Coil Ear Stiffener Recomendations?

67GTA

2 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Are the coil ears being broken on land or because of use in the water? I am confused on this stiffener deal, i have been using mine in the river and on land. I mostly use my detector on land and probably do not need it, but i am wondering if people are also breaking coil ears on land. If i don't overtighten the bolts the stiffener seems fine. 

A friend of mine broke his ears and all he hunts is land. Mostly fields and woods.

I'm always afraid of overtightening, not only about the ears breaking but the bolt as well. I put a piece of grip tape on the inside of one ear to give more traction to the smooth surface. It's an adhesive backed tape that you put on stairs so that you don't slip. This way, I don't have to over tighten the bolt. I've been doing this for years on many different detectors and it seems to work. The coil is loose enough to move when you want it to but stiff enough to prevent it from flopping around. I started doing it because it bothers me when the coil lays flat every time I set the detector down.  So far I've never had a problem.

5 hours ago, 67GTA said:

Mine hadn't broke off completely yet. There was a crack all the way through at the 2 o'clock position. I was always worried about them breaking and recently cut out some milk jug plastic to go behind the rubber washers. Maybe it was my fault one of them cracked.

Yes. If the rubber inside was good, there are no ways to stop the friction from outside the bolt. So, i´ve cut a rounded tiny plastic to put between the bolt and the ear coil. Just make shure that no sand are in there, or it will scratch the ear coil too much.

54 minutes ago, phrunt said:

CRC 808 Silicone

Their 808 product doesn't seem to be available in the USA but here is an inexpensive (CRC brand) version available in the USA which hopefully serves the purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Heavy-Duty-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B0042NWOLY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2G6JEZVJM0YQT&dchild=1&keywords=crc%2Bsilicone%2Bspray&qid=1604002024&sprefix=CRC%2Bsilicone%2B%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1&th=1

I just ordered a can.  Thanks for the advice, Simon.

• Like 1

There he is again folks,

Simon the salesman! We will just update his name to "Simon the Silicone Salesman"!😂

You need your own Channel Simon!! I'll be your first subscriber!!📡

• Like 1

Lubricating the washers with silicone makes no sense at all to me. It will just make everything more slippery requiring the bolt to be even tighter than would normally be necessary to hold the coil in place.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, phrunt said:

What you're saying makes perfect sense, only it doesn't appear that way in practice for some reason.  Try it and see, you can have the bolts quite loose and the coil holds in place at your desired angle, even my 15x12" is loosely done up and doesn't move.  Where it takes all the pressure off is every time I put down and pickup the detector, it glides up and down where as before doing it there was a creaking noise sometimes putting it up and down from the rubber on plastic.  On my GPX the rubber was being eaten away doing that, now I've sprayed it problem solved.  I'm using the Detect-ED coil saver washers which are a bit thicker than the stock washers too.  It's not like an oil that leaves a big layer or anything, it's a thin little layer that allows for slightly easier movement with less friction.

Interesting.  I will try it

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This just has to take a lot of stress off the coil ears.

Thanks for the video Simon and I will be checking grandfathers unit for the silicon.

I don't want to break his detector and believe that the silicon is rejuvenating the rubber and plastic for a better hold.

I ran out of likes and will come back to this when I have more again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

I freshly sprayed my rubbers now, and took a little video to show you the results, you can't get much looser of a coil than I've got in the video, the bolts just spin in place they're that loose, I'd never detect with them this loose but it shows it holds in place well even after a fresh spray.  Also the coil glides up and down when you put the detector down.

This just has to take a lot of stress off the coil ears.

Laying flat when you put the detector down is exactly what I don't want the coil to do. I like the coil to stay in the hunting position at all times. That's why I put grip tape on one ear. It holds the coil in place when I set it down but still allows for minor angle adjustments while hunting.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the coil being too tight but I have snapped bolts from overtightening. If I want my coil to be looser, I just loosen the bolt a little.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm using the Detect-ED coil saver washers which are a bit thicker than the stock washers too.

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

...You can have the bolts quite loose and the coil holds in place at your desired angle, even my 15x12" is loosely done up and doesn't move.

I suspect the thicker washers are a requirement to be able to do this so efficiently (as shown in your video).  My rig was modified to an S-shaft which includes the ML X-Terra lower shaft section.  Pretty sure I have spare 'washers' for that so I'll try the silicone on one set.  If I don't like the result I can revert to the other set of washers.

I adjust my coil angle quite often so being able to do that without stressing anything would be a nice improvement.  I'll report back what I find.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

I freshly sprayed my rubbers now, and took a little video to show you the results, you can't get much looser of a coil than I've got in the video, the bolts just spin in place they're that loose, I'd never detect with them this loose but it shows it holds in place well even after a fresh spray.  Also the coil glides up and down when you put the detector down.

Unfortunately your thoughts would not work for ocean hunters that require the coil not to be moved by water forces. THIS is really the only fix.  The coil support is epoxied in place and then plastic side plates are epoxied to the outside. Each coil ear in now 1/2 wide. Break that! 

image.png.5287bc00f85fb95db06e15aaf8a7a5c9.png

coil 2.jpg

• Like 2