This Is A Forum For People Who Use Garrett Detectors And Like Them

This is a Garrett forum for people who like Garrett detectors, so they can learn about how to get the best out of them. If you want to compare brands, or just state your negative opinion of Garrett or it's products, please use the appropriate forums, like the Advice & Comparisons Forum. Thanks.

• Like 5

On 10/31/2020 at 5:49 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

This is a Garrett forum for people who like Garrett detectors, so they can learn about how to get the best out of them. If you want to compare brands, or just state your negative opinion of Garrett or it's products, please use the appropriate forums, like the Advice & Comparisons Forum. Thanks.

Steve, I couldn't agree more.  I have brand-specific Forums on my site and it isn't easy to keep all conversations 'On-Topic' related to a brand because there are too many other-brand or model loyalists who like to put a lot of detectors down .... if it isn't what they happen to like and use.    I try to keep things in line as best i can, and to be honest, we don't have as many gripers as I find here on your forums. 

As you know I've been enjoying this great sport for a good while now, and I own and use an assortment of detectors I happen to like.  That includes two of the Apex devices, and I've been waiting to have smaller coils available for them so I can properly outfit mine for different applications. 

Perfect?  Nope, but there isn't  'perfect' detector made, but it is a positive move from Garrett with a new concept that works well.  I've had a lot of projects going on, house remodeling, and a bit of health issues the past several months so I haven't been as active on your Forums.  I'm back in the game now .... and Garrett topics will be here on the Garrett Forum.

Monte

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monte said:

I try to keep things in line as best i can, and to be honest, we don't have as many gripers as I find here on your forums. 

It’s by design. I use as light a touch as possible, and I do not consider hardly anyone on this forum to be a griper. More like demanding users who in many cases are better detectorists than you or I. People reporting their honest experiences are not griping, and I value thoughtful critical commentary over salesmanship.

What I see elsewhere is significant pushback against anyone saying anything remotely negative about the Apex. I think people should be listening to it, instead of being so intent on rebutting it. There is a balance to be had, and I do not want to suppress critical commentary. It just needs to be constructive and in the right place. It’s a balancing act, one I’ll never get right, but long story short, I’ll take a few “gripers” over none at all. :smile:

I personally think the Apex is better than some users have made it out to be, but not as good as dealer interests would have us believe.

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better! I have to admit age is slowing me down also.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2020 at 7:42 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s by design. I use as light a touch as possible, and I do not consider hardly anyone on this forum to be a griper. More like demanding users who in many cases are better detectorists than you or I. People reporting their honest experiences are not griping, and I value thoughtful critical commentary over salesmanship.

What I see elsewhere is significant pushback against anyone saying anything remotely negative about the Apex. I think people should be listening to it, instead of being so intent on rebutting it. There is a balance to be had, and I do not want to suppress critical commentary. It just needs to be constructive and in the right place. It’s a balancing act, one I’ll never get right, but long story short, I’ll take a few “gripers” over none at all. :smile:

I personally think the Apex is better than some users have made it out to be, but not as good as dealer interests would have us believe.

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better! I have to admit age is slowing me down also.

Steve, I align with you when it comes to folks presenting thoughtful comments and not salesmanship.  I was not singling out your website when I used the word 'gripers' and perhaps picked the wrong term.  There are the 'griping' people on a few other forums that I visit now and then, or maybe just read, and they get annoying.  More thoughtful and considerate folks here, like on my Forums.  I do get a bit bothered when you have a specific brand forum, however, and you get those who just want to pop on and promote a different brand they favor.  Like you, I enjoy 'constructive' discussions.

I, too, really like the Garrett Apex and enjoy using mine.  Heading out again in about four hours when it get light and warms up.  This place is open and the stock 6X11 DD is doing OK.  I have a few other places, however, where a more mid-size 5X8 DD will be handier, and as more folks latch on to different coils from Garrett or NE L, I'm sure we ought to hear more positive, constructive comments.

By the way, the Apex, with only the one available search coil, did quite well in a 10-model testing session I did over the past week or so.  It made me feel even better about this unit knowing there are now going to be accessory coils to broaden its applications.

As for health, I guess I am feeling as well as I can, but sadly my detecting-time is much more abbreviated the last several month.  I feel those good-old-days of long-duration hunts are a thing of the past.  I'm working to trim my detector outfit because I have excess from a 10-unit evaluation I just did of brand new detectors for $550 and under.  Need to part with most of those new detectors and I am including a few of my own pristine detectors as I just have to wind things down to what I can use for when I can hunt.   Bummer.:sad:

In my 'medicine cabinet' there is: :fisher::garrett::minelab::nokta::tesoro::whites:

guess if I take the right dose of each I'll hang in there a while longer.:smile:

Monte

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

so on a scale from 1-10 the apex is a 5 and somedays a 6? but its all about perspective. so for some people it could be a 9 and at top of the ace series. sort of reminds me of the whites tdi-sl, with the right perspective and using it in it's proper environment it was in my mind a very good detector