Am I Doing My Land Rights Homework Correctly? (weekend Trip To Az)

I'm going to be in AZ this weekend and I think I've found a good spot that allows for prospecting. Since it's my first time detecting, I wanted to make sure I've done my due diligence.

The spot is Saddle Mountain, AZ. General coordinates: 33.445615°, -113.013318°

I have verified that this is BLM land, and that it's not a wilderness area, and that it's not within a National Monument. I've checked on landmatters to verify that there aren't any active claims on the area (although there are historic claims, which I hope is a good sign). Is there any other research I need to do? I know there are some petroglyphs on the site, and I'd stay far away from those, but other than that, most of the mountain looks pretty open.

BLM maps screenshot

734363321_Screenshot_2020-11-04BLMNationalData.thumb.jpg.42fb534a05c5980315416123bda9cf10.jpg

Land matters screenshot

1764872279_Screenshot_2020-11-04LandMattersCaliforniaMiningClaims.thumb.png.c798ae92b64f1052ab6a4edd82be597c.png

To determine land status in Arizona you will want to use the Land Matters Arizona Land Status map - not the mining claims map.

The Arizona Land Status map will provide you with every land status issue with a single click on the map in your area of interest. Not just mining claims and wilderness areas but all land status is presented. It includes withdrawals of all kinds, leases, permits, grazing,  ACECs, Surveys, CDIs, mining plans and notices, patents and more than a dozen other status categories. It even presents mineral and surface ownership on forest and state lands which you won't find on the BLM. It truly is all inclusive.

The mining claims maps are very popular, many thousands of maps an hour are provided to Land Matters users, but they only feature mining claims. There is a lot more to land status than mining claims and management agencies.

For the particular area you are interested in you should probably be aware that the State of Arizona believes some of the minerals on the BLM managed land are owned by them. You can see those areas on the map by turning on the "Arizona State Mineral Ownership" map layer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clay Diggins said:

To determine land status in Arizona you will want to use the Land Matters Arizona Land Status map - not the mining claims map.

The Arizona Land Status map will provide you with every land status issue with a single click on the map in your area of interest. Not just mining claims and wilderness areas but all land status is presented. It includes withdrawals of all kinds, leases, permits, grazing,  ACECs, Surveys, CDIs, mining plans and notices, patents and more than a dozen other status categories. It even presents mineral and surface ownership on forest and state lands which you won't find on the BLM. It truly is all inclusive.

The mining claims maps are very popular, many thousands of maps an hour are provided to Land Matters users, but they only feature mining claims. There is a lot more to land status than mining claims and management agencies.

For the particular area you are interested in you should probably be aware that the State of Arizona believes some of the minerals on the BLM managed land are owned by them. You can see those areas on the map by turning on the "Arizona State Mineral Ownership" map layer.

This is extremely helpful - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Like 1