Coil Ear Stiffener Recomendations?

67GTA

Just got bitten by the broken coil ear bug. Have had the Nox for 2 years and thought I was special because mine hadn't broken yet. It is on it's way to PA. Wanted to get one of the stiffener devices to put on the new coil for insurance. I've read a couple of horror storiesĀ of both ears breaking off after using one. I was leary of just buying from eaby or amazon. If you use one who did you buy it from and how has it worked?

I have had my Nox since Jan. and i decided to throw a coil protector on a few months ago, i choose the Sun Ray coil protector for around eighteen bucks i think. Found it on E-bay hope that helps some.

I would recommend buying the 'stiffener' after your lug has broken. I'm skeptical they serve any purpose before then --- you still have to squeeze the lugs together enough to cause adequate friction on the rubber clevis washers. This strains the lugs, with or without a stiffener.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 67GTA said:

Just got bitten by the broken coil ear bug. Have had the Nox for 2 years and thought I was special because mine hadn't broken yet. It is on it's way to PA. Wanted to get one of the stiffener devices to put on the new coil for insurance. I've read a couple of horror storiesĀ of both ears breaking off after using one. I was leary of just buying from eaby or amazon. If you use one who did you buy it from and how has it worked?

Return your coil to minelab for warranty. When your new one comes install the coil stiffener with epoxy.Ā  When looking to purchase, make sure the stiffener is made from solid plastic not hollow core.Ā  Ā Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Then, if something else fails on your coil and you send it in they have a reason to invalidate your warranty for modifications to the coil, I'd use hot glue rather than epoxy if doing that do you could warm it up to remove the modification if necessary.

I had a modified coil that failed and no questions asked.Ā 

• Like 1

If you have access to a 3D printer, just print this:

Coil Ears Protector for Minelab Equinox 11" Coil

Change the print orientation to print on it's sideĀ for better strength, with supports, at 100% infill, and use a strong filament like Polycarbonate or a PC blend, PC-Max, or at least PETG. It fits the coil perfectly.

I haven't had a problem yet, but I also don't overtighten the bolt, because I like it loose enough to make slight adjustments on the fly with a light push on the ground to level the coil.

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion is totally useless. The real factor that could break your coil ear, is just the friction between plastic from the coil and plastic from the terminal shaft. This happens because the rubber is consumed. I suggest to buy a pack of them, and verify constantly if they need to be replaced with new one.

• Like 2

Both of my coil ears broke in April and I'd been using a coil ear stiffener. Ā Didn't help in my case. Ā Sent the coil in for warranty replacement and received a new coil in a week. Ā I asked the guy at the PA repair facility why the ears break and he said over tightening the coil bolt seems to be the biggest problem. Ā I no longer use the ear stiffener and don't over tighten the coil bolt - so far, so good.

If you opt to use a stiffener make sure the coil bolt goes through the stiffener and ears easily and the whole assembly fits together freely on the lower shaftĀ without needing force to get it all put togetherĀ  Avoid any strain on the coil ears.

• Like 2

Mine hadn't broke off completely yet. There was a crack all the way through at the 2 o'clock position. I was always worried about them breaking and recently cut out some milk jug plastic to go behind the rubber washers. Maybe it was my fault one of them cracked.

• Like 1

Are the coil ears being broken on land or because of use in the water? I am confused on this stiffener deal, i have been using mine in the river and on land. I mostly use my detector on land and probably do not need it, but i am wondering if people are also breaking coil ears on land. If i don't overtighten the bolts the stiffener seems fine.Ā