A Bling Detector

I think at one time McDonalds gave a nickel to a charity for every pull ring turned in, think they would go broke if they still do that hahah.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Do you know your pull tab to gold ratio?Good job on the bling.

This year anyway it is 5 gold rings per bag of pull tabs......... so far.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, kac said:

I think at one time McDonalds gave a nickel to a charity for every pull ring turned in, think they would go broke if they still do that hahah.

I wish McDonalds still did that.........the same way I wish I could sell all of my copper memorial pennies for 2.6 cents each. I will keep saving both for now.

I think we are too small a group for any one to make something just for us.   Most folks think like RickUK, and most Design Engineers have this thought in their head that any good relic hunter is all that is needed for a jewelry hunter that goes off the beach.   In the mean time you are expected to have this dig it all mentality to be successful.  

HH
Mike

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kac said:

Are you referring to the Ronald McDonald's House (Charity) Organization nationwide campaign?  Don't get me started.  (Oops, too late.)  I respect their charity efforts but they encourage littering with this program, and we park and school detectorists are all too familiar with the result.  Why not rather collect the entire can?  More aluminum to be converted to cash and way less littering.

My wife's aunt has an empty lot attached to her property where her home is located.  Next to that lot is a Wendy's (fast food restaurant for those not familiar).  Every few months I collect the trash that has blown in there.  I figured most of the trash would have Wendy's logo but McDonalds wins in a landslide.  These companies (many of them and not just fast food) are happy to sell products in throw-away containers with their advertising all over them yet seem to take *zero* responsibility for the littering that results.  Great stewards, aren't they?  (OK, I'm stepping down from my soapbox now.)

• Like 6

• The title was changed to A Bling Detector
On 10/31/2020 at 10:55 PM, kac said:

That's actually a false but pervasive urban legend/myth with many variations including the one you cite:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pull-tab-recycling-dialysis/

But because the myth was so pervasive, charities such as Ronald McDonald house accept the massive donations of tabs they continuously receive anyway (and as you can see from Chuck's link above some even promote it) and turn them over to recycling centers.  A van full of tabs gets them about $50 minus the labor and gas needed to load and transport them.  Definitely not a significant moneymaker for them but since the tabs keep getting donated, they don't turn them away.

So Jeff, keep going and fill that truck up with the tab baggies so you can get your check from the recycling center.  :smile:

• Like 3

Gold machines do work well for jewelry. They will pick up on the smaller ear rings where those targets can be difficult or impossible to detect on lower frequency machines. They will put copper alloys, copper and silver much higher in the TID scale and have a wider range of numbers in the low conductor range such as lead, aluminum and gold.

Just don't expect to be using the usual 3 tone hunting and discrimination on the machines are typcially only bottom down without notching. This can be a drawback for those that hit high trash areas as you need to investigate every target.

Lastly the tiniest targets are loud, your sense of target size is very different as a quarter can sound like a can, even zinc pennies can scream at you.

4 hours ago, kac said:

Gold machines do work well for jewelry. They will pick up on the smaller ear rings where those targets can be difficult or impossible to detect on lower frequency machines. They will put copper alloys, copper and silver much higher in the TID scale and have a wider range of numbers in the low conductor range such as lead, aluminum and gold.

Just don't expect to be using the usual 3 tone hunting and discrimination on the machines are typcially only bottom down without notching. This can be a drawback for those that hit high trash areas as you need to investigate every target.

There are two VLFs currently made for hunting gold nuggets and gold jewelry that do not do what you are describing. Their numerical and tonal target IDs remain constant throughout the full depth of detection even on gold jewelry.

And what are the 2 detectors. 24k/GMX & Gold Monster?

Nope.