Remounting Pick Handle (advice Request)

16 minutes ago, Tom Slick said:

Your Family Heirloom is a US Military trenching pick.

That explains a lot (possibly how it got into the family collection).  Do you think the Navy (ground crews, etc.) used them?  My father in law, among other things, built runways on South Pacific islands during WWII, often by planing down the coral with dozers, etc.  This came from his (utilitarian) tool collection.  His PBY squadron was often the first to set foot on an island after it was 'made safe' by the Marines.

Thanks for that tidbit.  Sometimes I post questions here and barely get a response.  This thread has produced quite a few valuable replies.  Thanks to all.

• Like 1

4850C7D1-87CA-451E-A821-713D6E3AC720.thumb.jpeg.cb5a7bc3a3cd22f41396948c234ca8b7.jpegWest marine sells a product that will do some amazing restoration to rotted wood I used some to restore the wood inside the transom of an old fiberglass boat I put back into service. This was a 2 part epoxy injected into the area that had lost integrity due to dry rot using a mixing nozzle attached to the cartridge. What was basically saw dust sandwiched between fiberglass after injecting the epoxy into a series of small holes drilled into the fiberglass filling all the voids after curing was solid as a rock....but, it was kind of pricy and definitely cost you more than a new handle.

• Like 2