A Bling Detector

......Equinox and Vanquish......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Nope.

Hi Jeff.  I always enjoy your  input on things. Where and why do you like to use your Vanquish since you also have the  Nox. Would you say the 7by10 coil on the Vanquish helps make your decision when going for basic targets(THE many gold and coin signals you  get in schools plus parks)?

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words Dances with Doves. I like your name by the way. Mine by contrast would be "Stumbles over Canadian geese and lands in their poop while detecting"

I have owned all three Vanquish models and both Equinox models. (Somewhere on here I said I have a contact in the storage unit auction business. I get like new detectors from them at half price or less sometimes, test them to make sure they are working and then donate or sell them).

First, the Vanquish are great detectors. I especially like any of them with the 10" coil which will separate targets fairly well, unmask fairly well, feels just right to me anyway weight wise, and most of all will hit coin sized targets with accurate tones and numerical target IDs beyond 10" deep if the target is by itself. The Vanquish is still a beginner to upper entry level detector however and where it suffers is in heavy aluminum and iron near surface trash. I would take an Equinox 600 over any Vanquish model if I had some serious detecting in mind.

So, to answer your question the Vanquish is the perfect beginner, loaner or casual hunter's detector that is great for not too trashy parks, school grounds, playgrounds, tot lots, sand areas and beaches of any kind and it would work okay in open fields that weren't too trashy. If it can detect a single target it will give you great information. It can stumble on co-located targets like coin spills. It is a killer crown bottle cap detector and I mean that in a good way. The 440 and 540 have customizable notching which is great for a gold jewelry hunter. Any detectable gold and silver jewelry or coin along with non-ferrous relics will sound really good and have solid numbers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Thank you for the kind words Dances with Doves. I like your name by the way. Mine by contrast would be "Stumbles over Canadian geese and lands in their poop while detecting"

I have owned all three Vanquish models and both Equinox models. (Somewhere on here I said I have a contact in the storage unit auction business. I get like new detectors from them at half price or less sometimes, test them to make sure they are working and then donate or sell them).

First, the Vanquish are great detectors. I especially like any of them with the 10" coil which will separate targets fairly well, unmask fairly well, feels just right to me anyway weight wise, and most of all will hit coin sized targets with accurate tones and numerical target IDs beyond 10" deep if the target is by itself. The Vanquish is still a beginner to upper entry level detector however and where it suffers is in heavy aluminum and iron near surface trash. I would take an Equinox 600 over any Vanquish model if I had some serious detecting in mind.

So, to answer your question the Vanquish is the perfect beginner, loaner or casual hunter's detector that is great for not too trashy parks, school grounds, playgrounds, tot lots, sand areas and beaches of any kind and it would work okay in open fields that weren't too trashy. If it can detect a single target it will give you great information. It can stumble on co-located targets like coin spills. It is a killer crown bottle cap detector and I mean that in a good way. The 440 and 540 have customizable notching which is great for a gold jewelry hunter. Any detectable gold and silver jewelry or coin along with non-ferrous relics will sound really good and have solid numbers.

i was hunting a pounded old school along a  small hill at the fence line between the  houses when  I noticed a small dove about 20 yards away.I got any iffy hit and dug a Barber dime which shocked me because i  have not found a good coin in this section in a long time so I did a  little dance and the dove was dancing with me.I would go to the left and he would go to the right.I would go right and he would go to left.We kept this up for 40 minutes when the dimming light finally   sent him off.I thought that was  odd as doves usually take off right away  when you are near them but not this little guy.My metal detecting name is because of this little care free dove.

7 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Nope.

Hi Jeff.  I always enjoy your  input on things. Where and why do you like to use your Vanquish since you also have the  Nox. Would you say the 7by10 coil on the Vanquish helps make your decision when going for basic targets(THE many gold and coin signals you  get in schools plus parks)?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

There are two VLFs currently made for hunting gold nuggets and gold jewelry that do not do what you are describing. Their numerical and tonal target IDs remain constant throughout the full depth of detection even on gold jewelry.

Not sure if I am following you on that. Which machines are you refering too? I can only speak on the one gold machine I have.

14 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

......Equinox and Vanquish......