aspects of a PI.

I could not have said better!
I sincerely think you are right

• Like 5