Best Ground Balance For GPX 5000 - Coin / Relic Timing

Guest Paul (Ca)

Here's my setup for trashy areas, the smaller coil is great peeking between iron smaller footprint. Thus reducing masking can lock on weaker signals between masking larger coils will miss.

Plus, because of the smaller footprint can increase Gain out in open areas picking up some of the depth loss from a small coil. As small as this coil is, Still deeper than the larger VLF coils for my area.

Also, using a Deus shaft allowing the detector to collapse down.

HH, Paul

2rf7ptx.jpg

I have used the coin/relic timings with some success on the beaches in Oregon.

In two days of detecting I dug 3 copper ship rivets and one silver quarter. Plus about 125 pennies and clad coins. It also loves aluminum.

One large rivet was about 30 inches deep and the quarter was at 15 inches.

I also used the stock DD coil and set the discriminator on full. Without digging everything I have no idea how well it was working.

I have tried this timing elsewhere around old homesteads but the ground was just to mineralized to run it. So I use the Normal timings and have done well with it looking for coins/relics. In this case you will need to use a small DD coil to navigate around the trash.

I don't believe I have used the coin/relic timings enough to give much of a report no it. But I would use it again in low mineralized areas looking for coins and such.

Root

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Root for sharing you've used the Relic Coin feature, that's great appears we have places on the West Coast were we can use the Relic/Coin timing feature.

Steve, Before my GPX 5000 arrived when I first bought the PI. Did allot of research and found many GPX 5000 users could not use Relic/Coin timing, Daniel from TN even mentioned to me he couldn't use Coin/Relic and he's a relic hunter, so I was prepared Coin/Relic would not work here on the West Coast.

However, I was able to use Relic/Coin and with no issues. Apparently, Some of my Relic sites allow Relic/Coin timing when soil conditions are right, a couple of times couldn't use Relic/Coin timing with larger coils after a hard rain... Rain effected the mineralization, but with the smaller elliptical DD or in some cases could use the 11" DD in Relic/Coin timing.

This past weekend, my GPX with the Detech 15" or stock 11" DD couldn't use Relic/Coin timing. The mineralized clay ground was wet from rain and even though the ground was not saturated with water it was moist, but the smaller elliptical DD coil would work in this moist adobe like soil.

I worked the areas away from iron with the GPX, for maximum depth the GPX is my deepest detector in mineralized ground. Then up in the areas of thick iron use my Blisstool V6 that is one mean VLF for my type of hunting but because of the mineralization use Ore mode which increases the recovery speed on the V6. No other Blisstool model has this feature.

As I was calling it a day, about 30" feet away from my car picked up a rare NYL button. These are extremely rare and depending on condition are a $400 plus button, would never sell it and auctally this is my second NYL button in my career gave my first to a button collector friend.

So we do have some areas we can use Relic/Coin timing, but with proper size coil and when ground conditions allow.

Appreciate yours, Roots and everyone's informative GPX tips. I know everyone here is more into nugget hunting, But I still learn allot from visiting and reading this informative forum.

Thanks,

Paul

I have nugget hunted areas that in retrospect may have been mild enough for Coin/Relic, but I am afraid I just kind of gave up on trying it very early on. Which illustrates well the bad habits one can fall into after awhile of not experimenting enough. Good info, thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (Ca)

Here's an update with using Relic/Coin timing, found today's quick hunt surprising.

Was out this evening to try out the Hipstick with the Detech 15" DD Sprial, waited all day for delivery and finally around 3pm the Hipstick arrives.

At the site, was able to operate Relic/Coin timing with a Gain of 20 using the 15" DD Sprial, was extremely smooth banged out all my test bed coins at the Relic site....I've never been able to operate larger coils with 20 Gain, not sure if the Sprial 15" DD was the reason but it was so smooth and deep, and the Hipstick is remarkable and works well with the Deus shaft. Chris Porter did a great job getting me sized and shipped it out that same day.

The dirt at this particular site is slightly mineralized, luckily my GPX 5000 can operate with Relic/Coin timing in my area.

Amazing PI, every outing the GPX 5000 surprises me. Now, With operating with Gain 20 and using Relic/Coin timing coupled with the 15" DD Sprial will need to bury deeper coins at the test bed.

Those of you in the west coast, try Relic/Coin timing think you're going to be surprised some areas will operate with this timing.

HH, Paul

fmunah.jpg

• The title was changed to Best Ground Balance For GPX 5000 - Coin / Relic Timing