Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm excited to be getting into detecting - I picked up a Gold Bug II and I'm planning a desert camping trip soon. I'm targeting the Salton Sink and Bradshaw trail areas - I'm sure a lot of people here are familiar with these spots. I'm not specifically looking for Pegleg's gold, but I wouldn't mind finding it either.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, chuckwalla!  I look forward to your reports on your upcoming adventures.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Chuck,

    Happy to see you here! Sound's like an interesting trip you have planned! I know a little about the history of the Salton Sea, and the abandoned town there! Always thought that would be an interesting area to detect, if the extreme amount of ground salt's didn't do a number on detecting depth!

   Good Luck! And let us know how it goes!👍👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Welcome Chuck,

    Happy to see you here! Sound's like an interesting trip you have planned! I know a little about the history of the Salton Sea, and the abandoned town there! Always thought that would be an interesting area to detect, if the extreme amount of ground salt's didn't do a number on detecting depth!

   Good Luck! And let us know how it goes!👍👍

That's a good point about the salt content - I think I'm probably going to stick towards the mountains and arroyos above sea level for my first trip.

re: the abandoned town, do you mean Eagle Mountain? I was just watching some youtube videos about it. Looks like a great place to do some detecting, and I can see that there's actually a 4x4 trail that leads into the back of it, all through BLM land.

Edit* the back road unfortunately goes partially through Joshua Tree National Park - I assume I wouldn't even want to have a detector in my vehicle if it passes through NPS land.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard and happy hunting.

Don't get discouraged on your first hunt like I did. I am just learning my detector and am now finding some good finds. This is a hobby that takes some people time and patience to learn their equipment.

Sounds like a good spot that you are going to, and the timing is good weather for you.

Hope you have fun and stay safe from the snakes and critters.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Chuckwalla,

I actually got to detect many of the abandoned homes you pictured at Eagle Mountain about twenty years ago.  Hitched my way in on an Eagle Mtn. Mine tour arranged by the Yucaipa Historical Society.  I only got about two hours of hunt time in before we had to leave, but did manage a few silvers, wheats and cool do dads from under all those clothes lines that were behind those dwellings.  I haven't heard of anyone getting in there legally, since.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Welcome aboard and happy hunting.

Don't get discouraged on your first hunt like I did. I am just learning my detector and am now finding some good finds. This is a hobby that takes some people time and patience to learn their equipment.

Sounds like a good spot that you are going to, and the timing is good weather for you.

Hope you have fun and stay safe from the snakes and critters.

Thanks - I'll be wearing my snake chaps and carrying my PLB for safety. I enjoy camping and exploring in the desert, so I figured detecting would be a good way to enhance the entire experience (and justify more week-long trips) - I'm happy just to be out there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

Welcome Chuckwalla,

I actually got to detect many of the abandoned homes you pictured at Eagle Mountain about twenty years ago.  Hitched my way in on an Eagle Mtn. Mine tour arranged by the Yucaipa Historical Society.  I only got about two hours of hunt time in before we had to leave, but did manage a few silvers, wheats and cool do dads from under all those clothes lines that were behind those dwellings.  I haven't heard of anyone getting in there legally, since.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

That sounds like an amazing opportunity. The surrounding BLM land appears to have a lot of claims on it as well, but there appears to be some possible spots to explore to the south of the town.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chuckwalla said:

That sounds like an amazing opportunity. The surrounding BLM land appears to have a lot of claims on it as well, but there appears to be some possible spots to explore to the south of the town.

In the 70's and 80's we did a fair amount of detecting starting about 10 miles from there. East of the Coxcomb mountains was one of several Army training camps from the early 40's. We found coins, buttons, insignia, shell casings, a little jewelry and lots of bottle caps. Only been out there a couple of times in the last 10 years.

This video was not at Coxcomb but the finds were typical of what we found when we first went out there.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Compass said:

In the 70's and 80's we did a fair amount of detecting starting about 10 miles from there. East of the Coxcomb mountains was one of several Army training camps from the early 40's. We found coins, buttons, insignia, shell casings, a little jewelry and lots of bottle caps. Only been out there a couple of times in the last 10 years.

This video was not at Coxcomb but the finds were typical of what we found when we first went out there

 

The history on those camps is interesting, I didn't realize there were so many of them (I've seen the Patton monument at Chiriaco Summit, but never paid to go into the museum - I guess I'll pay the $10 next time).

this blog has some amazing pictures of the training centers in the 1940s for anyone interested

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By CanadianScouser
      Hello folks .I have been aware of this great forum for quite some time and finally joined.I live not far from Toronto .Started detecting in 2000. Originally from U.K .Been back for 4 hunts at Colchester. .Left for Canada in 1966 and regretfully I never pursued the sport while resident there .I am 81 now and still very active ,detecting about 4 days a week in 3 to 4 hour stints .Lots of rings and nice finds over the years .present Arsenal includes  V3I ,Racer 2 ,Deus ,ORX ,At Pro,Highly modified Quest Pro .Will try to add a finds picture .Equinox 600.
       
    • By FastR1Red
      G'day from lovely downunder. I thought I'd introduced myself but evidently not, apologies.
      I had a GP3000 and 3500 many years ago. Had to sell up due to divorce but kept my Sovereign GT for the beach and parks.
      Back on the hunt now so will be picking up a GM soon when they come back up on special, and something a bit better down the road when I'm a better off financially.
      Just thought I'd say hi,,,and yes I have an old banjo LOL. 
    • By bluemask
      Hi,
       
       I'm a old (age over 50) detectorist from Italy. I used a lot of m.d. in 26 years (various model of Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, XP, Fisher, Garrett and the latest Rutus), but i love so much the Whites Spectrum XLT. This is for me the best detector of all time. I hope to know news and interesting contents about the magic m.d. world!
      Greetings from Italy
    • By Arch Stanton
      I have some unexpected extra time on my hands and am going to give metal detecting another try after quite a few years.  I was on a couple of forums that might not exist anymore.  I took the detectors out of the closet and brushed off the cobwebs and dust.  I have a Troy Shadow X2, Tesoro Bandido II, and a Whites GMT.  I mainly used the Shadow for hunting for relics and found a few. I recently sold a Tesoro Eldorado to a friend and hopefully he'll get the detecting bug and we can go out and find something interesting.    I'd like to resume the hobby and search for relics, gold, and meteorites out here in the desert.  This is a great forum with expert reviews on detectors and many informative posts.  I hope to learn quite a bit and enjoy the hobby.  
    • By AUgetter
      I am retiring at the end of August.  I will be pulling my 5th wheel around the US hunting nuggets and relics.  I have been mostly vacation detecting for a couple of years now.  I am really looking forward to doing A LOT more of it with way better equipment.  I have met a lot of other detectorists out there and what I'm looking most forward to is making friends with more of you.  I get a lot of enjoyment from sitting around the campfire swapping stories, getting to know people and absorbing some of the vast knowledge of how and where to hunt.  I hope to see y'all down the road!
    • By Purplehays69
      Finally got onto the forum. 
×
×
  • Create New...