Quick Coil Changes

For those that have extra coils, do you just get an extra lower shaft?  

Or would it make sense to have lower and a middle shaft as well so that length can already be set and you have all of your coil wraps already there? 

I also thought about a second full shaft and using one of those 3D printed pod quick connects but they don’t seem durable and it adds to the cost of for the extra convenience...

Thanks 

I went with both lower & middle shafts.  Since I store the detector with the top shaft separated from the middle one it makes it easy to pick which one I will be using or to switch to another one.

• Like 2

I bought the coil and lower shaft at the same time and then ordered a middle shaft from Minelab Detector Center in PA for $19.86 + $10 shipping in March 2019.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 8:30 PM, Joel said:

I went with both lower & middle shafts.  Since I store the detector with the top shaft separated from the middle one it makes it easy to pick which one I will be using or to switch to another one.

I like this idea better than just the lower after looking at the detector hanging on wall and swapping the coil a couple of times. 

I’m hoping to have a whole separate equinox 600 so 

I can have one for the 11” coil and one for the 6” coil. Not hard to find good deals on used machines. Swapping out coils can never be simple enough for me. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:30 AM, relicmeister said:

I’m hoping to have a whole separate equinox 600 so 

I can have one for the 11” coil and one for the 6” coil. Not hard to find good deals on used machines. Swapping out coils can never be simple enough for me. 

I’ve thought about this as well but just seems overkill for my needs. Plus the Equinox still seems to hold its value. If I was really committed to the Equinox only and drove long distances where having a failure might ruin your trip, I would probably go this route and sell my other detectors. 

My 600 has carbon fiber shaft and “ fold and go” on it to have it fold in half to 24” long and fits in a tennis racket bag turned into a backpack( I detect woods mostly and don’t want to carry the detector ).  I Just slso bought the carbon fiber telescoping camera monopole that Steve H. Modded to be the shaft for his equinox. It’s made well enough that it could carry the 11” coil but for the 6” coil it would be extremely light and compact. I’m looking to get a second used 600 for this, and having either coil size ready to go is appealing. It’s worth it if I find a good deal on a used. You’re right that they do hold their value. The equinox is a powerhouse but not used to full potential if you don’t use both 6” and 11” coils as detecting situation dictates. 

• Like 1