Hunted A Beach With The GPX 5000

Nice hunt and glad for the saves that you made.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

That is some DEEP detecting.  My 5000 on the beach never produced that many silver coins the years I used it.  What coil are you using?  I have a platty on mine now and did one hunt with it this year.

Our beaches where we get the most finds are 'wash in' beaches when they are good.  The good stuff (never good coins it seems) washes onto moving sand from where it has laid waiting for the energy to push it up.  The churning surf areas make it very difficult to water detect the staging areas.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:59 AM, mn90403 said:

That is some DEEP detecting.  My 5000 on the beach never produced that many silver coins the years I used it.  What coil are you using?  I have a platty on mine now and did one hunt with it this year.

Our beaches where we get the most finds are 'wash in' beaches when they are good.  The good stuff (never good coins it seems) washes onto moving sand from where it has laid waiting for the energy to push it up.  The churning surf areas make it very difficult to water detect the staging areas.

I'm using A Detech 12.5 DD coil. Our beaches may be different from your beaches. This beach is not directly exposed, so it doesn't take direct hits. Long Island provides some indirect protection. So most of the beach remains intact unless a huge storm pulls some sand down. These coins have been there from the time they were lost, and have seen little water over the years. That is why the silver comes out bright, not black, the Buffalo nickles are dark and not corroded. Even the wheat pennies look good, but suffered the worst of it with cement like, green corrosion forming on some of them. If they were coins that were pulled out to sea and redeposited, over and over again, they would look very different. Not all beaches here produce silver coins, but 2 in particular have been very good to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1