I'm Looking For A New Relic Detector...

You can try to snag a Tesoro Tejon and stuff a 10x12 widescan on it and do very well. Vista X is a newer style of the dual discrim analog and does have iron audio which is a plus. The Tejon has a sweet spot for frequency and has a very high gain but I would consider it moderate in recovery speed when compared to many of the machines out now.

Another couple of options is the CF Coinfinder and Blisstool. Relic hunting typically involves Iron and Not Iron then determine the size of an object and depth by the response intensity and duration of swing. Something your probably very familiar with already.

Other option to consider is the XP machines.

I am not sure what Jeff means by up averaging as the Tejon is simply controlled by trimming out the low and below and has 2 ranges. Primary disc and Alt disc activated by pushing the trigger forward. The primary Disk is always set lower than the alt disc unless you want to walk around with your finger on the trigger forward all the time.

All metal mode on the Tejon is not super but will give you great deal of judgement on the target. It is activated by pulling the trigger. Basic operation is to trim out the small bits of iron Disc1 or in high trash areas with foil trim to break on the smaller peices. Set the 2nd disc to narrow material type ie break on a ring tab or zinc penny. You hear a crackle it is boarderline trash, clear signal push the trigger and see where it falls. If it cuts out then it is less than your tab or zinc penny so it would be copper, brass or silver.

Large targets you can hear equally well as you lift the coil ie such as a buried bear can. A worthy target the tone will fall off quickly such as large silver and copper. Other indicator is tone roll, aluminum tends to sound bright and flat and if fairly shallow will have a slight pop on either end.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

I am not sure what Jeff means by up averaging (of) the Tejon....

I think he shows it in the short video he posted this past weekend:

• Like 1

Kac, Yep, the Tejon I used along with the Vaquero and the Cibola in the video Chuck referred to all up averaged low to mid conductive non-ferrous targets here meaning if I set my Tesoros up to just discriminate out a surface to 2” deep nickel, gold ring, lead bullet, pull tab or can slaw, the same targets at 4” would no longer be discriminated out at the same setting. At 6” they could not be discriminated out even by turning discrimination all the way up to the highest setting. So, those very good Tesoros along with any other single frequency detector whether beep dig or with digital screens and multi tones will read a 4” deep nickel, bullet, gold ring, pull tab or coin sized can slaw like a copper penny, dime or quarter. That’s okay if I think I’m digging a quarter in modern trash and I get a nickel, gold ring or lead bullet instead. However, it is not okay if I think I’m digging a quarter or something better in modern trash and instead I dig a 6” pull tab or small can slaw. Which one do you think happens more often?????

I never experienced that with my Tejon. If I disc out a target and that target is then planted deeper it will still disc out the same. Only think I could think of that would cause that is if your ground balance was off and/or there is emi that is causing it to shift. If anything if there is iron in the ground or magnetite it may drag a signal down and in that case if i disc out at that point it still remains the same. Maybe your ground is worse than mine but my ground balance on my VDI machines run in the mid 80's-low 90's on average.

I did have recent trouble with my ground balance pot as it is worn out and it caused havoc with my threshold where I would get a flutter and had dead spots in balancing. I used a potentiometer cleaner and gave it a good blast through one of the pins and worked the cleaner in. Machine is running good now.

I don't expect that machine to be perfectly on a target and nor does that really matter in the big scope of things when relic hunting for me as I am not looking for anything specific and have absolutely no idea what target I will find. Unlike coin shooting where your looking for specific known targets and rely on TID's, relic hunting your looking for a broader range of metal types ie is it iron, gold, brass, copper or silver?

I fully understand why TID is so important to so many when hitting parks and want to reduce the amount they dig.

• Oh my! 1

Once again Kac, your reply to me is telling me that "I Don't Know What I'm Doing or There Is Something Wrong With My Detector".

That gets old. My experience is different from yours and the same detector used here acts differently from where you detect. So you can just believe it or not, but please stop telling me ways to fix it especially when I didn't ask for help.  

I like just about every detector I have used in my life. I would happily own one or two from every brand if I could afford them all. I have tested 34 different detectors in the last 5 years using the same test that is shown in the video Chuck linked above. Only five detectors could tonally and numerically ID the coins in that test accurately. The Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Vanquish 340, Vanquish 440 and the Vanquish 540. I have never had the pleasure of running an Explorer, Etrac or CTX 3030 on this test. The Whites DFX and V3i failed that test miserably by the way so all simultaneous multi frequency detectors are not created equally.

In a perfect world with no Covid 19 and everybody had plenty of money to buy the Relic detectors of their dreams, right now, with what is available today, I would recommend the OP buy an Equinox 600, XP Deus or XP ORX with 9" HF coil, a Deep Tech Vista X and a QED PL3. That would definitely cover all the scenarios and cost around $3000 to $4000 USD. That would be heaven except for me there are no USA made detectors in my four recommended detectors and that is SAD...........

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

That would be heaven except for me there are no USA made detectors in my four recommended detectors and that is SAD...........

The problem I have seen with single frequency detectors in highly mineralized soil (namely Deus) is that they up average and then wrap into iron.  Then the signal disappears beyond the edge of detection.  The Tarsacci I am testing now (USA made, btw) seems to never wrap to ferrous before the edge of detection.  That means, that when it says non-ferrous, it means non-ferrous and seems to punch deeper than my Deus.  Still need to test it against Equinox, though.  Will have to wait for a couple weeks until I can get back to the hot dirt and verify it can deliver on what it appears to promise, so far.  Not as versatile as the other popular detectors mentioned in this thread so I am not recommending it to the OP, but I think it is worthy of being in the conversation.

• Like 3

I haven't experienced smaller targets wrapping or up averaging. I have had large iron, flat iron and aluminum hit high and do that but they are usually pretty obvious targets.

Typically I have my target signal's number get dragged down in patches of iron. IE a penny that normally hits 76 might be in the mid or high 60's. The most unpredictable targets we have here in the NE is coal as it can spike and make finding adjacent targets nearly impossible to hear.

On my MK I typically don't run my gain super high as I found it unstable in many areas. Keeping that in mind if you drop the gain on the Deus does it still wrap?

And Jeff I never accused you of not knowing what you are saying nor do I dispute what you say because I never detected in your area with the same machines.

• Like 2

I like the Tejon, it goes deep and it hits good on iron relics including smaller iron relics like old small locks etc. Most new detectors aren't very good for iron relics if like hunting for them. I didn't notice any up averaging or iron wrap around. There is a lot of telling in the analog circuit that tells you if that beep is good or not. There isn't any falsing either. You just get some crackles and pops in iron trash. I wish I still had my Tejon.

• Like 2

Rick,

I'm sure somewhere out there is another Tejon with your name on it!! Get-er-done!!👍👍

I am curious what mineral would cause the targets to up average. Just something we don't experience in my neck of the woods. My guess is the mineral would have a higher conductivity than the target.

We have magnetite here but not enough to really detect or so infrequent it never really posed a major issue unlike the bog iron we have. Would that cause a negative hot rock effect? I come across those once in a while and notice them much more with all metal mode.