What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?

Redneck

• 5 weeks later...

On the current Eqx, the pip-locating holes on the middle shaft are spaced 40mm apart, which I think is too far, and a spacing of about 30mm would be better if the new machines share this shaft style.

Unrelated: Some people obviously like the XP GMP / Deus style of audio, which I understand has also been 'replicated' on other machines, possibly the DeepTech Vista? . A sort of all-metal with rolling tone-ID changes, leaving the user to make the decisions re: dig/no-dig. It would be worth ML considering this as an audio option on future machines. I'm certain it's achievable in single-freq mode, but in 'Multi', I've no idea.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:00 PM, phrunt said:

The Equinox isn't a coin detector, it's an everything detector and I want it to stay that way.  The Gold modes are fantastic for prospecting and the coin modes work a treat too.  A real all round detector.

Couldn't agree more 👍

What I want improved is more coils, especially elliptical coils, and solid 10x5" and 6.5x3.5" coils would be nice.  Stronger coil ears seem to be something necessary from reports of water hunters.

Elliptical closed loop coils would be a tremendous help for relic hunters, who frequently are working through heavy brush and what not. 

Removing the side buttons and putting them in finger/thumb reach.

Absolutely, the side buttons seem fragile and are not tactile either.  Let's add in a better solution for the pinpoint button as well.  A trigger would be the perfect solution IMHO. Once you've used a detector with a good PP trigger switch, all others will feel inferior.  The trigger switch just becomes an extension of your hand, it's so convenient.

Having the red back light like the Vanquish would be good, I stand out like dogs nuts with the existing back light.

YES YES YES! Not only does the current back light stick out, but red back lights are very easy on the eyes, that's why the military uses them.  Also the level of adjustability on the EQX for the backlight is NOT great, the Nokta machines have like five levels, so you can at least set it very low.  Also if you're hunting in a really dark location, a non-red backlight is blinding to the operator.  PLEASE BRING ON THE RED BACKLIGHT!

Having a better stronger shaft, a carbon shaft like the aftermarket ones would be good, and one that can extend and shrink would be handy, I think the Vanquish has a nicer shaft than the Equinox.

Yep a telescoping carbon rod system would be great.  I think the one that comes with the Golden Mask detectors is a good example. 

I'm honestly struggling to think of anything else I'd want improved, I wouldn't mind a higher single frequency like a 60 or so KHz just to give it that little extra boost if tiny gold hunting but it's not overly necessary.

This would aid relic hunters in unmasking or bad mineralization as well.

At the moment I'm just happy using the Nox how it is, the biggest issue i have is lack of coil options as I do love a good range of coils and Minelab don't like to provide that or make it possible for the aftermarket guys to do it.

I agree, sure it could be improved, but the damn thing just works.  I've had more fun with the Equinox then any other detector I've used, and it brings home the finds.  My EQX800 has easily paid for itself at least 20 fold.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:30 AM, Goldpick said:

One glaring omission is an integrated system allowing both wireless headphones and wireless pinpointer to be used with the Nox, much like that on the Deus and Nokta/Makro detectors.  Hopefully Minelab can release a new pinpointer in the future to allow this, though the current usage of Bluetooth may be holding this back (hence why I mentioned about sticking with 2.4gHz).  Hell, even the Simplex has this capability at a much lower pricepoint.

I agree, I think Minelab missed an opportunity here, an integrated wireless pinpointer that used the audio of the EQX would sell like hotcakes!  There's a reason some of the FBS users are holding back and one is the inline probes. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 5:07 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

I didn't realize that GB was disabled. So I guess I am asking them to get better ground balancing 😄 Seriously, coin / relic goes real deep for me on the beach. I would love that same depth in the woods when I do my metal detecting survey of old 17th century villages.

I'd be curious to know the source of this information (GB disabled)?

That's not what the EQX manual states, it says it's constantly receiving ground feedback with M-IQ to adjust for ground conditions.  For me, that's worked so well that I rarely do a ground balance, except for the most mineralized ground. 

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I'd be curious to know the source of this information (GB disabled)?

That's not what the EQX manual states, it says it's constantly receiving ground feedback with M-IQ to adjust for ground conditions.  For me, that's worked so well that I rarely do a ground balance, except for the most mineralized ground. 

That was when I was talking about the GPX 5000. I think it was Simon that said the GPX ground balance is disabled when using Coin/Relic, so when I was ground balancing, I wasn't really doing anything 😄 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:48 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

That was when I was talking about the GPX 5000. I think it was Simon that said the GPX ground balance is disabled when using Coin/Relic, so when I was ground balancing, I wasn't really doing anything 😄 

Okay, thought you guys were talking about the EQX, not the GPX, threw me for a loop.  All good 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...