Apex, Vanquish 540, And Nokta Simplex.... Iron Test... Who Is King?

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Apex, Vanquish 540, And Nokta Simplex.... Iron Test... Who Is King?

Hi calabash , I have just watched your video. Very interesting . From my standpoint I usually do not do iron separation static tests I prefer to test directly in the field the detectors iron separation abilities . I just can say from my tests with the Apex that it will not be a revolution in iron trashed areas , ok it works but nothing outstanding with its chirpy audio ..

It would probably interesting to add a Deus/Orx or a T2/G2 to your test because for me they are excellent on irons , and much better than the Apex and the MLs ..

BTW it looks like you live in a very nice area , thanks for the pics and video  ... 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 8:55 AM, palzynski said:

Hi calabash , I have just watched your video. Very interesting . From my standpoint I usually do not do iron separation static tests I prefer to test directly in the field the detectors iron separation abilities . I just can say from my tests with the Apex that it will not be a revolution in iron trashed areas , ok it works but nothing outstanding with its chirpy audio ..

It would probably interesting to add a Deus/Orx or a T2/G2 to your test because for me they are excellent on irons , and much better than the Apex and the MLs ..

BTW it looks like you live in a very nice area , thanks for the pics and video  ... 🙂

I'd love to see you try that test with the measly lil Tesoro Mojave.

It best every machine I own in nails.

The Compadre as well.

I own many machines.

Minelabs, Garrett, White's, even the lil Simplex.

I wish I had picked up the Tesoros years ago before they crashed.

The Mojave is my primary machine around fence's and homes surrounded by nails.

My Sovereign GT does quite well in nails. Though not as good as that lil Mojave.

I've even heard it's found nuggets others missed in Australia.

I did enjoy your video.

i own a "mojave" and yes, it is outrageously good in iron.
i use mine to hunt sidewalk easements.it's a great little detector,and the 7"
precision thin concentric coil is the perfect match. outstanding totter too! 
since tesoro "croaked" almost impossible to find used, because people hang on to them.
(h.h.!)
j.t.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By palzynski
      I went today to one of my favourite testing areas , a very old site in a forest , low mineralized soil but infested with thousands of nails.
      It is my first outing there with the Apex . I decided to use the Ripper (5X8)coil instead of the Viper ( 6X11 ) because of its smaller size which means better separation , and also because it is lighter than the Viper ( 330g instead of 400g ).
      Up to now I had only done a few short outings with the Apex in less difficult areas , so I have some experience
      of the machine and its settings . I already know that it works very well in iron trashed areas , but I am
      wondering if it will do the job in todays "extreme" outing ...
      Ok lets start the detector . First thing the Apex is very stable , almost silent on the nail bed. 
      There is no noise at all compared for example with the ML multifreqs like the Equinox or the Vanquish ,
      which is a very good thing. My settings : Jewellery mode , freq MF , sens MAX.  Apex soft. version  :  1.28
      I found my first coin only after 5 minutes . Very good news because it is difficult to find new targets
      here. The Ripper coil has the perfect size for hunting (very) small roman coins . It is also very easy
      to center the targets with that coil , no pinpointer required.
      The MS3 wireless headphones are excellent and very reliable , it is a pleasure to use them.
      An important thing , in case of a doubtful signal I always press the Iron Audio button to have more audio info.
      This "Iron Audio" is just equivalent to the Equinox and Vanquish AM ( all metal ) function.
      I dont know why Garrett did not simply call this button AM instead of "Iron Audio" ...
      The signals on targets are sharp and clean , may be a little too sharp , I would have preferred
      a little "softer" audio , but it works very well and this is the most important
      Long story short , I found a total of 6 coins during 1 hour , which is a very good result.🙂
      I am not sure that I would have found more coins with my Deus HF which is a reference in iron trashed areas.
      So I confirm that the Apex is a very good detector in iron trash. It outperforms the ML multifreqs
      in iron trash to my opinion. It is very good on tiny targets as it can be seen on the pics below. Compared to the XPs the Apex is probably quite close to the Deus in terms of separation , but the Deus has the edge concerning its weight ( 800g for the Deus instead of 1150g for the Apex/ripper ).
      On the other hand the Apex is probably much better than the Deus at the beach, and could be a good choice for users looking for a detector performing very well on both inland and beach hunting  ...
      So conclusion of this test the Apex is a very good detector , both easy to use and very efficient in the field , especially with the excellent Ripper coil ... 

GARRETT APEX + RIPPER COIL  --   PLUS AND CONS :
      THE PROS :
       . excellent on iron trashed areas 
       . very good audio / excellent iron filtering
       . sensitive to tiny targets as well as bigger ones ( multifrequency )
       . fast and reactive/accurate on targets 
       . a light detector , weighting only 2.4lbs (1,1kg ) with the Ripper coil
       . the thin control box
       . the lithium/ion battery
       . easy to use even by beginners
       . the excellent MS3 wireless headphones

THE CONS :
       . VDIs a little unstable
       . the rod outdated compared to other brands
       . the coil cable too short for tall persons ( above 6 feet/ 1,85m )
       . no dedicated backlight button 
       . the running freq info ( 5k,10k ... , MF..)  NOT displayed on the main detection screen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      A few pics of todays outing below  ...
      1) First coin with the Apex/Ripper :

2) A bigger one  ... :

3) Total 6 coins :

4) Back home , after cleaning , a nice roman coin : Constantinus , AD 360 , 1660 years old !  :
      legend : CONSTANTINUS PF AUG

reverse legend : GLORIA EXERCITUS

5) The Viper 6X11  and the Ripper 5X8 :

• By mh9162013
      I metal detected my front yard, which has been heavily pounded with my Fisher F2 and Vanquish 540.
      Currently, I detect with my 540 in a modified coin mode, where it's basically the  stock coin mode, but I've notched out some lower numbers. Basically, if it doesn't hit 16 or so, I won't/shouldn't hear it.
      All day Saturday it had been raining, although most of Sunday was sunny and dry. So the ground today was nice and moist, but not wet or soggy at all. When using my 540, it seemed like my entire yard came alive with a bunch of targets hitting 17 or more. Some of these were solid and some were iffy. To put it in perspective, normally when using my 540, I rarely get any strong signal in my front yard over 17 due to heavy hunting done so far.
      However, when I dug the strong signals, about half the time it was a medium-size rusty nail and half the time, it was a penny.
      So I have the following questions:
      1. What's going on here? I've heard that wet or damp soil can improve the depth of your detector. But I went from barely any 17+ signals to tons of them. I was even able to find a dime in the curb strip in front of my house. Normally, unless I'm in all metal mode with my 540, hunting that area results in ZERO signals; pure silence. Now, I get a dime and some solid iron targets? It's almost as if I had never hunted that curb strip before.
      2. Whatever is going on here, will getting an Equinox 600 help me handle it? On the one hand, getting 4 pennies and 1 dime in a heavily hunted area is great. On the other hand, I was digging up more iron than normal. My first thought was that my soil had mineralization whose effects were amplified by the recent rains. So would the Equinox's ability to ground balance make a difference here and if so, how much?
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This release brings your Apex up to date with all improvements made since its introduction. Some of these enhancements include:
      Improved overall stability Faster and more accurate ground balance in saltwater More accurate pinpointing More distinctive tones to better differentiate good targets from iron Backlight powers on temporarily while making Menu changes https://garrett.com/apex-update-instructions

• By Steve Herschbach
      I figured I needed a smaller coil for the Apex, so ordered and it just showed up. Ground is thawing so should be able to use very soon. I like this detector and this coil makes it a real featherweight. 2 lbs 7.7 oz or 2.48 lbs with scuff cover. I like small coils and this is a sweetie, well made, and nice to buy a coil and a cover for reasonable price for once, $119 plus $10 for scuff cover. Garrett part# 2223800

Garrett 5" x 8" Ripper coil for Ace Apex

Ace Apex with Ripper coil

• By Sven1
      What a surprise, the Simplex getting better.........Dilek mentions the update at the end of the video

• By Steve Herschbach
      Jan 25, 2021 NQExplorers - In this video we explore the advanced features of the Garrett Apex metal detector in more depth and give some insights into how the machine works and ways you can use these features to maximise your success. Thanks for watching! Warren and Colleen.