New Sand Scoop From Nokta Makro

It looks like your aluminum scoop is holding up well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

It looks like your aluminum scoop is holding up well.

4 years of regular use on this proto type. Lightest scoop I own also. I believe it’s 3440 aircraft aluminum.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carolina said:

DiAblo aircraft aluminum prototype, with a higher tensile strength of SS, the only scoop in the world with zero welds

Thanks for posting all this information, it is a wealth of knowledge! Is this Diablo scoop still made?  Also where are you getting your CF rods from? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, midalake said:

Thanks for posting all this information, it is a wealth of knowledge! Is this Diablo scoop still made?  Also where are you getting your CF rods from? 

This scoop is one of 3 produced all with the duck bill. Olebeechnut had the only titanium version and I believe a gentleman up north ( maybe surf digger ) has the other aluminum model. They are no longer in production. The engineer lost interest but still holds the patent. I have 3 cf shaft manufacturers. The ones in the picture come from SunSpot ( $150 ) I also have another from Steve’s detector rods ( $120 without the nylon navigational cap ) and a travel handle two piece from Stavr scoops ( I believe $120 also ).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Carolina said:

This scoop is one of 3 produced all with the duck bill. Olebeechnut had the only titanium version and I believe a gentleman up north ( maybe surf digger ) has the other aluminum model. They are no longer in production. I have 3 cf shaft manufacturers. The ones in the picture come from SunSpot ( $150 ) I also have another from Steve’s detector rods ( $120 without the nylon navigational cap ) and a travel handle two piece from Stavr scoops ( I believe $120 also ).

UGH, that scoop caught my eye. With my rough surf and soft sand, I am always looking for more bucket than bill.  

Nice collection!!!! 

• Thanks 1

I looked up some about that aluminum and it is tough. It looks like Diablo Sand Scoops aren't around anymore unfortunately that I can find. 

Not to be sounding snippy, I just want to point out that this is about Notka's post about their scoop. I like all the side info, however, for those wanting info on the Notka scoop, we should probably get back to that topic. It's really about learning about this product. Don't get me wrong, you've expanded my knowledge of scoops for sure. I just think someone looking to buy may want to know specifics about Notka's version. 

Personally, I need this scoop for water in the lake. Most of the time I don't use a scoop. But since I bought my first waterproof Simplex+, I wanted something when wading in the water. I've never owned a scoop. This one comes with 3 possible size handles, adjustable angle, and lightening fast water sifting. All for the same price of most fixed scoops even some without a handle! So, it was a no brainer for me. Lot's of folks saying its sturdy. I can't wait until I have a chance to wade around the water in a beautiful lake looking for treasure with the right tools! 

I'm sure there's others that are better. There always is. I may buy one some day. So, let's keep this thread solid on the Notka for a knowledge base. I'll report back when I get it and again when I can use it. Thanks! TG

Hello all,

I got the scoop today! I like it. I put it together, took it out to my lawn, and stuck the point in until it stopped then stood on it. The point really helps it penetrate well. No wobble, no bending, no damage what so ever. I'm 6' 190lbs. So, who ever said it's not sturdy, well, I'm sayin' it's plenty sturdy for me. It may not be a pipe with holes in it sturdy, but, it will definitely do what I want it to do. Anything harder to dig in and I'm using my shovel!

So, the basket is stainless steel, the handle is aluminium. The frame that holds the handle has a good design. The angles give it strength and its welded to the basket with a continuous weld the entire length. There's zero wobble on the frame/basket junction. It holds the handle well. I could put a 2"pipe on it if I feel like it! There's a little wobble in the handle once snapped together. However, one wrap of 1"wide gorilla tape on each end and it is pretty solid. The handle has 2 snap button things that keep the handle from spinning once in the bucket bracket. I will probably wrap the aluminum handle to keep my hands from getting that black stuff from the aluminum.

So, I really just want this for rings. This will get them all. Earings I'm not interested in for a water hunt. I can put some wire mesh inside, but, that would defeat the speed this thing can achieve. 

It's not very heavy in my opinion. I can't wait to get into water hunting. Now, the snow has to melt and the lake needs to get warm!

I think I got a good value for what I got. If you need one strong as a frying pan with holes in it, this isn't that strong. But, it certainly isn't flimsy if I can stand on the back of it and bounce a little on it like I did!

• Like 3

Got the scoop out for a test run today. I'm very happy with it. It's doing what I need it to do. 

The pointed front seems to make digging easy. There is no visible damage, no bent places etc. I can see this scoop lasting years for me. It's sturdy for me. 

I modded the connections with a single layer wrap of 1" gorilla tape to stop the wobble and it works. That's on the male connecting posts. I put one layer on both ends of each male post connection.

I ran 3, 1" wide strips of gorilla tape along the length of the handle to prevent black aluminium stuff on my hands. 3 pieces length wise fit perfectly. 

I guess some folks have hard packed sand with gravel that need thick pipe scoops. I don't have that so, this fits the job for me. Also, it is fast. I can get past the junk to the goods better than ever now. 

I did have 3 things drop through about the size of an earing back which I found easily on top of the sand. If I were water hunting I wouldn't bother because I'm looking for coins and rings and pendants etc. so that stuff will absoultly be captured inside. No need for mesh. There you go. That's my experience with the Notka/Makro sand scoop! TG

• Like 2