What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?

Redneck

needs to be lite like the deus with a 9inch coil easy to pack ,i doubt if minelab cud make a light machine which is ergonomic ,their machines are made for big brute aussies  instead of old timers

copy xp deus and theyre spot on but they cant do it

Quote:"Their machines are made for big brute Aussies"
The Equinox isn't that heavy. The lower rod is proper wound carbon fibre ( rather than moulded plastic loaded with carbon fibres ) , so it's pretty light and stiff. And if you examine the aluminium rods, you will find they are not a standard wall thickness, the are noticeably thinner. Imperial 7/8" size tubes typically have wall thickness of 48 thou, 50 thou, 58 thou ( 1.22mm , 1.27mm , 1.47mm ) , and these are what you find on many detectors, ( and hospital crutches, radio antennas etc ). The Equinox uses 40 thou / 1mm wall thickness tubes, and so are lighter as a result.
It feels a bit heavy because the stock 11" coil is large as 'standard' coils go, and a heavy coil will always be felt, being situated on the end of a long shaft. You are right in saying a 9" coil as a 'stock' option may have been a good marketing strategy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest the single-frequency modes on the X-Terra Pro perform better than the similar modes on the Equinox, particularly on a wet beach environment.

It seems likely the Equinox had most of it's R&D put into multi-IQ, and the single-freq modes were provided as an 'easy to include' addition. Whereas the the X-Terra Pro only has single frequency modes, so no doubt some design thought was put into their operation.

SO, it would be nice if any Equinox update could include improved single-freq modes, based on X-TerraPro "know-how".

I know this is an old thread, but since it's been bumped recently, I'm going to throw my .02 in for whatever comes next. 😁

"What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?"

1) As lightweight or even lighter than the current Deus 2. Use carbon fiber wherever possible. Even on the coil casing, arm cuff and grip.

2) Lower shaft should be mounted in the CENTER of the coil. Not offset.

3) Entire shaft should be very rigid. Again, using carbon fiber. This is a high end machine, so why not?

4) Shaft should be keyed like the current Deus 2 and Legend, so that it doesn't rotate. 

5) Shaft should be clearly marked with adjustment lines so that we can quickly extend it to our desired length.

6) Coil cable should be concealed inside the shaft, similar to the CTX, or make it completely wireless like the Deus.

7) A comfortable ergonomic grip, yet still easy to clean. 

8 ) A functional stand. This really shouldn't have to be mentioned, but.... (ahem, XP).

9) The display should be in color and easy to read without glare.

10) The pinpoint button should be trigger style. Activated with the index finger. Similar to the CTX and the older White's units like the V3i, XLT and DFX.

11) All other buttons should be within thumbs reach. No more buttons mounted on the SIDE of the detector.

12) The menu should be well thought out and easy to navigate.

13) Give it descriptive audio like the Deus 2, good visual aids like the Manticore. Audio should be highly configurable to the user's preference.

14) Depth, separation and EMI handling should be as good or better than the current crop of high end detectors.

15) Lots of coil options upon release.

16) Charging connections should be as quick and easy as possible. Magnetic works well enough.

17) Bonus points for a wireless pinpointer running same disc as the detector. Similar to the old Sunray probes, but smaller and wireless.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, Rattlehead said:

I know this is an old thread, but since it's been bumped recently, I'm going to throw my .02 in for whatever comes next. 😁

"What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?"

1) As lightweight or even lighter than the current Deus 2. Use carbon fiber wherever possible. Even on the coil casing, arm cuff and grip.

3) Entire shaft should be very rigid. Again, using carbon fiber. This is a high end machine, so why not?

4) Shaft should be keyed like the current Deus 2 and Legend, so that it doesn't rotate. 

5) Shaft should be clearly marked with adjustment lines so that we can quickly extend it to our desired length.

6) Coil cable should be concealed inside the shaft, similar to the CTX, or make it completely wireless like the Deus.

8 ) A functional stand. This really shouldn't have to be mentioned, but.... (ahem, XP).

10) The pinpoint button should be trigger style. Activated with the index finger. Similar to the CTX and the older White's units like the V3i, XLT and DFX.

11) All other buttons should be within thumbs reach. No more buttons mounted on the SIDE of the detector.

13) Give it descriptive audio like the Deus 2, good visual aids like the Manticore. Audio should be highly configurable to the user's preference.

14) Depth, separation and EMI handling should be as good or better than the current crop of high end detectors.

16) Charging connections should be as quick and easy as possible. Magnetic works well enough.

17) Bonus points for a wireless pinpointer running same disc as the detector. Similar to the old Sunray probes, but smaller and wireless. 

Oh man DeWayne that was spot on, the only thing I might add it a minerallisation meter like on the Fishers. Not sure if that was mentioned. I had hopes of a Bluetooth pinpointer back in 2018 when they announced the 800 was compatible with 4 devices.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 3:56 PM, Rattlehead said:

Spot on but I would like it to include a module as well  improved battery and run time.

• Like 2