Equinox Ground Balance Observations

longbow62

At Equinox, first of all, it must be said ... that it is one of the detectors used as one of the GB options .. so-called Factory GB detector balancing ... in this case it is GB 0 ... which is designed for various terrains from low and mild mineralization ... Why? because the stronger Mineralization of the terrain has a strong amplitude of the ground signal which will already be readable on the factory settings of Equinox .. and will often be transmitted as -8ID, -9ID .. when working on Allmetal at Equinox ..

Usually, such a factory GB balancing of the detector is solved to the value of GB, which is close enough to the value of GB on Ferrit - and in this case it guarantees stable detection in a sufficient range of field situations. GB in highly variable and unpredictable detection conditions .. where the GB factory settings provide a certain stability of the detector's work ...

This factory default detector balance is used by several detector manufacturers, Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, Rutus, Xp, with their detectors..and many detectors work really stably and excellently ... even if such a detector setting may not be maximal..the deepest ....

Another advantage of the factory GB is ... that it provides a certain reference point for the detector to which we can always return - and compare it, for example, with the manual setting of the GB.

Now for the quote at Equinox..with a manual GB in the series, the GB calculation can vary greatly according to the Type 1 and Type 2 programs used ... as well as the Recovery Speed level setting..these factors must be taken into account .. .

As for better depth and ID, it's better to focus on using the right Type 1/2 program for the terrain ... which can bring better benefits in detection ...

Another good advice is the use or non-use of work in Allmetall ,, in strong mineralization because in heavily mineralized terrain the use of All metall has a strong negative effect on the correct goals ID .. where the right goal can have IDs in negative numbers ...

I have the impression that in "all metal equinox" when calculating the ID, it significantly less filters the Terrain Signal and this in turn negatively affects the ID.

This is also the case with Vanquish when working in All metal ..., so for disputed signals use discrimination set to 0-1, or 2 ID ..,

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Another good advice is the use or non-use of work in Allmetall ,, in strong mineralization because in heavily mineralized terrain the use of All metall has a strong negative effect on the correct goals ID .. where the right goal can have IDs in negative numbers ...

I have the impression that in "all metal equinox" when calculating the ID, it significantly less filters the Terrain Signal and this in turn negatively affects the ID.

If I understand what you say, I'm surprised, and I don't recall anyone mentioning this (or if they did, I missed picking up on it).  Have you or anyone exhibited this in contolled (test bed/garden) conditions?

I've always assumed that notching out the lowest channels was the same as applying a sound filter to your headphones -- blocking out any sound from the low channels but otherwise doing nothing.  I do recall people setting tone breaks (and possibly notch discrimination breaks) at key locations to highlight certain targets by their erratic audio signals at those breaks, but it seems to me that what you are saying is a considerably more drastic effect.

• Like 1

For the first time I described this shortcoming in the use of All metal at Equinox, I described it in this article ..., but I also wrote a way to compensate for this shortcoming ...

... recently, when testing Vanquish 340 and more detectors, I did a similar test again in strong mineralization ... and compared the programs allmetall and Jewerly .. with the same result .... The program jewerly which has discrimination set to 0 ... could already give a signal with a positive ID ...

Another thing is ..some such a change from the All metall program to the Jeverly program with discrimination of 0 programs at the Vanquish 340 ..can be able to signal a dubious signal in the iron separation ...

program Coin can also do it, but count on a less regular signal because the V340's discrimination is set up to 10 ID .. and in our conditions we most often copy the signal from 5 IDs and more.

One piece of advice I can give is ... try and see ...

VID_20201018_143533 (2)_Moment(2).jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrain mineralization measured Tek.G2 is 7-bar Fe304... or full strength indicator bar mineralization on XP ORX ...

VID_20201105_190116_Moment.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A year and a half ago you told us this, but apparently in my case it went in one ear and out the other.  Thanks for your patience.  Although my ground is only moderately mineralized I still need to give this a try.  I've always been averse to using notching and threshhold discrimination except for one tone detectors (e.g. Tesoro Vaquero) but if it improves the VDI -- that's a different story.

Thanks, again El Nino77!

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 12:23 PM, Tom Slick said:

FloridaSon said " Most Beaches are GB=0

Does anyone else agree with that statement? I've hunted Saltwater Beaches on the East Coast and West Coast. Not to mention (oh, I just did) freshwater beaches all over the country. I know for a fact that CA beaches are totally different than Florida beaches as far as GB numbers go. Freshwater beaches are also totally different. 

Sorry, I am a little late to this thread. For salt water beach hunting. I have yet to find a program that will beat the machine in Auto/tracking Ground Balance.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 8:43 AM, Badger-NH said:

I wasn't aware that ground balance was capable of having any affect on depth. I will have to research this further.

This is from the Equinox manual, page 15 and there is a lot more great information about your statement elsewhere in the manual.

Ground Balance

Ground Balance is a variable setting that improves detection depth by reducing noise in mineralised ground. Mineralised ground may contain salts, e.g. wet beach sand, or fine iron particles, e.g. red soil. These minerals respond to a detector’s transmit field in a similar way that a target does. Due to the much larger mass of the ground compared to a buried target, the effect of mineralisation can easily mask small targets.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

This is from the Equinox manual, page 15 and there is a lot more great information about your statement elsewhere in the manual.

Ground Balance

Ground Balance is a variable setting that improves detection depth by reducing noise in mineralised ground. Mineralised ground may contain salts, e.g. wet beach sand, or fine iron particles, e.g. red soil. These minerals respond to a detector’s transmit field in a similar way that a target does. Due to the much larger mass of the ground compared to a buried target, the effect of mineralisation can easily mask small targets.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know how I missed that. I always do a ground balance when starting up the machine. It only takes a few seconds so I figure why not. I don't have much mineralization where I am so the affects of ground balancing on depth is not likely very dramatic. Our beaches are fairly quiet too.

20 hours ago, midalake said:

Sorry, I am a little late to this thread. For salt water beach hunting. I have yet to find a program that will beat the machine in Auto/tracking Ground Balance.  

I used AT/GB for a time but stopped because it seemed it was not as stable sounding? I might have to try it again. What kind of finds have you found with it? Thanks!

2 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

I used AT/GB for a time but stopped because it seemed it was not as stable sounding? I might have to try it again. What kind of finds have you found with it? Thanks!

Well, not sure what you mean by AT/GB? 

Since I have owned the Nox I have always run a secondary program against my Auto/tracking program on "iffy" signals. NOT ONE program to date including the CJC -9 GB program to the "0" fixed program have been able to beat the "auto/tracking" program.

I was in the process of another program comparison when my time was cut short. Hoping to get back on the machine soon. 

I have found everything from rings to chains. 

image.png.a67e490c53191a714967dbea15fb1580.png

Dave

• Like 2