One Suggestion For The Impulse AQ Going Forward

22 hours ago, cudamark said:

Another upgrade that has already been done (according to Fisher) is the lower clevis that is riveted to the lower shaft. That wishbone plastic piece breaks easily where it attaches to the tube. I just had mine break and from what I heard when I called Fisher, three others have broken too, and it's been redesigned to where it's now a solid piece instead of thin-wall hollow tube. As far as I know, I didn't do anything to make it break. I was just walking along swinging the coil over flat wet sand, I heard a light "crack" sound, and the coil just fell off. I'll let you know what the new one looks like when I get it. My shaft lock was a little tight getting loose, but, not too bad. I always rinse the whole detector after each use, and I have collapsed the shaft a few times when I needed to shorten it for transport. So far, so good in that area. Might be a good idea for everyone to do that every now and then just to keep it from freezing up. The second photo in TVR's post looks like a Plugger clamp setup, one similar to the one I have on my Equinox. So far, that clamp has been working fine, but, I'm a bit disappointed that the bolt is not stainless, so, it rusts. The wing nut is stainless, but, not the bolt for some reason. The upper clamp has all plastic nuts and bolts, but, they're kind of wimpy. The ears on the wing nuts have all broken off, but, since I don't usually take that clamp loose, it hasn't been a problem yet.

Mine broke also. Same story, just walking down the beach and it fell off. I have no idea how I broke it..

Cheers,

Tim

Has anyone removed the pins to see if the remainder of the clevis  is epoxied to the lower shaft ?

2 hours ago, Carolina said:

Has anyone removed the pins to see if the remainder of the clevis  is epoxied to the lower shaft ?

I did. It did not appear to be epoxied in but it did not come out easily so I left it in place, stuck a wooden dowel in, epoxied it and put nylon nut and bolt in as a field expedient repair.

I have not ordered a replacement yet.

Tim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2020 at 3:53 PM, Badger-NH said:

I'll second the MDT clamps. They are the best I've seen as well.

Many after market shaft makers are using this style.  I did them really far superior and they don’t go bad.  One thing I do suggest for water hunters .... if it only has one button spring clip swap it out and make it two.  Coil size and water torque will still allow movement.... and WILL wear the lower CF shaft

On 11/7/2020 at 11:12 AM, Carolina said:

Yes, I pulled the pins initially to see if just the clevis was replaceable. Nope, the broken stub inside the tube was glued in. Very thin walled tube, so, they're going to have more breaking, I guarantee it. Fisher emailed me a prepaid shipping label and the old part is on it's way back, if they haven't already received it.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my new lower shaft and clevis today. I'm pleased to see that it's longer than the original one. Since the clevis is attached to the shaft, there's no way to see if it's now solid instead of hollow. Hopefully it's at least made of a thicker wall plastic. Hopefully, I'll get out soon and give it a good test now that I have one of OBN's batteries and the new shaft.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cudamark said:

I received my new lower shaft and clevis today. I'm pleased to see that it's longer than the original one. Since the clevis is attached to the shaft, there's no way to see if it's now solid instead of hollow. Hopefully it's at least made of a thicker wall plastic. Hopefully, I'll get out soon and give it a good test now that I have one of OBN's batteries and the new shaft.

You will like the battery! Nice to do a full hunt and not worry about it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cudamark said:

I have three different lower shafts. One was a complimentary shaft when my first AQ was replaced. This gave me two of the same length. My second AQ purchase has a lower shaft that is two inches longer than the other two. On purpose ? Quality control ? You should be able to open up a wire coat hanger and make it straight and measure the depth of the lower shaft. Keep in mind you need to clear the two pins. My three are hollow.