New Sand Scoop From Nokta Makro

I don't want a tiny scoop. Everyone has their preference. I want a large scoop for fast work. This gets the large amount and spits it back out. More sand, faster processing, more chance to get the junk first scoop in less time. For me, that's the goal. This scoop has no competition in this way.

I think I know what you are saying, small scoop, less area, better penetration with less effort. I'm hoping the sharp front edge will assist in wet sand. My targets are in the first 6-8". I don't need to go deep. 

I need to have one in my hands to see for real. So, soon I'll know. I'm not tied to any brand. I just need to find what works and that will be my tool. Sometimes, I try something that looks like it could work for me. That's how I've found my best tools.

10 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

Just ordered one. I went through the small hole vs big hole thought process. I came to this conclusion. Most stuff is junk. I want to rip past all the junk I possibly can fast and efficiently. What I saw in this is exactly that.

My further conclusion was, the time saved on junk can be spent looking for that rare small piece. Sure, small foil, earings etc will fall through. I can recover that with another method.

However, I may not have made it to that small target before the day is gone if I can't get through the trash fast enough. This just flys through the sand, especially underwater, it's almost instant. I saw some videos and it was quick.

It has 7/16 holes. Most rings and coins are gonna stay put. I'm looking at this for tourist beach water hunting about waist deep and small holes don't work very fast in wet sand. Small holes work a little faster when in water, you get the tiny bits, but, I bet if I had one of the Notka scoops, and you had one with those 7mm holes, I'll have more stuff at the end of the day. I'll still even be able to get the tiny stuff to because I'll have more time to deal with that. So, does this make sense or am I dreaming? 

I'll have one by next week in time for the summer tourist season.

No one is going to convince you otherwise. It is 35 years of water hunting that allows us to see this scoop will not work well in waist deep water. After you chase that small target falling through the scoop thinking it is deeper or off to the side, a hybrid scoop would have already done the job. Also, clay, gravel, shell and rocks will destroy this scoop. This scoop has welds and some rough ones if you blow up the picture. Even wet sand will give this scoop trouble. The back plate will start to cave in, and the nose of the skin will become dented and where the plate for the handle is welded will be where it breaks. Can’t tell how long the handle is but if your tall, odds are it’s to short. The one nice thing is it looks like you can raise the handle to 90 degrees. In rough surf that is nice as you can quickly get the nose of the scoop up to trap targets in rough water. I would say, at best this is a dry sand scoop. I wish you all the luck and if you buy a second scoop, I suggest a Stealth 720i or 920i by SunSpot. There are several quality scoops out there though so good luck. Weight is another factor and a nice CF handle lightens the load.

• Like 1

I am going to use this at a lake. No shells, no surf, almost zero rocks, lots of large grain granite sand. It doesn't compact like ocean sand. I found a buffalo nickle 1" under the sand 30 feet from shore when the lake was down. 

I agree that this basket will not have the same properties as a solid scoop with spaced holes. I won't need much pressure to dig here.

I'm not worried about dropping tiny bits. I have more time to concentrate on those with other methods because I can save time digging trash. 

I know my situation is completely different than ocean surf lines. That's why I like this scoop. It's a lake, water doesn't move, pinpointing is poinless. grabbing a large amount of potential target material is what I am thinking will speed this process of finding TRASH. It is a theory. I have no experience with this scoop. I will soon and know for sure.

4 minutes ago, Tahoegold said:

I am going to use this at a lake. No shells, no surf, almost zero rocks, lots of large grain granite sand. It doesn't compact like ocean sand. I found a buffalo nickle 1" under the sand 30 feet from shore when the lake was down. 

I agree that this basket will not have the same properties as a solid scoop with spaced holes. I won't need much pressure to dig here.

I'm not worried about dropping tiny bits. I have more time to concentrate on those with other methods because I can save time digging trash. 

I know my situation is completely different than ocean surf lines. That's why I like this scoop. It's a lake, water doesn't move, pinpointing is poinless. grabbing a large amount of potential target material is what I am thinking will speed this process of finding TRASH. It is a theory. I have no experience with this scoop. I will soon and know for sure.

Like I said, no one is going to convince you otherwise. You will learn yourself. 

I just checked out the Stealth 720i or 920i. These scoops also have thin areas of metal between each hole. So, It appears thin metal between holes can still be a popular sand scoop.

So far, speculation on Notka's scoop not being sturdy has not been proven by a user with experience here, using it, AND an other brand for comparison. 

The one video I saw it was used in harsh oceanside beaches with mostly gravel. He has used several scoops and they wore out. He said this scoop was surprisingly sturdy. He used it for several trips and it did a good job and looked un fazed. So, I'm hoping, in my mild sand, it will be a good fit. Notice that the scoop itself, is replaceable. I know it wont last forever. Things wear out. It's nice to be able to keep the handles. And, the angle can adjust for the best work angle. It is an interesting looking tool. I will reserve judgment until put to actual use.

I do appreciate the opinions. I am just trying it out. Hopefully, in my area, it's the ticket!

32 minutes ago, Tahoegold said:

So far, speculation on Notka's scoop not being sturdy has not been proven by a user with experience here, using it, AND an other brand for comparison.

Well we will wait for your review in a year! 😉 

• Like 2

So, out of curiosity, I checked out the stealth scoops. Oh my, they are $250! I am sure they are top notch and may be a better buy if they last. However, I should say, my budget is around $125 tops. So, the scoops in this range seem to be all about the same. They are fixed angle and either small or large hole, etc.

I would love one of those Stealth scoops!! They have small holes in the bottom. I will most likely do a mod with some screen to catch the tiny stuff. I like to mod stuff to my liking and I'm sure that's what I'll do with this. Also, one guy said it may be a little heavy, so, another mod may be a pool noodle for a little buoyancy. If it's really heavy and not to my liking I may change my mind and send it back. It's going to be put to the test soon. Got my notice it's on the way! 

On 11/6/2020 at 9:05 PM, TallTom said:

This is an interesting product.  I looked on the website and didn't see any instruction booklet or assembly instructions.

Maybe it's so simple that none are needed.

However, I was hoping to read them so I could understand better how the adjustment mechanism works, and how long I could extend the long handle, and whether any longer extension might be available (or possible for the user to rig together).  I'm tall, and "normal" length products often don't fit me.

Also, of course, I'd be happy to offer edits to the instructions if I thought any would be useful.  I've done that for previous Nokta Makro products. (Dilek has quickly incorporated my suggestions, so I guess they were welcome.)  And now that I live near the beach, I could actually do some thorough testing!

Are instructions coming?

There are no instructions included in the box when you receive it either and does take a little bit to figure out how it goes together but once you do it works pretty good, I purchased one to use in tot lots and its pretty heavy duty in my opinion, I had to get something to do tot lots after catching covid I have a heck of a time getting back up off the ground can not say how it would work in wet sand but I will say it works great for what I purchased it for

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 7:17 AM, Carolina said:

This would never hold up to water hunting. Dry sand only would be my guess.

I will say there are a lot of people using the Nokta/Macro sand scoop on beaches I personally know 4 people that detect salt water beaches and have that particular scoop and the four people I know love them, I would not use mine in a area with a lot of rocks but wet sand I would not be afraid of it breaking, just my opinion as I do not detect wet salt water beaches, it is well made is all I will say and serves me well for what I purchased it for which is tot lot sand boxes

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

I just checked out the Stealth 720i or 920i. These scoops also have thin areas of metal between each hole. So, It appears thin metal between holes can still be a popular sand scoop.

The one video I saw it was used in harsh oceanside beaches with mostly gravel. He has used several scoops and they wore out. He said this scoop was surprisingly sturdy. He used it for several trips and it did a good job and looked un fazed. So, I'm hoping, in my mild sand, it will be a good fit. Notice that the scoop itself, is replaceable. I know it wont last forever. Things wear out. It's nice to be able to keep the handles. And, the angle can adjust for the best work angle. It is an interesting looking tool. I will reserve judgment until put to actual use.

I do appreciate the opinions. I am just trying it out. Hopefully, in my area, it's the ticket!

The Stealth scoops have many models. Some have 7/16th holes only or hybrid models, with the rear of the skin with slits, others with 1/8th inch holes. They offer different mouth openings also. They are 2mm stainless steel with a lifetime replacement warranty. Ruslan Stavrinskia from Odessa Ukraine makes several nice scoops in your price range I believe. They are known as Stavr scoops. They too are 2mm skins. There are many cheaper scoops made of 1 1/2mm stainless on the market.  All US made scoops fetch a higher price than those of third world countries. That’s not to say they are better, just the nature of the beast for many reasons. Here are some pics of scoops I have used over 30 plus years of water hunting. I hunt regularly 11 months of the year. The 3 scoops side by side get the most use. L to R, Stealth hybrid, DiAblo aircraft aluminum prototype, with a higher tensile strength of SS, the only scoop in the world with zero welds, and finally a Stavr scoop. They cover a range of strata from wet granular sand to gravel and shell to baseball size rock. I include a pic of one of the favorite Stavr scoops with 1/2” holes in the skin and a backplate with .35” holes. I think this scoop would serve you well. Also some more scoops used over the years. You can buy $80 scoops and others as much as $600 each. There is a wide variety offered. I wish you many years of success in the water. 

9DAD19C6-B2F2-4022-A705-64C4EFF52EB3.jpeg

D20D71A3-1E6E-44E1-A2D5-27D921BE8743.jpeg

C1BE5CEC-E8F5-40B1-A628-5938BB87B2D0.jpeg