I'm Looking For A New Relic Detector...

Hello everyone, I have been out of the hobby for 15 years or so. I have a Minelab XS and was wondering what unit I should buy as an upgrade to this machine.. I mainly search for relics and coins.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Oh, I do some beach searching but very little.. Most of my searching is in the hills of Georgia..

Thank you,

Tim

• Like 2

Have a search through the Minelab Equinox forum, I think either the Equinox 600 or 800 would be fine replacement for the Explorer (coming from an ex Explorer SE Pro and Etrac user).  Despite not having both Fe & Conductivity VDI's (only the latter), the Equinox is much lighter, just as capable depth wise, has much better target separation in junky or iron infested areas, and is fully waterproof. 

I think you will be surprised at what the Equinox will find in areas that the Explorer has already "cleaned out", especially those older relic sites. 

• Like 4

Hello Tim,

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here!

I'm with Goldpick; the Equinox 600 or 800 are great choices! And you can find deals on used ones! Just make sure that they have some of the 3 year warranty left! If you want some of the same benefits of a multi frequency machine, than the Vanquish is a close runner-up, minus the waterproofness! At a lower price point!

Both great choices for what you hunt! Good luck, and keep us posted!👍👍

• Like 2

Welcome Tim,

The Equinox 800 is a really great unit and it works well in iron infested areas.

There are a lot of people who use it for relic hunting without any problems, because they can use it in wet or dry areas.

Good luck.

• Like 2

If you dont need a ID meter,  and want a deep relic hunter, look at the Deeptech Vista X.  It Comes with a 11" coil, optional 5", 6 x 8" , 14" coils.  It sells for around $550.  The Minelab equinox units are good versatile detectors .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi,

If your soil is mild ( not too mineralized ) and you hunt on low to medium iron trashed sites , the ML Vanquish is a very good choice , its perfos are the same as the Equinox . With the V10 coil It is lghter than the Nox and simpler to use. And also cheaper . Even the Vanquish 340 at 200$ is an excellent machine ... Just there is no headphones bluetooth on the 340 and 440, only the 540 has the bluetooth.

Btw the Vanquish audio is similar to the Explorer audio. I had an Explorer XS at the beginning of the 2000s .. 

If you detect on iron trashed sites , then the XPs Deus and Orx are very good choices ..

HH

• Like 1

Don't overlook a great resource this Forum provides in the Guides & Detector Database that Steve has compiled. You can access them at the top of page. A lot has changed in the last 15 years in detectors, almost all of it very good. It may take a little study and thought on your needs & wants but it would be hard to make a bad choice in a new detector.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We get continual requests about advice on the "best detector" for various purposes. I have therefore created a new tag "best detector" that links all these together for easy review. Click below for a list. It is not relic specific, just any time a person asks about the "best detector for...." question.

best detector

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1