What Do You Use To Probe & Pop Coins And Jewelry?

I've been using a Coin Popper for close to 35 years.  The overall length is 12".  See center of photo. They were advertised in the old Western Eastern Treasures Magazine.  I had two.  One was lost.  I had to replace the wooden handle / grip a little over 20 years ago with a custom made nylon grip.  The lazy S shape of the shaft is key to easy probing and target removal.  

In conjunction with my Pro Pointer AT, i can recover items in the first 3" +-  very easily, if the electronic pin pointer can reach it.  If I get deeper than that in grass maintained areas like the yard of an old home or a park, I prefer to cut a plug.  On occasion the circumstances may require No Plugs in which case I will pin point as best I can and probe for the target. Like Mike mentioned above, "touch" is important.  If the target is located in the first 3 inches, i can slip the end of the probe under the edge and lever the item up and out. Very quick and easy. If deeper, I can cut a slit above the target with my lesche, slip the end of the probe under the edge of the target and lever the item and some dirt up through the slit. Think of a baked potato.  Once removed, any dirt is pressed back into the slit and the slit is pressed closed. Brush up the grass and it is very difficult to tell anybody has been there. 

I've modified many, many screwdrivers of various shaft shapes and lengths. I have brass probes (that bend easily) .  No contest that this Coin Popper has worked the best for me.   I do like keeping an old screwdriver (8-10") in the car / truck if the off season (winter) just for testing ground, whether it is frozen solid and not.   A quick poke with the screwdriver reveals if I can cut a plug for deeper targets. 

Rich - 

Tool Belt.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of this poppin' thing and got my first gold ring and two silver rings a couple of days ago! The silvers were about 15 feet apart and 5-6 inches down, the 14K white gold ring was just under the grass layer about 2 inches down.

Poppin-Good.JPEG

• Like 2