What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?

Redneck

Winter will be  starting to set in soon, and cabin fever will soon be running rampant ,  time to think about the next dream machine from Minelab.

What improvements would you like to see over the Nox 800?  Preformance is always a biggie.

More depth, more Stable ID at that depth.  

Wider numerical ID system, 0-100.   

Better selection of optional size coils.

Or, maybe an etrac or explorer features in the nox liteweight  style? 

Adjustable handgrip  pod.

EMI  elimination system.

If you request it, maybe they will build it. 😁

• Like 1

They need to move the battery from the handle to under the arm cuff for better balance when using and carrying, and maybe give it an S-rod instead of a straight rod for the same reason. A drop-in battery might be nice too.

I'm happy with everything on the screen. The only thing I might add is a true all metal option for all the modes instead of just Gold mode.

Improved locking mechanisms on the rod pieces and thicker/stronger coil ears. A coil attachment that stays tight without having to overtighten the bolt.

A more hydrodynamic coil for water hunters that has less drag through the water.

• Like 5

I am extremely happy with the Equinox 800. Asking for improvements is almost like tempting fate.

Threshold based all metal mode on a simultaneous multi frequency detector may be impossible. The Gold modes are already pretty incredible.

However, like phrunt, I would love to have a 10X5" or so coil.

I would also like to see the side buttons moved to the control panel.

I would like to be able to move forward and back with modes and other settings instead of having to scroll all the way through the menu.

I would like more user profile slots.

Better stock Bluetooth wireless headphones. The ML80s sound muffled and very bass heavy to me.

I have already upgraded the shafts so keep the cost down and let that be the users choice. 

• Like 2

Backlit controls, red adjustable backlight, 2.4gHz headphones, s-bend shaft with internally routed coil cable, improvement on tones to give a greater perception of target depth, more coil choices or allow a licensed third party to produce additional coils.  

One glaring omission is an integrated system allowing both wireless headphones and wireless pinpointer to be used with the Nox, much like that on the Deus and Nokta/Makro detectors.  Hopefully Minelab can release a new pinpointer in the future to allow this, though the current usage of Bluetooth may be holding this back (hence why I mentioned about sticking with 2.4gHz).  Hell, even the Simplex has this capability at a much lower pricepoint.

• Like 2

Would be nice if they introduced menu items and modes back and forth buttons, bit annoying to loop through all modes and menus to come back to adjacent items. Say, to do Noise Cancel after GB needs lots of button clicking.

S-shaft or off-center coil ears, and stronger ears too.

Make more user friendly adjustable items scaling and ranges. Say, volume, sensitivity, etc, 0-10 (or 100), not 0-25. Who actually detects with sensitivity 0-10, why have this range at all.

Perhaps have some sort of accelerometer to detect when detector is still (say, on the ground) while user is dealing with the find or locating an item, so it doesn't chatter or scream in PP mode during that time. Maybe reduce emissions and reception too during still time, to save battery, etc.

• Like 1

1. True waterproof capability

2. Reposition side buttons to the face of the control box

3. Stronger coil ears

4. More substantial arm cuff

5. Contract with Steve Goss to design their shafts! 👍 🙂

• Like 5

I also want a red backlight.

Not including headphones with the detector would be a nice improvement.

• Like 1

I see some caution/warnings in responses which I assume result from previous experience where 'improvements' took away performance.  I think everything I'd like to see has already been said, but I'll give my independent opinions, kinda like survey results.  In order of importance to me:

1) A moderately sized (e.g. 5"x10" or 6"x10") closed eliptical coil option (keeping the 11" open round as stock is fine with me).

2) Move the User Profile button to the front panel.

3) Include/allow more User Profile memory slots.  (Total of 3 or 4 would be nice!)

Although I don't really know how things work in detail, I think only #2 even involves a physical change to the 600/800; the other two are either external (new coil) or software (multiple user profiles).  However, if there are 'real estate' issues with overcrowding the front panel then give the user some leeway in choosing/changing the meaning of front panel buttons.  Right now, for example, the only time I use the horseshoe (exception -- when I can get into hot rock laden gold bearing ground) is to open up all TID slots when I turn on the detector.  (Why is default notching 'on'?  Oh well, I've learned to live with that.)  I use the Profile button about a 100 times more often (I'm not exaggerating) than the operating frequency change button.

Of course we'd all like to see improvements to performance such as even better target separation and tighter digital TID accuracy -- the two combined leading to better unmasking.  I also could list several ergonomic 'nicities' but the three requested improvements I've listed are things I can't do myself.