Greenhorn Gold Digger Want To Be From North Eastern Ontario Canada..

little_fellow

Welcome to the forum and I am sure that there will be plenty of people to help you here.

Steve also has some information about many subjects in his database section.

Please show some of your finds when you start your collection of gold.

• Like 3

Welcome, little_fellow!  There is also silver in your province.  Check out posts made by fellow Ontario resident Jim Hemmingway in which he shows pictures of his native silver finds and talks about his adventures.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/search/?&q=silver&author=Jim Hemmingway&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Like 3

On 11/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, little_fellow!  There is also silver in your province.  Check out posts made by fellow Ontario resident Jim Hemmingway in which he shows pictures of his native silver finds and talks about his adventures.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/search/?&q=silver&author=Jim Hemmingway&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not sure what to do first. Should I just start panning or should I try with a metal detector. There is lots of mineral on my land. In the early years of 1900 this area was booming with people looking for mineral and like you said , silver is in abundance in this area . My property was prospected and possibly mined a bit. There is quite a few shallow holes here and there on it where the ground was tested. There is quite a few old silver mines on properties near mine. I don't have the mineral rights for my property but I believe I can still prospect for surface mineral. Any suggestion on how I should get started?

Welcome to the forum LF! Glad to have you!

Did you say you own the property, but don't  have the mineral rights?? Who does?? I'm not familiar on how that works, but I'm sure others here do!!

As far as where to start, i would think with the mineral rights owner for permission!  Give us some more information, on land usage, what equipment you own, and what experience you have, so that we can better help you, as best we can!! Good Luck!!👍👍

1 minute ago, Joe D. said:

Welcome to the forum LF! Glad to have you!

Did you say you own the property, but don't  have the mineral rights?? Who does?? I'm not familiar on how that works, but I'm sure others here do!!

As far as where to start, i would think with the mineral rights owner for permission!  Give us some more information, on land usage, what equipment you own, and what experience you have, so that we can better help you, as best we can!! Good Luck!!👍👍

Yes, I don't own the mineral rights. I've owned this property ( 120 acres ) for about 5 or 6 years now. I built a road right through it and I have a hunting camp on it. I'm not convinced that approaching the mineral rights owner is favorable. The way they acquired the rights is by spending a certain amount of money doing the prospecting and what else to acquire the mineral rights. That being said, I believe anyone has the right on surface minerals. What I'd like to know is. Do I start with a pan or a metal detector. I do have a pan but I don't have a metal detector yet.

• Like 1

Well, if the owner is not approachable, i understand! I would make certain what the definition of surface hunting is in your area, and what's legal! Than go from there! I'm a detector guy near beaches, so i won't be a huge help in gold hunting! But we have a huge number of dedicated gold hunters here to assist you! Your area, and the type of gold (or silver) you are looking for, will help them! Do you have a stream or river? Or is it all dry land hunting?

If there are nuggets of any size, than a specific detector is in order! But they can get pricey fast, hence the pro's need to chime in! And also, ease of use, since you are a novice detector user!

Other than that, do you have any coins, jewelry,  historic artifacts, or sight finds like arrowheads ,etc.. on the property? That's the stuff where i have experience!!

If you start a new Topic under the categories that you have interest in, you will get a bigger response! This being the Meet and Greet section; is limited in responders to those of us who are greeters!!😁

Keep us up to date, how you progress! I know that I'm excited for you to find what you want to hunt for!!👍👍

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Well, if the owner is not approachable, i understand! I would make certain what the definition of surface hunting is in your area, and what's legal! Than go from there! I'm a detector guy near beaches, so i won't be a huge help in gold hunting! But we have a huge number of dedicated gold hunters here to assist you! Your area, and the type of gold (or silver) you are looking for, will help them! Do you have a stream or river? Or is it all dry land hunting?

If there are nuggets of any size, than a specific detector is in order! But they can get pricey fast, hence the pro's need to chime in! And also, ease of use, since you are a novice detector user!

Other than that, do you have any coins, jewelry,  historic artifacts, or sight finds like arrowheads ,etc.. on the property? That's the stuff where i have experience!!

If you start a new Topic under the categories that you have interest in, you will get a bigger response! This being the Meet and Greet section; is limited in responders to those of us who are greeters!!😁

Keep us up to date, how you progress! I know that I'm excited for you to find what you want to hunt for!!👍👍

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Joe D. I'm glad to be part of the gang. Have a great day and hope to hear from you again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, little_fellow said:

Should I just start panning or should I try with a metal detector.

I wouldn't buy a metal detector yet.  The first thing you should do is find out your rights.  You could start a new thread in the main forum (https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/forum/4-detector-prospector-forum/).  Title it something like "seeking information on Canadian mining laws".  Then ask your questions about mineral rights, ownership rights, etc.

Assuming you have some rights to recover gold on your property, the next step is to find out what size gold has been mined there and in your area.  Some locations have only tiny gold which will not be detectable.  Size matters!

I mentioned member Jim Hemmigway earlier.  You could send him a private message via the little envelope icon on the very top of the detectorprospector site you are viewing right now.  It's located at the far upper right corner.  Just give him a brief overview like you have here and ask for his advice on proceding.

Even if you have no mineral rights on your property there still are possibly areas not far from you that you can prospect and maybe even detect.  You're on the right track asking questions.  Persevere. 

• Like 3