Jump to content

For Sale eBay For Those That Sell On Ebay Watch Out


Recommended Posts

I sold a V3i on ebay. All went well. I went to print out a label to ship the detector and there was another name on the label. I thought no big deal because people on ebay have friends all of the time that have something shipped to their house or another address.

But this guys name who won it on the ebay account is named one thing The guys name on the label is another. I

So a few weeks later I get a notice from paypal saying that the guy claims it was an unautorized purchase. Well, no one has stepped up to the plate who says they need to return this machine through ebay. So I took and had to provide tracking information and also I took pictures of his ebay account and also the address where it was shipped to where it shows the name associated on the address.

So  a few days later paypal said I was protected under the seller protection plan through paypal and that the money would not be taken out of my account.

Paypal said it was his financial institution who stepped in to make the unauthorized purchase claim.

So this is what happened.

The guy bought a nice V3i for 860.00 and charged it on his credit card through paypal.

Had it shipped under a different name to his address.

Waited 2 weeks for his credit card statement to arrive and called them to say, hey someone hacked into my ebay account and bought something for 860.00 and I did not do it.

And now he has a free Whites V3i.

It is that simple. So anyways, just wanted to give the name and address for a couple of low lifes taking advantage of the system.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to For Those That Sell On Ebay Watch Out

I appreciate the desire to warn people, but posting names and addresses on this website is not something I am comfortable with. I have removed the personal information - if anyone has a need to know they can PM you. The main lesson here is never use PayPal friends and family for anything other than genuine friends or family. You did not and so you were covered by the PayPal seller protection plan. 👍🏼

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I appreciate the desire to warn people, but posting names and addresses on this website is not something I am comfortable with. I have removed the personal information - if anyone has a need to know they can PM you. The main lesson here is never use PayPal friends and family for anything other than genuine friends or family. You did not and so you were covered by the PayPal seller protection plan. 👍🏼

 

Another thing to note, no matter how much the buyer cries about it, do not ever send expensive items without signature delivery required. eBay/Paypal has just changed their policy about this, and has posted that they are now requiring signature delivery for items over $750 or they will not cover your seller guarantee.

It’s also important to only send it to a Paypal verified email address and their verified mailing address. For a recent detector I was selling on eBay, I had several parties try to scam me saying that they work and can’t sign, they will give me extra money if I send it to them without signature required delivery, they wanted me to send it to a different person then they were at some other address, and all kinds of goofy excuses to Try and get me to send something to them without signature delivery required. All they have to do is take it off the porch and say it never arrived  and I am out of my money.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I appreciate the desire to warn people, but posting names and addresses on this website is not something I am comfortable with. I have removed the personal information - if anyone has a need to know they can PM you. The main lesson here is never use PayPal friends and family for anything other than genuine friends or family. You did not and so you were covered by the PayPal seller protection plan. 👍🏼

I do not have a problem posting criminals info but I did not consider how this site may feel. 

Anyways, i had to go through a bunch of hoops at my bank as well before PayPal just sucked up the loss because I wasn't gonna be a statistic with a machine out of my hands and be out the money too.

And yes if anyone wants to know the name and info feel more than welcome to ask me and I will give it to you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigtim1973 said:

I do not have a problem posting criminals info but I did not consider how this site may feel. 

Anyways, i had to go through a bunch of hoops at my bank as well before PayPal just sucked up the loss because I wasn't gonna be a statistic with a machine out of my hands and be out the money too.

And yes if anyone wants to know the name and info feel more than welcome to ask me and I will give it to you. 

I had a similar situation here too, a guy followed me here from eBay wanting me to sell privately and tried to set me up too. I wrote about it in this thread and there are other good scam examples and how to deal with them here as well: 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is good to know. So how can you be sure the purchaser is legit or your not getting scammed?

Working on another batch of diggers and may just do direct sales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I appreciate the desire to warn people, but posting names and addresses on this website is not something I am comfortable with. I have removed the personal information - if anyone has a need to know they can PM you. The main lesson here is never use PayPal friends and family for anything other than genuine friends or family. You did not and so you were covered by the PayPal seller protection plan. 👍🏼

 

2 hours ago, kac said:

That is good to know. So how can you be sure the purchaser is legit or your not getting scammed?

Working on another batch of diggers and may just do direct sales.

I do not think it would be a regular concern but now I see why guys post so many buyer requirements. 

Just make sure the name is the same on the account and shipping address. 

A lot of people only sell to confirmed addresses. They used to anyway. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigtim1973 said:

 

I do not think it would be a regular concern but now I see why guys post so many buyer requirements. 

Just make sure the name is the same on the account and shipping address. 

A lot of people only sell to confirmed addresses. They used to anyway. 

Also dont allow the buyer to set up the shipping (big scam - "my shipper will come and pick it up when the certified check clears"). Only send the item to the address and the person listed on the paypal invoice, signature delivery, google the person and do a basic check to see if their email and address seem legit- is it a house, western union store, empty lot, closed business? I’ve seen those when looking at the address on street view that people wanted me to ship items to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

×
×
  • Create New...