Gold Hunting In Water: XP Deus HF 9" Coil 28 Khz Or X35 9" Coil 28 Khz Which One Is Better?

⁉️ Which one is better? Has anyone done a comparison test between the two coils for a jewelry hunt in the water? (freshwater or land)

Both are able to use the same frequency. 28 kHz is very good for detecting gold. When I hunt in the water it is a very useful feature of target ID normalization. On the of LF coil, this was a big advantage. I set the gold range, so I only dug out the signals that belong to it.
The HF 9" coil is great, but when I increase the frequency the VDI changes, getting higher and higher. The upper range will become narrower. This makes it difficult to decide whether to dig or not.
Let's look at an example.
A 1.5 g 14K wedding ring is the test object.
HF 9 "coil at 14 kHz = ID 50, 28 kHz = ID 65, 56 kHz = ID 79.
X35 11 "coil 11.3 kHz = ID 54, 16.4 kHz = ID 54, 25.4 kHz = ID 54!
If I use frequency offset these numbers will change a bit.

The general opinion of many people is that the HF coil is the best. I'm not so sure about that. I looked at this idea in terms of the gold jewelry hunt.
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Gold Hunting In Water: XP Deus HF 9" Coil 28 Khz Or X35 9" Coil 28 Khz Which One Is Better?

At the frequency of interest (~28 khz) they are about the same.  But note the X35 coil can be adjusted from 23.5 to 27.7 khz, the HF coil is 26 to 31 khz.  So you can go slightly higher with the HF coil, plus you have 54 khz.  For pure prospecting I would go with the HF, for jewelry its a wash.  If you want max high conductor depth, it is the x35 because it can be operated down to 3 5 khz.

• Like 2

It is interesting how few use Deus in freshwater in the US.  Here in Europe, this machine is popular among water hunters.  I really like to use the HF scroll for jewelry hunting in the lakes.  But I know several hunters who can easily find a lot of chains, small earrings, the back of an earring with the old low frequency coil.  The HF coil is much more sensitive to gold.  The gold range changes as the frequency increases.  Therefore, it is much more difficult to learn typical values, coins.  In a very trashy place, it is more difficult to select the gold range.

• Like 1

Using the X35 with the Deus you have a choice of ID normalization ON or OFF which might be an advantage for your situation. Also, having the battery in the lower shaft of the HF coils instead of sealed inside the X35 coil would worry me........

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Also, having the battery in the lower shaft of the HF coils instead of sealed inside the X35 coil would worry me........

Ok, but for the benefit of the OP, XP stands behind both designs with a warranty as fully waterproof coils.

32 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Using the X35 with the Deus you have a choice of ID normalization ON or OFF which might be an advantage for your situation.

Good point.  I thought of this also, but felt it was not that big of a deal for mid-conductive gold targets that even though the target IDs increase, they don't get jammed up at the top of the scale like high conductive targets such as silver. 

Having ID norm for the 25 khz setting with the X35 can be a useful advantage vs. the un-normlized HF coils  (Side note ORX normalizes both X35 and the HF coils), though I would not likely use that frequency for high conductive targets.

• Like 2

The situation may be different in Europe but here in the USA most of the dealer websites I visit are Sold Out of the HF coils or are charging top dollar for them. If I was water hunting here I would be using a coil that I know could be replaced easily. Whether the repair facility has them here is another question. COVID-19 is definitely having an effect on the supply chain from Europe and I don’t see that getting better soon. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:01 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The situation may be different in Europe but here in the USA most of the dealer websites I visit are Sold Out of the HF coils or are charging top dollar for them. If I was water hunting here I would be using a coil that I know could be replaced easily. Whether the repair facility has them here is another question. COVID-19 is definitely having an effect on the supply chain from Europe and I don’t see that getting better soon. 

This situation will not change for a while.  There will also be changes within Europe when the UK leaves the EU without an agreement in December.  The Xp is French and I think the English market is the biggest in this hobby.  And in continental Europe, it buys most used detectors from England.

In Central Europe, the prices of 9 "coils - white HF and the new 9" X35 coil are practically the same ...

* The price of black 9 "LF coils of the previous 2nd generation can already be used
apartment often somewhere even significantly lower ...

Here it must be said that black 9 "LF coils were produced in the 1st and 2nd generation.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:34 PM, Timmysys said:

This situation will not change for a while.  There will also be changes within Europe when the UK leaves the EU without an agreement in December.  The Xp is French and I think the English market is the biggest in this hobby.  And in continental Europe, it buys most used detectors from England.

From what I know ( an info given by my dealer ) , the biggest market for XP is ... Russia .

btw I am not surprised that the 9 HF coil has a great success everywhere . I just did an outing yesterday evening with in an open field and it is a killer .... I always use this HF coil on my Deus , it is so efficient that I do not even need to try something else . I just prefer the Vanquish in parks and woods/forests because it is a little more powerful and accurate , and with the Vanquish I can see the VDIs which is not possible on the Deus WS4 .