On 10/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, JohnnyRox said:

Is Carolina more of a water hunter?  Bay or ocean hunter?

I hunt the ocean front beaches (3 main beaches ) usually starting in May and run thru October. That’s not to say I won’t change it up and hunt rivers and the Bay on occasions. Then usually November thru April I am in the rivers and the Bay. Last two weeks of February and March are hit and miss for me as unlike Joe, I don’t like ice !!! He is one tough cookie. I would say my gold comes from 50/50 water vs wash and damp sand. No dry sand for me. July, August and September are productive ocean front knee deep to damp sand times. Storms also guide me from ocean to Bay. Just depends. I have 11 gold from 9 spins so far with the AQ, two being chains without medallions or lobster claw clasps. All these targets were from the ocean front deep in the wash. I have bonded with this machine quite well, but still have a lot to learn I think. If you know PI characteristics, don’t miss a chance at this machine. Call Rick and put your name on the list. People may drop out, or God forbid have unexpected hardships or just plain grow tired of waiting. Believe me, it is worth the wait.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2020 at 4:35 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I use both the "AQ" and the Excalibur (VLF) in combo as a team....I like taking the Excalibur in to a beach to do a evaluation.. Overall and spots I think the AQ will do well and area's I should stay away from. Like a Team working together we decide who goes where.. Right now I know the beach's I hunt very well ...So based on the incoming conditions I choose which beach I am going to..(Weather, Winds, Tides..Waves, etc.) Then my decision on who goes where is based on the reconn and which will be the best. Very Simple.

One thing to remember also. I hunt in the water...which is a great classifier of targets. I let Mother Nature do the work for me...I just have to find the open window. 

That's well said, Joe--physics does part of the work for an experienced pulse hunter.  Probably the most important thing with these super high Gain VLF's as well--just to know the signal strenght and to learn to place your targets in context.  Keeps you off the micros and too big targets at depth. 

cjc

On 10/19/2020 at 2:30 AM, vive equinox said:

we all agree on choosing the right tool for the conditions ... however, I don't forget that one of AQ's main advertising arguments was some iron discrimination ability. it would seem after reading the owners' reports except maybe the jag, that it's just a deeper PI 🤔.

This takes time and practice.  There are pulse machines without tone ID that can all but ID iron as well--you could say that the AQ gives you quite a bit more to work with--and learn. cjc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/19/2020 at 8:30 AM, vive equinox said:

we all agree on choosing the right tool for the conditions ... however, I don't forget that one of AQ's main advertising arguments was some iron discrimination ability. it would seem after reading the owners' reports except maybe the jag, that it's just a deeper PI 🤔.

la plus part des épingles modernes , sont plaqué / rhodié

sinon elle rouillerait dans les cheveux..

tout comme les capsules, les pièces de 1/2/5 cents  qui sont en fer

on détecte le plaquage !

dans la vidéo, il ne lève jamais le disque et passe toujours dans le même sens !

alors que depuis le début on le répète : passer en croix sur la cible 

lever le disque pour ne pas être en saturation

et écouter avant de creuser !

je viens de faire une virée de 4 jours, faut que je monte une vidéo

j'ai du creuser 2 épingles / avec la fatigue on est moins concentré

et moins d'une dizaine de pultab /  en étant toujours en tout métaux..

pas beaucoup de jaune = 4 alliances et une petite bague..

• Like 1

On attend ta vidéo avec impatience ! 

après lui faisait sa première sortie , il va s’y faire peut être avec le temps . 

toi tu es l’expert de l’aq !  

il a une autre vidéo de comparatif air test , mais j’ai peu apprécié, ne serait ce que pour l’audio de l’aq avec deux téléphones..

quand tu dis moins de 10 pulltab, c’est que y’en avait peu ou bien tu les reconnais la plupart du temps ? 

en tout cas barbara n’a pas fait son travail de nettoyage et érosion chez moi . 

41 minutes ago, LE.JAG said:

la plus part des épingles modernes , sont plaqué / rhodié

sinon elle rouillerait dans les cheveux..

tout comme les capsules, les pièces de 1/2/5 cents  qui sont en fer

on détecte le plaquage !

dans la vidéo, il ne lève jamais le disque et passe toujours dans le même sens !

alors que depuis le début on le répète : passer en croix sur la cible 

lever le disque pour ne pas être en saturation

et écouter avant de creuser !

je viens de faire une virée de 4 jours, faut que je monte une vidéo

j'ai du creuser 2 épingles / avec la fatigue on est moins concentré

et moins d'une dizaine de pultab /  en étant toujours en tout métaux..

pas beaucoup de jaune = 4 alliances et une petite bague..

most modern pins are plated / rhodium

otherwise it would rust in the hair.

just like the capsules, the 1/2/5 cent coins that are made of iron

we detect the tackle!

in the video, he never lifts the disc and always goes in the same direction!

while from the beginning we repeat it: cross over the target

lift the disc so as not to be saturated

and listen before you dig!

I just did a 4 day trip, I have to edit a video

I had to dig 2 pins / with fatigue we are less concentrated

and less than ten pultab / while always being in all metals ..

not much yellow = 4 wedding rings and a small ring.
12 minutes ago, vive equinox said:

On attend ta vidéo avec impatience ! 

après lui faisait sa première sortie , il va s’y faire peut être avec le temps . 

toi tu es l’expert de l’aq !  

il a une autre vidéo de comparatif air test , mais j’ai peu apprécié, ne serait ce que pour l’audio de l’aq avec deux téléphones..

quand tu dis moins de 10 pulltab, c’est que y’en avait peu ou bien tu les reconnais la plupart du temps ? 

en tout cas barbara n’a pas fait son travail de nettoyage et érosion chez moi . 

We can't wait for your video!

after he made his first outing, maybe he'll get used to it with time.

you are the aq expert!

it has another air test comparison video, but i didn't like it, if only for the aq audio with two phones.

When you say less than 10 pulltabs, is it that there were few or do you recognize them most of the time?

in any case barbara didn’t do her cleaning and erosion job at my place.
  • Like 1

Clive..... as a full time water hunter....we know you need a good machine that first can tell you theres a deep target down there other machines miss.... or that you just didnt realize it was a target.   Then all i need to know is ........ is it iron.   I do NOT dig every target, nor does anyone else no matter what they say, we pass (or guess) on some targets we think we know....... like very shallow ones..... bottle caps and pull tabs.  We all know the gold range on VLFs....... so many a day i just dont dig iron or high conductors like coins and.... yes even silver/copper.   Two tones work......the less the machine has to process the better.  I dont mind digging a little iron...... if the window includes all the gold on the disc mode.  We do that now........deep bottle caps are a good example.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, the AQ will take some time to learn in order to get the most out of it.  In my one hunt with it so far, I see that it's a more effective PI machine than others I have used (Impulse, Sea Hunter, Dual Field, Mirage, Vallon VMH3CS).  It has a stable threshold (lots of EMI where I hunt), an effective tone mode and is waterproof.

For my first outing I chose a beach that I know well, that also happens to have tons of iron, pull tabs and jewelry.  I used the factory recommendations for submerged use (11.5 delay, default everything else) and all metal mode for a few hours.  Switched to tone mode in the heavy iron areas and back to all metal when I heard a high tone.  The amount of feedback I get from the AQ allowed me to skip over certain types of iron targets that are scattered throughout this beach - other machines were not as easy to do this with.  On the second battery during this hunt I just stuck to tone mode and dug high tones only - resulting in one nice 18k pendant.  Sure, any other good waterproof machine would have found this pendant, but I don't feel like I'm being bogged down by iron and lack of discrimination for once.  Also, I noticed I'm not digging any more microscopic pieces of aluminum like I did with the EQ, CZ21, CTX or Excalibur.

20201111_101111.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice pendant. Looking forward to putting my AQ on the hunt after it comes back from FT.