What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?

Redneck

#1 better balance.  Being light is not such an advantage when the detector is so nose heavy.  Maybe move the battery to under the arm cuff or short of that, enable the installation of counterweights that could be attached under the arm cuff.  My CTX 3030 is much more comfortable to swing than the Equinox.  Despite the extra weight, the balance on the CTX is almost perfect, which makes all the difference for comfort.

#2 extra coils.  The ones I’d really like to see are a 6x10 elliptical and a 7” round.

#3 true all metal mode with true threshold

As good as the Equinox is, I sold mine because I couldn’t stand the nose heavy balance and didn’t want to deal with the hassle or expense of aftermarket rods and weights.  Seems this is the most common complaint and begs for improvement.  As soon as Minelab comes out with the improved Equinox, I’ll be the first one in line to buy it.

• Like 3

1) 5x10 "or 6x10" elliptical coil.
2) collapsible rod.
3) remove the mechanical buttons, only skin buttons.
4) make it really underwater, then ... solve the problems of water infiltrations.

• Like 1

There's weight, then there's balance, then there's how sturdy the arm cuff is, the angle of the handle, the position of the coil ears etc etc......all combined determine how "nice" it is to swing a detector for extended periods. All those elements combined I refer to as Swing Dynamics. 

In no particular order here's the units with the best Swing Dynamics for me

• CTX3030 
  • Anfibio
  • Impact with 9x5 coil
  • Vanquish 440  
  • Racer (particularly with any of the smaller coils) 

X-Terra would be No.1 if the middle shaft was slightly shorter and hand grip was a little softer. Something about that shaft that makes the coil stay parallel to the ground even on a wide swing. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

My understanding is the reason coin and relic mode is so deep is because ground balance is disabled which is why it only works in mild soils/beaches where the ground doesn't matter, PI's that you can disable ground balance get a huge depth increase over ground balanced detectors, so by it's very nature they can't improve that mode's soil handling without adding ground balance to it.   The only way they'd be able to do your request would be to improve their ground balanced soil handling which would be fantastic for prospectors too 🙂

I didn't realize that GB was disabled. So I guess I am asking them to get better ground balancing 😄 Seriously, coin / relic goes real deep for me on the beach. I would love that same depth in the woods when I do my metal detecting survey of old 17th century villages.

What about something that tells a newbie to slow down their swing of the unit or to speed it up if they are to slow.

I think the 800 has every feature covered except that.

Since I am talking about myself and I am learning this unit, something like that would be very helpful to me so I don't miss anything.

All I need is a faster CTX 3030 with built in wireless capabilities and maybe make the battery seal a little better... then look out!

strick 

• Like 1

I’m ready to buy a new flagship coin detector as soon as it comes out.  Minelab, Nokta, and Garrett/Whites are all due for a new flagship release.  I’ll probably wait until all three have their new model out to choose which one, but based on my experience with all three manufacturers, I’ll likely go with the new replacement CTX 3030 model. That is, unless the Equinox 1000 that comes out incorporating enough of these good suggestions in this thread and then I’ll jump on the new Equinox instead.  

For the time being, my V3i is doing just fine and nothing impresses me enough to make a switch.

We've been waiting a loooong time for the next generation of flagships to be released, and I've got my fingers crossed they'll be worth the wait.  

• Like 1

I would like to see a "smart detector".  One that becomes more intelligent the more you use it.  Collecting data about each target and using an algorithm for a more accurate ID.  

Soil condition, reactive signal,  resistive or loss component, shape and strength of the  eddy current are just some of the factors that determine the ID of an object. 

These could be captured and after digging up the target, the user would input what the target was.  Perhaps a secondary number like the ctx 3030 would then display what the target would be based on past targets.

The machine would become "smarter" the more it is used. 

I'm not asking for too much am I? 😝

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevejhgla said:

The machine would become "smarter" the more it is used.

I'm not asking for too much am I? 😝

That kind of artificial intelligence is doable today, although the R&D cost might be an issue given the limited market.  (Metal detectors don't have the distribution volume of smartphones....)

Maybe doing this in steps over the next few years is more reasonable.  White's certainly was headed in the right direction for many years providing visual information to aid our brains.  ML has done some, too.  Much of that direction seems to have gone stale, though, from my viewing angle, anyway.

• Like 2