Coil Ear Stiffener Recomendations?

67GTA

On 11/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, GB_Amateur said:

I've put the silicone spray lubricant on the X-Terra washers and installed the newer (thicker) ones on my shaft to accomodate the Equinox coil(s).  The fit so far is snug but I didn't have to force the coil ears over the washered shaft end.  I'll be going detecting tomorrow so I'll see how well the assembly grips -- i.e. how easy/difficult it is to change the coil angle.

Worked like a charm so far.  In standard operating mode the coil angle is easy to change but doesn't do so without my intent.  When I lay the detector down it does flatten, but that doesn't bother me one bit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

it does seem more of an issue for water hunters. 

...not in my case, beach hunt only but no surf, or in water. Took every precaution including detect-ed washers. I noticed the stock washers were so thin the shaft end rubbed on the ears. They would make the coil creak due to the plastic to plastic rubbing. Thought the thicker detect-ed washers would protect it. After it broke yesterday, when I disassembled the coil from the shaft I noticed grains of white sand between the washers and coil ear bearing surfaces which were scored. Maybe i should have been taking these apart and cleaning them. Don't think silicone and sand would help in my case. 

The white areas are wear. So spraying the bolt might help reduce scoring and scraping. The edges of the coil ear are white and may have been cracked before breaking.  Man this is all over the place! 

• Like 1

FS,

We are not doing anything wrong with our coils! It's a poor design, and/or the poor choice of recipe for their thermoplastic! In a nutshell, the coil ears are too thin and brittle! I'd much rather have the tab's reversed, like the AQ Ltd.! Makes for a much beefier design option!👍👍

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Joe D. said:

FS,

We are not doing anything wrong with our coils! It's a poor design, and/or the poor choice of recipe for their thermoplastic! In a nutshell, the coil ears are too thin and brittle! I'd much rather have the tab's reversed, like the AQ Ltd.! Makes for a much beefier design option!👍👍

True, but 'they' are not going to fix it. My coil is enroute to ML for hopefully replacement. And I want to keep hunting, so I don't mind being proactive a little bit. You make all good points. regards

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, GB_Amateur said:

So if my measurements are anywhere near correct, both manufacturing tolerance (Equinox washers) and usage wear (X-Terra washers in particular) come into play.

I can see wear between the washers - the whitish areas. Also across the break point. And look in the holes that accept the bolt. So may be a combination of things.

7BF5C0C0-84EC-457E-83AB-6704D0018A01_1_201_a.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

I can see wear between the washers - the whitish areas. Also across the break point. And look in the holes that accept the bolt. So may be a combination of things.

7BF5C0C0-84EC-457E-83AB-6704D0018A01_1_201_a.jpeg

From the looks of this, for the wear to be the cause of the breaking, the fracture would have to follow the arc that is scored in the plastic. It did not; it snapped perpendicular to the possible weak spots. While there is stress that causes the failure, it seems likely that it has more to do with the composition of the plastic, IMHO. 

• Like 3

That's exactly how both of mine broke! Too brittle of a formulation for sure! Need's some Kevlar strands in the mix, or something!👍👍

• Like 2