Quick Coil Changes

Got my 2nd Equinox 600 only took usps a month 

got a good deal used with 6” coil included. 

I’m going to mount this one with 6” on CF collapsible monopole but I had also ordered the $49 s-shaft made in Ukraine. Despite crappy lower shaft it’s nice. Light as a feather with shiny black enamel. I switched the lower shaft for a better one. It separates easily into two equal halves si it fits in a small bag. 

14 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Got my 2nd Equinox 600 only took usps a month 

got a good deal used with 6” coil included. 

I’m going to mount this one with 6” on CF collapsible monopole but I had also ordered the $49 s-shaft made in Ukraine. Despite crappy lower shaft it’s nice. Light as a feather with shiny black enamel. I switched the lower shaft for a better one. It separates easily into two equal halves si it fits in a small bag. 

I wondered about those eBay s-shafts as an option with the 11” to see if it would be better balanced for me. That stinks the lowers are no good. 

On 11/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, nickeldNdimed said:

I wondered about those eBay s-shafts as an option with the 11” to see if it would be better balanced for me. That stinks the lowers are no good. 

IMO it is a worthwhile Idea other than the lower which you can change. If you add a counterweight to the shaft end, and with the s-shaft ergonomic improvement, it will indeed swing with the feel of an f75, but lighter still. I switched out the double spring clip at the upper to middle rod exchange to a single and taped two elastic strips so when I separate the halves it keeps sort of together and the coil wire is also zip tied to each shaft in such a way as to leave just enough slack for allowing separation and reattachment neatly. 

• Like 1

As well as the s-shaft was working I’ve now done the Steve H. Monopole conversion. Funny, it took only an hour start to finish, although I want to do something more permanent with the pod attachment which is now just 2 overlapping large zip ties and electrical tape. It’s strong and looks fine but I can do better- possibly with folding capability. I was surprised in attaching the lower stem. I cut most of the last rod of the monopole off with a hacksaw and the stock equinox lower rod down to 4” length, and it snugly fits together quite nicely, needing only a band of tape   For the 6” coil To keep it from rotating ( but I’d use something stronger advised for the 11” coil) The stock armrest was easy - I used only the upper part and drilled 4 holes in the corners and ran 8” zip ties around the uppermost monopole rod. It’s good enough as is to call it done, but I’ll probably refine some things as I think of them.  

• 3 months later...

Well finally decided just to buy a whole new Minelab shaft so I could use both middle and lower on my 6”. Short of having two Equinoxes with each coil mounted, this should be about as easy as it gets and make my choice to swap to 6” more often easier at home or in the field. Or when I need to rest my arm and shoulder from the nose heavy 11”. 

One on the 11” may eventually get modded into an s-shaft for better ergo hopefully. 

Fresh washers on original lower, fresh screen protector, and washed mud off the cover.  Ready for warmer weather. 

FA1D2D04-A97B-4104-9CB4-602A7BD03841.jpeg

E12E0404-991F-4A40-9667-EAD351403E95.jpeg

• Like 1