Garrett AT Gold Review

I see Nel sells coils for each of the AT series individually but Garrett specs have all AT series coils are compatible between machines. So... if there is a super fly for the AT Pro but not the Gold will the Pro one work on the Gold?

I have tested my Nel Big on the AT Pro and it worked fine on the AT Max.

I can’t totally answer your question. All I can say is that I got my new Nel Super Fly coil for the AT Gold today. The coil itself is labeled AT Gold. If Nel optimized this coil for the AT Gold.....Great. Would it work on a different AT Series detector, I have no clue. All I can say so far is it has more accurate target IDs than the Garrett 8X5” coil which is a great coil and feels lighter than the 8.5X11” Garrett stock coil.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I am also disappointed Garrett didn't learn how to put volume control on their detectors even by the time they made the AT Gold, insanity at it's finest.

Half of my detectors have no volume control.  That's not to defend them or Garrett, just to say it seems to be a common malady.  Fortunately in my case, for those detectors I use the Garrett Z-lynk ('wireless') tranmitter-receiver pair in front of my headphones.  It has a built-in adjustable amplifier.  I realize that doesn't solve your problem since you like to run your detector through its speaker, not headphones.  (nonconformist!  😁)

• Like 2

I believe the AT series shipped with the MS2 headphones which have the volume control as a package though it would be nice to have it on the machines too for those that don't want to wear headphones. I like the volume control on the detector better, find it easier than fumbling for a knob on your head with gloves on.

• Like 1

Your volume control on detectors without one, is a vinyl decal over the speaker, and a weatherproof cover over the control unit! That should lower the volume sufficiently! 👍👍

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kac said:

I believe the AT series shipped with the MS2 headphones which have the volume control as a package...

Most headphones' (including the Garrett MS2s) volume control only works one way -- to turn down the volume amplitude.

• Like 1

The AT Max has a volume control, 0-8. The proportional audio that helps gage depth/size is best heard with the Master volume at max 8. The MS 3 headphones have a single knob volume control to set a comfortable volume for the user & conditions. I wish the Max had Iron volume, the new Apex has both overall volume & iron volume. That tells me Garrett is listening to the detecting community and paying attention to it's competitors, I am looking forward to the AT version of the Apex concept. 

• Like 3

I had a pair of the Garrett Stow Aways with the volume control on the wire, really bad place as the switch worked its way to off when I was swinging my Tejon and thought the batteries were dead. I run that machine really quiet so didn't know whent it nudged its way down. Went home to recharge the batteries and they only took a few minutes not 2 hours. Thinking something was wrong I put the batteries back in and checked it to realize the mistake. Fixed that by putting a piece of electrical tape over the switch.

The wire shielding finally started to break at the switch so I retired them and got a pair of MS-2's. So why would they ship the Stow Aways with the AT Gold? I would think better headphones would be the choice especially for a gold detector. Others sound ok and are not bad in the sun but sound quality isn't there.