Alter 71 On The Beach

So after hunting at a Park my friend Greg and I went to a beach, first time with the Alter. Right away I was baffled by the amount of chatter. Changing freqs made minimal difference and I did find a couple of items at 4". The beach was fine sand with a very rock water line- low tide, loaded with iron trash. I realized the sensitivity was at 75, after lowering to 50 the chatter was mostly gone. I am looking for tips for beach settings from you experienced folks.

Took my Multi Kruzer to the salt today to give it a go. As I hit the wet sand I dropped it to 5 khz and seemed to work pretty. There are patches of hot rocks so the spikes make it a bit tricky. For an IB it wasn't bad in All metal mode, beach mode it was very quiet but l again hot rocks are a pain.

Depth was maybe 7-8" tops in the wet which isn't bad for the smaller coil but feel a bigger coil will be counter productive.

I think some machines are just too sensitive to hit the wet, my AT Pro was ok but needed to drop the sensitivity down to 50% in some cases. My Tejon is a no go on the wet as it just falses out and out of range for my ground balance.

For IB machines the Nox leads the pack for stability.

Personally going back to my PI for the beach, much deeper and easier.

Lower frequency will give you more depth. Back the gain down only as you need. I am not too familar with the Alter but if you have an all metal mode you can judge how much the salt effects the threshold. Usually you will start falsing as you swing towards the wet so drop your gb down if it becomes too much. Too much of a wow you will miss targets.

I agree on the AT Pro in the wet it is just too noisy and loose too much depth by the time you drop the sensitivty down to stabilize it.

Between the AT Pro and the Multi Kruzer, both had similar gb #'s of 5-9 in the wet. I found the MK to be much quieter and very quiet in beach mode but I am afriad of losing small targets (stuff lower than nickesl).

• Like 1

Do have a question, are you using a concentric coil or dd? DD will work better in the salt from what I have found.