High Frequecy Pin Pointer

I agree .12 is large but suprised the profind is edged bout by a $60 pp. The PF will just start falsing for no apparent reason, this is my 3rd and probably needs to be rma'd again.

Updside on my BEII is I put a toggle switch on it, just flick it on and search, thats it, no calibration sequence, no fancy alarms, bells or whistles. Never falses out.

Wonder why they never put a discrim knob on a pp so we could eliminate bits of iron?

• Like 2

Quote  "Wonder why they never put a discrim knob on a pp so we could eliminate bits of iron?"

What about sticking a magnet on the end of the probe, I would only use a probe where I had to use a hammer & chisel or Jackhammer. One less bit of baggage I have to carry.😀

• Like 2

The question is like insecure ..is discrimination against iron on pinpinters .. I don't use it on Profind 35 ... because I don't consider it reliable ... and the identification of iron is still in a very short range..so only it would delay me too much in the next detection ..

..but here it must be admitted that ordinary pinpointers are more built to detect coins and small objects ... but not directly to micro pieces of gold ..

... in this case I can't compete with a good detector on small 4 "-5" -6 "coils ... in range and sensitivity yet ..

2.8mm-0.07 gram 18k earrings white gold -2.4cm.. at 11khz..
2.8mm-0.07 gram 18k earrings yellow gold-3cm..at 11khz..

IMG_20200906_000526.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

.12 is quite large, I want a pin pointer for 0.0X up to 0.1 of a gram.

My F-pulse randomly starts falsing, I thought it was my Nox causing it but it doesn't seem to be as it did it my my GBP the other day too.  I have to turn it off and on again to fix it.  I've only had it a couple of months and it's the pin pointer I'm least impressed by so far.  On the plus side it works to a point where the Pro Pointer AT can't at the black sand beaches.

I have seen where you normally set sensitivity on your Nox, Simon. So, for example, if I set my sensitivity on my Equinox above 20 and have the coil within 3 feet of either of my F-Pulse/Tek-Point pinpointers, they will start randomly beeping just laying on the ground, on the toe of my not steel toed boot or just holding them up in the air. If I turn the sensitivity down on the Equinox or any other detector I use or make sure that I put the coil down well away from where I am using my Tek-Point there is no problem. I have my Tek-Point set on full sensitivity and sometimes the highly mineralized ground in my area will set it off too. I just had my original, almost two year old, still under warranty Tek-Point that was the first version, completely replaced by a brand new one by First Texas for free. Thank you First Texas!!!! That Tek-Point had at least 3,000 hours of use and still kind of worked. The new one does the exact same thing if it is anywhere near the coil of any of my detectors I'm using when sensitivity is "in the red zone". 

This has been a great topic so far. I hope FTP actually will come out with a PI pinpointer that has more small gold friendly pulse delay lengths. Right now, the Whites TRX and the XP MI-4/MI-6 are the best that I have found on small gold. Aussie Detectorist did a Youtube video comparison recently. His gold must be chunkier or less porous than my Colorado/Arizona gold. I do not quite get the same results on the MI-4/6 that he does. My .1 gram, really small nuggets are detected by my MI-6 at around 1 cm. and 1 gram nuggets hit around 2.5 cm. The entire tip and about an inch on the sides of the MI-6 are sensitive enough to get those results. A TRX I tried was just a bit less sensitive. My Tek-Points will not respond to the .1 gram nuggets unless they are touching the tip. They do fine on .5 gram nuggets and larger.

• Like 2

Yep, the F-Pulse/Tek-Points do really well in mineralized dirt for sure. They are super sensitive however. I usually put my Equinox down laying next to me when I am digging a target so it is parallel to me (pointing at 12 on a clock face) with the coil about 2 feet from the target. When I am running the Equinox hot, I put it down at a right angle to me with the coil pointing at 3 or 9 (depending on swing arm) on a clock face. If I still get interference after doing a noise cancel just like you described, I will set it down parallel to me but with the coil behind me pointing at 6 on a clock face. That usually takes care of it. 

Gold prospecting for tiny Colorado/Arizona gold.......I don't bother with a pinpointer. It's just something else that I am likely to lose on a steep, boulder strewn hillside or under a jumping cactus!!! I do use two identical scoops since I have done the bare hand coil swiping method a few times with a scorpion, buckthorn or cat's claw bush thorn mixed in with the dirt......not fun.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 11:06 PM, phrunt said:

I honestly struggle to find targets and with most of our gold very small it can be a difficult task, it's not unheard of I spend 10 minutes or more trying to find a target.  The GM1000 as a Mini monster has been my solution too, but I'd still prefer a real pin pointer that is as sensitive or similar.   Surely it's possible to make one.

IMG_20200906_195342.thumb.jpg.b07360142bf22a264497c2427fd29f62.jpg

I turned my GM into one of Simon’s mini monster detectors. I also used the original lower of the three piece shaft (use innertube rubber for spacers under the clamps as the lower diameter is too small otherwise) to turn it into a hybrid pointer and detector. I keep the other two threaded original shaft pieces as an extension and put the arm cuff on the end and will be attaching a GP handle to it as well.  The GM main unit is so light, it can work just as well closer to the coil end of the shaft instead of up at the opposite end near the arm cuff, and sensitivity does not appear to be affected.