Really !!!!! Digging For Gold Nuggets Is This Easy?

Happa54

On 10/31/2020 at 10:55 AM, Chet said:

If it was so easy with a metal detector then many in the Philippines would not be mining in deep mudholes such as in the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8psB-o-er5k

Thanks for sharing, Chet. It's terrible to see young kids, including small children, work under these circumstances. I will remember this clip the next time I feel like complaining about digging up a bullet with a 8k detector....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happa54, that will be an awesome trip!   I took a White's machine to the Philippines back in 1998 for my father-in-law and had fun with it, although didn't have enough time to detect much. We did go to a WWII B-24 bomber crash site in Mindanao, though, and found a lot of parts where the engines cratered in (practically surface finds in a field of debris, so no real detecting skills necessary).  I've been back quite a few times since visiting my wife's family, but haven't brought a detector due to time constraints, carrying too much other stuff, traveling with a child, etc.  Now that I have an Equinox it's tempting to think about the next time I go back, whenever that will be.   Nice thing about the White's machine (can't remember if it was an XLT or what) is that it came with a hard plastic carrying case that was not very big and a great size for overhead carry-on bins on the long flight over...  don't know what's available for the Equinox.

I've never detected for nuggets anywhere and am not familiar with the kinds of ground and conditions they are in, but the video does look dubious... if it were that easy, people would be hitting that like crazy and using the proceeds to buy detectors to employ their relatives.   As others have pointed out here, the Philippines has no lack of gold, as evidenced by a lot of the geographical names with derivatives of "oro", and gold is known to have been found on pretty much all of the major Philippine islands, but researching the facts/hard data of finds and claims would have to be done.  As you probably already know assuming that you have family or friends there, just like here in the US the local lore can be hit or miss, and the sales hype for tourists ("Yamashita's gold") is ever present.     All of that said, I think you'll have a lot of fun with your Equinox if you have family and/or friends to accompany you on your excursions and steer you in the right direction both in terms of possible good candidate areas to check out as well as current conditions of safety and security.   

• 2 weeks later...

Good info FH, and thanx for comments everyone. I knew the vid was far fetched but I didn't say what I really feel about it....but, it's typical of a lot of things originating from the Philippines. If and when their Covid lockdown is cancelled (and that could be another year), I'll head there and check out post WW11 bases and battlegrounds for relics and coins...not interested in the gold stories. I'll definately setup a YT channel to vid my finds. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here is some real research for your trip.  Did you make it there?

https://mb.com.ph/2022/05/23/trails-of-gold/